2019 Dunginess Crab season has started

Hit Bodega Bay with the usual suspects and loaded up on some really nice Dungies, some were 3lbers, a lot of 2lbers with solid 1lbers filling out our limits. We are allowed 10 a day per person. Soaked Saturday for a few hours, pulled the pots collected the crab, rebaited and let them soak over night for Sundays limit. Opening weekend around here is crazy as hell, too many people and only a couple lanes to launch, hot heads and asshats trying to be the first out of the harbor, I don't get it. We ate crab for three days straight plus shared with the village. The commercials will mop them up pretty quick when they start in another week, we sport guys have to get them while we can. Fresh sweet tasting crab, fresh sour dough bread, some wine and cocktails, great friends all sitting around the campfire, love this time of year,,,gregg

boat loaded for crabing 2019.jpg

2019 crab 1.jpg

2019 crab 2.jpg

2019 crab 3.jpg

2019 crab 4.jpg

Looks like a great time! We've stayed at the Bodega Bay Inn more than a few times on our trips to NorCal. Beautiful area.

oh I miss fresh Dungeness crab. I can get it down in Florida at some of the restaurants but its not fresh and depending on the season I have seen it as high as 35 dollars for three clusters. That's just a snack LOL. But now and then I do order it up.

Looks great....and I am allergic to shellfish now! I miss grabbing fresh lobsters here in the NE and steaming them up for everyone....Oh well Steak is still nice.

As someone sitting right in the middle of the midwest, I am desperately jealous of all that delicious, fresh seafood.

Caught this guy with a snare trap from shore a few years ago at bodega bay

1573280472199.jpeg

It was delicious.

I’ve also caught a few surfperch near there.

I’ve only lived here a few years so still exploring all the ways to enjoy the NorCal coast.

Yep, fished the Cape, Trinidad, Creasent City, for Rock Fish, Tuna, haven't crabbed up there. I have a buddy who's son lives up there and he's a Commercial fisherman and works on a Crab boat during the crab season. I was just up there last month Tuna Fishing,,,gregg

Looks great!
Grew up in Puget Sound. When I was a wee lad I’d row the boat my father built out early mornings in Penn Cove to pull traps, then row over to the mussel farm to trade some Dungies for a bag of mussels. Then home to breakfast. I’d take Dungies over King, opies or tanner any day.