2020 Diesel Wrangler review

A $4000 add-on on a vehicle that already tops out at 60k fully loaded (or is it 62k?).

So basically a fully loaded JL Rubicon will now run you 64-66k.

:ROFLMAO:

• Wow
Reactions: Hog and qslim
A $4000 add-on on a vehicle that already tops out at 60k fully loaded (or is it 62k?).

So basically a fully loaded JL Rubicon will now run you 64-66k.

:ROFLMAO:

The article lists the "base price" at $39k, but in the article he comments that the Sahara he drove was $56k. Nuts.

The article lists the "base price" at $39k, but in the article he comments that the Sahara he drove was $56k. Nuts.

Yes, you can get the barebones model for pretty decent. But the majority of us would probably want a decently equipped Rubicon model.

These things have really become increasingly expensive it seems.

I wonder what they would consider a "base price" model. Likely something you'd have to special order. I could find an worn out TJ Unlimited, send it to a body shop to completely repair it and paint it, send the driveline to a 4x4 specialty shop to build up the axles and suspension, then have someone put it back together with a 2.8L diesel swap and in the end have a new 2dr diesel Jeep. I might even spend thousands less than the low end model JL diesel.

Crazy what people are paying for some new cars. I could go to an auto auction and buy classic cars I've always wanted for the price of some new trucks.

The 65k version would be a fully equipped model. Msrp on one I would build is $47,580 + 4k for the engine = 51,580.

Expensive yes. But, considering a LJR back in 2006 was 30k and with inflation would cost 38k today 51k doesn't seem so nuts for the advancements in tech, safety, and ride comfort. Compared to a TJ the JL is a luxury vehicle. Also, a jeep getting high 20s to low 30s on the highway would be insain.
Screenshot_20191112-151036_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191112-151057_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Starrs and Sancho
If I were in the market for a new Jeep, and I had the extra money to spend, I’d seriously consider looking at one. My biggest complaint is the lack of a manual. Possibly in the future (if the diesel sells well) they will make a two door and a manual.

Reactions: zebra12 and Alex01
If I were in the market for a new Jeep, and I had the extra money to spend, I’d seriously consider looking at one. My biggest complaint is the lack of a manual. Possibly in the future (if the diesel sells well) they will make a two door and a manual.
Any more the amount of gears they can jam into an auto and how well they can program them and how well they can do off-road. It's harder to justify going with a manual. However we have a trouble at work with the newer transmissions. We have stuff mess up and we're getting towed more now than we used to and we switched all of our trucks to 1 ton and larger and we used to use 1/2 tons like 1 tons and that was less than a decade ago when we were still driving trucks made in the mid-2000s.

Don't get me wrong I love a manual, but mainly for the simplicity. Of course you've gotta be more picky about your gearing as well. And I still do like newer Jeeps, but when I was a kid, we bounced around in CJs and a TJ still reminded me of the same feel, so that's why I still prefer our Jeeps. I feel like I can still work on a TJ pretty easily as well and I can customize it for my tasks better than a highly integrated modern vehicle with stuff I don't care about.

I didn't read that specific article, but I am fairly familiar with the emissions on new diesels and I would probably spend an extra $2k or so to get rid of that crap and get better MPG and really increase my reliability and life of the engine and risk less fires and reduce my CO2 emissions (if that's your thing).

I think I'd rather go buy a really nice LJR or JKU or Brute and give it to Axis to do an R2.8 swap or something rather drop $60k at a dealer, but that's just me.

Reactions: InOmaha
I didn't read that specific article, but I am fairly familiar with the emissions on new diesels and I would probably spend an extra $2k or so to get rid of that crap and get better MPG and really increase my reliability and life of the engine and risk less fires and reduce my CO2 emissions (if that's your thing).

How can you get rid of the emissions equipment *and* reduce your emissions at the same time? Am I misunderstanding what you said here?

Reactions: BugoutJeep
How can you get rid of the emissions equipment *and* reduce your emissions at the same time? Am I misunderstanding what you said here?
EPA emissions equipment, especially on diesels decreases some emissions and increases the amount of fuel required to complete your task which directly relates to CO2. If you're indoors the stuff is awesome but outside the emissions is about like using perfume or something.

New emissions equipment also reduces component life, which means more parts need to be produced over the life of the vehicle which isn't included in the analysis and engine life is reduced which means you gotta produce more stuff when you throw away your vehicle.

EPA is regulated more by politicians than science. Many of our emissions are set by groups that have major stakes in the electric vehicle market.

EPA emissions equipment, especially on diesels decreases some emissions and increases the amount of fuel required to complete your task which directly relates to CO2. If you're indoors the stuff is awesome but outside the emissions is about like using perfume or something.

New emissions equipment also reduces component life, which means more parts need to be produced over the life of the vehicle which isn't included in the analysis and engine life is reduced which means you gotta produce more stuff when you throw away your vehicle.

EPA is regulated more by politicians than science. Many of our emissions are set by groups that have major stakes in the electric vehicle market.

I have heard this argument before but I have not been able to find good sources to back it up on either side. Not saying you are wrong - just that I need to read and educate myself more to form a learned opinion on the topic.

A non gas recirculating diesel hybrid would be better.

But notice with the VW fiasco the cars got better performance and gas mileage with a tradeoff of different emissions. Do you want lower soot and NOx or lower CO2 per mile?

Exhaust gas recirculation is guaranteed to lower inlet O2 and decrease efficiency. So are exhaust treatments like catalytic converters and ammonia systems.

Well my Cummins has a reduced efficiency of 10% to meet EPA specs. The new emissions stuff is much worse, but I doubt the claims of like 30%.

The new stuff also uses urea which is supposed to be pretty bad itself.

I have yet to find a good study that looks at the stuff over the life of the vehicle especially with how long I keep stuff and I think that's pretty telling when you force an industry to accept something against its will.

I also really like electric stuff so don't get me wrong and I'm in the very very early stages of doing an electric 4x4 but with a small generator so I don't have to be tied as closely to the grid.

Reactions: InOmaha
We used to use a ton of it at a lab I worked at and we had to stay shaved and a mask near us and roughly once a year we had some problem with the stuff.

Don't google amonnia burns or you'll get the slides we get to see in site training.

Some of our systems use amonnia some urea.

Last edited:
I’m probably $22,000 into the Diesel conversion with the Dana 44 into the mix. Having bought a totaled TJ to steal the transmission out of it. I prefer the way the TJ drives over my wife’s JK. I like the tub of the TJ and being able to put gloves next to my seat vs the lack of a footwell of my wife’s Jeep.

we looked into trading her JK in for a JL. Just couldn’t do it. Keyless fobs, infotainment, video camera and sensors.

instead we will just get a wrap. She is tired of the drab gray/blue color. and doesn’t want to lose her red seats.

Stopped reading after reading that it only comes in 4 door... Well, that and the absurd price. Especially for something I want to offroad.