2018 leak issue video

MikeM

TJ Enthusiast
Tumwater, Thurston County, WA, United States
In this short video the new Wrangler is taken to a car wash (not the automatic kind) and basically power sprayed to test for leaks. At first there were no leaks but when the doors were opened the water came in and it was just run off from the top not the power sprayer. Also it appears you can lift the automatic retracting roof with your fingers which in my mind is going to be an issue when driven at highway speeds in heavy rain. Worth a look anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
That automatic lifting roof just seems like something waiting to break, no?

Reactions: MikeM
That automatic lifting roof just seems like something waiting to break, no?

That was my first thought as well!!! I had the opportunity to buy any model Jeep that I wanted - I chose an 05 TJR, because I wasn't interested in a canbus, creature comforts, sensors, or the overall feeling that I'm driving a lifted Chrysler 300.

I'm (not) sorry, but less is definitely more in those regards!!!

The roof is cool but leaves too much metal around the top for real open air driving, I guess since they are offering traditional hard and soft tops this will be a neat feature for the soccer mom. They are making it very appealing to the masses which still trickles down to us TJ guys as it will keep more suppliers of all jeep parts in the game.

Exactly my thought was at highway speeds it is going to break down the seal and leak like a sieve!!!

Yep. I prefer the simplicity of a top I have to manually remove. To me, that's one of the cool things about owning a Jeep.

I will say however, this will probably increase sales, as the JL adds a lot of "creature comforts" that will appeal to the masses much more than you or I.

Also there was no test of the standard hard top and if the water runs in like it did on the on the automatic roof a lot of people are not going to be happy especially for the money they will spend on buying one! Maybe after market devices to eliminate the dripping when a door is opened! Yes I am sure sales will be huge for a while as with all new vehicles.

Seems like even with the JK though that there are a large number of people with leaking tops, and Jeep issued recalls, but some still have issues after the recall.

It's like one person was saying (and I get this)... When you're dealing with a vehicle that costs around 45k brand new, you shouldn't be dealing with ANY leaks whatsoever, even if it is a Jeep.

Seems like even with the JK though that there are a large number of people with leaking tops, and Jeep issued recalls, but some still have issues after the recall.

It's like one person was saying (and I get this)... When you're dealing with a vehicle that costs around 45k brand new, you shouldn't be dealing with ANY leaks whatsoever, even if it is a Jeep.

Yes I saw a few on the lots when we were shopping. Fortunately when we got down to the final selections my friend at the Jeep agency nixed three used JK'S due to leaks (one had a warped top caused by the transport driver). I waited three extra weeks for mine and after almost a year and numerous trips no leaks so far. I do consider my self lucky to have someone looking into the issues for me. And I agree any vehicle today with the price tags they are getting, there should be no problems period! That is kind of why I posted the video so people can see the issues!

Yes I saw a few on the lots when we were shopping. Fortunately when we got down to the final selections my friend at the Jeep agency nixed three used JK'S due to leaks (one had a warped top caused by the transport driver). I waited three extra weeks for mine and after almost a year and numerous trips no leaks so far. I do consider my self lucky to have someone looking into the issues for me. And I agree any vehicle today with the price tags they are getting, there should be no problems period! That is kind of why I posted the video so people can see the issues!

Yep! But I would never be foolish enough to buy the first year of a production run of any vehicle. They are always working out kinks usually several years into the production run. That being said, I think you're better off waiting until they've been out for a few years at least. I'm curious to see what sort of problems these JLs will have.

But yeah, I think we both agree that when you're paying upwards of 40k for a vehicle brand new off the showroom floor, leaks of any kind are not acceptable.

Yep! But I would never be foolish enough to buy the first year of a production run of any vehicle. They are always working out kinks usually several years into the production run. That being said, I think you're better off waiting until they've been out for a few years at least. I'm curious to see what sort of problems these JLs will have.

But yeah, I think we both agree that when you're paying upwards of 40k for a vehicle brand new off the showroom floor, leaks of any kind are not acceptable.

Agreed!