2022 Diesel JLU

mudmaster

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking at possibly getting one. Any reason to stay away?

IMG_4293 (002).jpg

IMG_4294 (002).jpg

I was really impressed when we were looking at JLU's. I don't know if it's the added weight or what but it rode very nice.

However... Maintaining a diesel with modern emissions would have me questioning. I would look into the Ram's with the ECODiesel, see what issues they are having.

If I had one and planned to get rid of at the end of warranty, I think it would be an awesome machine.

I was really impressed when we were looking at JLU's. I don't know if it's the added weight or what but it rode very nice.

However... Maintaining a diesel with modern emissions would have me questioning. I would look into the Ram's with the ECODiesel, see what issues they are having.

If I had one and planned to get rid of at the end of warranty, I think it would be an awesome machine.

Thanks! Real good suggestion looking up the Ram for issues.

I have driven the Ram ecodiesel since it came out and on my third. My 2014 did have some first year bugs, but overall no issue. The 2016 I put over 110K miles on it trouble free. The 2020 Gen III I'm at over 70K miles trouble free. The issue I think people had early on were trying to use it like a 3/4 ton diesel, and it's just not made for that, or just short commutes. I drive ~ 110 miles round trip a day, so it works for me and tows the Jeep just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy in the least. The only problem is that the ecodiesel is being discontinued after 2024 I believe.

Reactions: mudmaster
I have driven the Ram ecodiesel since it came out and on my third. My 2014 did have some first year bugs, but overall no issue. The 2016 I put over 110K miles on it trouble free. The 2020 Gen III I'm at over 70K miles trouble free. The issue I think people had early on were trying to use it like a 3/4 ton diesel, and it's just not made for that, or just short commutes. I drive ~ 110 miles round trip a day, so it works for me and tows the Jeep just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy in the least. The only problem is that the ecodiesel is being discontinued after 2024 I believe.

I think they have already discontinued as it can no longer be ordered.

What's the reason for wanting a diesel would be my question?

Is it fuel economy you're after? If that's the case get the 4XE. My neighbor has one who I go wheeling with all the time and not only is it incredibly quick off the line, but I would say it's the way to go if you're after fuel economy.

I don't see any advantage whatsoever to owning a diesel JLU. Fuel is generally more expensive, the new diesels are incredibly complicated, and when (not if) the emissions crap starts going bad you're going to be forking over some serious money to address that.

What's the reason for wanting a diesel would be my question?

Is it fuel economy you're after? If that's the case get the 4XE. My neighbor has one who I go wheeling with all the time and not only is it incredibly quick off the line, but I would say it's the way to go if you're after fuel economy.

I don't see any advantage whatsoever to owning a diesel JLU. Fuel is generally more expensive, the new diesels are incredibly complicated, and when (not if) the emissions crap starts going bad you're going to be forking over some serious money to address that.

Not looking for economy and I'm not a fan of any EV. I can deal with the emissions related crap, this won't be my first diesel.

Reactions: Davidtj
Not looking for economy and I'm not a fan of any EV. I can deal with the emissions related crap, this won't be my first diesel.

Sounds like you've made up your mind in that case. I know I wouldn't touch one of those new diesels. They don't offer any real advantage over their gasoline counterparts. They're just more sophisticated.

Pardon my French but .... Fuck Yeah.

I’ll try to make it next time you guys are down here in my area (Box Canyon) on a weekend. The only thing that’s kept me from making the further trips is kids and a busy schedule during the week.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
I’ll try to make it next time you guys are down here in my area (Box Canyon) on a weekend. The only thing that’s kept me from making the further trips is kids and a busy schedule during the week.

2 weeks ago, you missed the Gathering. 300 SxS in Box Canyon. Greg got video but did not do justice to what I saw in the lead dog spot. We joked about a pilgrimage to your house all unannounced and all.

2 weeks ago, you missed the Gathering. 300 SxS in Box Canyon. Greg got video but did not do justice to what I saw in the lead dog spot. We joked about a pilgrimage to your house all unannounced and all.

Oh no, I think @Chris was the MC for that shindig...custom jersey, neon whip antenna, discoteca tunes and all.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: RINC and Chris