2019 JL Engine Options

jchadscud

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Been looking at the 2019 JL’s and have seen that most inventory stock is the turbo’ed 2L I4 vs the 3.6L V6.

Any opinions towards which is the better choice? I lean towards the 3.6L V6, just because I don’t know much about the 2L I4 or if it’s been around long enough to be proven.

I've seen the side-by-side dyno charts and the V6 has a much more usable power band and is no doubt the better engine.

I wouldn't buy one unless it wad the V6 period.

The turbo has some tenability to it, but the power band still isn't as usable as the V6. In addition, you can easily bolt a supercharger on the V6 if you really need more power.

about the 2L I4 or if it’s been around long enough to be proven
brand spanking new.... altho it might have an Italian background

it is rated about 15% to 20% better gas mileage but using premium gas means there will be no real $$$$ savings.... just a bit more range per tank.

If this is your urban commuter, the turbo might be a good choice. Lighter, it definitely should be responsive. Maybe cleaner burning. But I'd pick the V6 for proven reliability and simplicity. I'm pretty sure a turbo 2.0L will be under more stress than a non turbo 3.6L doing the same things.

Last edited:
hence the turbo only coming with the 8 speed automatic to better control its narrower powerband, without driver input.

Yes indeed.

Still, given the choice, I'd take the V6.

Not having to run premium fuel would be another bonus.

Reactions: Starrs
One guy I know here was looking at buying a 2019 and get went to the biggest dealership nearby. Apparently they *only* had the turbos. My friend later told me he called around all the dealerships in the area and he could not find a V6 in any of them.

I did some digging after hearing that and it seems to heavy push for the turbos is perhaps towards meeting the CAFE standards for the Wrangler sales.

The Pentastar V6 is a good engine and they're everywhere. It's normally aspirated too. If you're going to get rid of it after a few years, I might lean I4 if premium didn't cost more than diesel in my area (I think that's currently a bit of an exaggeration).

I typically don't like V6s, but for a gas engine adding a turbo, you kinda complicate things a bit for off-road use IMO. But really that stuff doesn't mean that much anymore since they're all designed to last for a similar amount of miles and then stuck in the junkyard. Typically you're going to have a bunch of flat tires, accessories, suspension, etc stuff that's going to fail long before the engine if you're half way easy on it and do the prescribed maintenance. I would figure 200k miles staying mostly on top of the vehicle would be typical for either engine and from there the V6 will likely be cheaper to replace, but there may be an easier option to rebuild the 4 cylinder.

That I4 may be even fancier though. It's not a hybrid or anything is it?

From what I’ve read not technically a hybrid, but the mechanics seem to be there for some electrical assist (positive power to the crankshaft) whatever that means.

The I4 definitely seems to be what Jeep is pushing based on the stock available.

The dealer got a 2 door Rubi with the I4 in yesterday. They have to do their prep on it, but hoping to test drive it this week.

Untill they fix the rust issues with the JL i would stay away. I have personally seen JL's with less than 600 miles already have rust on the welds. This in itself is a bad thing. But.... 600 miles in Phoenix and rust is showing i can only imagine what they look like in rust prone areas.

As far an the engine choice only time will tell what one is better and lasts longer.

From what I’ve read not technically a hybrid, but the mechanics seem to be there for some electrical assist (positive power to the crankshaft) whatever that means.

The I4 definitely seems to be what Jeep is pushing based on the stock available.

The dealer got a 2 door Rubi with the I4 in yesterday. They have to do their prep on it, but hoping to test drive it this week.
Report back on your findings. I have driven the 3.6 2 door JLR and it moves pretty quick. Much quicker than the outgoing model JK with the 3.6. Not sure how that is, but it is noticeable. I haven’t driven the 2.0 yet. Interested to hear your thoughts.

With the right deal I might bite if I'm in the position to buy a new Jeep for the I4. I get excited sometimes when it comes to engines. But at the moment if I'm going new I would buy a Chevy Colorado ZR2 with the Duramax. But I just think new Jeeps look more like toys and for the money a TJ/LJ makes so much more sense for something that's going to get beaten up.

Also I just think financially it makes so much sense to refurbish a TJ all from reputable shops:

$6k Jeep
$6k Under the hood/Engine Rebuild/tune
$2k Rebuilt transmission
$5k Beef up axles (lockers)
$1k Wheels and tires
$3k Steering/Suspension
$5k Misc
(all off the top of my head but I think it's close from the hip)

But I guess I don't like payments, outrageous taxes and insurance costs either. If you leased and had insurance and taxes you're talking probably $550 a month for 4 years and you wouldn't own the vehicle you're at the same money except in 4 years you've got a built Jeep and not another payment.

Reactions: AndyG
Untill they fix the rust issues with the JL i would stay away.

I haven't gotten any solid confirmation, but my understanding was that the weld issue was only with the 2018 JL's and that the 2019's were good to go. Anyone hear anything definitive?

Report back on your findings. I have driven the 3.6 2 door JLR and it moves pretty quick. Much quicker than the outgoing model JK with the 3.6. Not sure how that is, but it is noticeable. I haven’t driven the 2.0 yet. Interested to hear your thoughts.

Will do. I haven't been able to test drive the 3.6, but luckily the dealer is right on a major highway so I can get the 2.0 up to speed.

But I just think new Jeeps look more like toys and for the money a TJ/LJ makes so much more sense for something that's going to get beaten up.

I think the JL's look a lot closer to the look of a TJ than the JK's which is positive. I agree that if it was mainly for wheeling that a fixed up TJ would be the preferred route. I'll likely keep the TJ for wheeling (which I currently don't do much of other than beach sand on the Texas coast) and the JL would be the daily driver and any highway trips.

I actually really like my TJ on the highway torque and MPG wise mid to high 20s saves me from fuel stops, but I've got to get some of the other systems caught up :). I haven't driven a newer Jeep, but the JK's just look awkward to me and we always joke that JL is for Jeep Liberty.

If you get one post some pics. I think a lot of it is the 4 doors, which I know is very handy, but there's something off about it to me for what I consider a Jeep. Probably just nostalgia from watching old movies and being around the CJs and stuff so much.

Reactions: primetime4

Was able to test drive the 2.0 Rubicon today and then right after a sport with the 3.6. Not the perfect comparison, but they didn't have the Rubi in the 3.6. The 2.0 seemed to have more punch when you put your foot into it at stop or really any speed including highway speeds. The 3.6 still had power, but it was slower to respond to throttle input and also seemed slower to respond once you let off the throttle. The 2.0 was crisp and felt more responsive.

All newer vehicles are going with the I4 turbo..they are quick and responsive...don't think that will translate well into off roading. I am disappointed that I would need to buy a stick to get the v6

Was able to test drive the 2.0 Rubicon today and then right after a sport with the 3.6. Not the perfect comparison, but they didn't have the Rubi in the 3.6. The 2.0 seemed to have more punch when you put your foot into it at stop or really any speed including highway speeds. The 3.6 still had power, but it was slower to respond to throttle input and also seemed slower to respond once you let off the throttle. The 2.0 was crisp and felt more responsive.
Nice. I’ve heard good things about the 2.0. The fact that it feels quicker is a nice touch. Mpg should be a tad better with that engine also.