chef_vader

Tell me why or why not it would it wouldn't be cool to rebuild a Buick 255 V6 and put it in my high milage clean chassied 4 banger TJ.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Have fun getting the wiring sorted out to make your gauges work. In Kalifornia we wouldn't even be allowed to attempt it, no engines made before the model year of the vehicle was made can be installed.

Reactions: chef_vader
Just pay a little extra and swap in a Chevy 350 it'll be better in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be cheaper and more efficient to put in a 4.0 I6 from another TJ.

I mean honestly, if you're going to go through the nightmare (especially the wiring) of swapping in another engine entirely, why not just put in a V8?

Have fun getting the wiring sorted out to make your gauges work. In Kalifornia we wouldn't even be allowed to attempt it, no engines made before the model year of the vehicle was made can be installed.

No emissions testing in MI and I have one of these motors available to rebuild. Maybe I'm just set on the cool factor of an odd-ball odd-fire motor, but I think it could be cool.

I think it would be cheaper and more efficient to put in a 4.0 I6 from another TJ.

I mean honestly, if you're going to go through the nightmare (especially the wiring) of swapping in another engine entirely, why not just put in a V8?
I have a 350 small block available to me, but have you ever heard one of these old motors? Practical or not, the odd-fire thing has a grip on me for some reason. Sounds like a Harley motor to me. Just rad.

I have a 350 small block available to me, but have you ever heard one of these old motors? Practical or not, the odd-fire thing has a grip on me for some reason. Sounds like a Harley motor to me. Just rad.

Wow, that does sound cool!

Apparently this is a semi-popular Jeep swap too, Novak has a bunch of info on it on their website:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/engines/about/buick/buick-90-v6

I learn something new everyday!

I say go for it. It would definitely be original and unique. But I do love that classic V8 sound too :D

I get the unique factor but if I were looking to do an engine swap into an off road rig I would look at reliable and modern. Meaning, fuel injection, distributor-less, modern electronics, etc. Tinkering around on the engine while on the trail is something that is no fun. But hey, try it and do a write up as you go.

If money were no object ........
SBC is cheap reliable power in a moderate size, with un-limited parts - speed equipment - and available knowledge ..... but,
Everyone has one. SBC's power everything ..... 1/2 the so-called 'hot-rods' ..... usually a vintage Ford that's been clipped and has every possible amenity known to the auto world, has a SBC for power ......

My imaginary TJ build would be a little different ....... large cubic inch inline 6 cylinder. This would be the 300 cu. in Ford 'industrial' block. This isn't the motor that powers the pick-ups. Stroker crank, multi carbs, and the 'eye pleasing' inline header .....
Personally, I've always been fond of the inline 6 cylinder configuration ......
Had big/small block V8's ....... ;):)

Reactions: Rob5589
Really go free range!
Deutz air cooled diesel engines!

Deutz Side.JPG

Deutz Front.JPG

That jeep is awesome!!!
Its so interesting to see the different things people do to their Jeeps. Im not close to there yet, I guess Im still in the Honeymoon phase when it comes to my Jeep lol.
I love it so much that I dont want to change a thing, aside from a tune up and cleaning it up to make sure it's running the best it can. We'll see in a few years when the honeymoon is over if Im talking about turning it into a monster jeep!!!

Reactions: 94c2500 and StG58
Good lord! You'd have to run a triple spring set up and still have sagging:meparto:
Lol, right!? They are actually much lighter than they look though. I think the 50 HP version weighs in at about 800 pounds or so. I'd have to look it up. But just think, no radiator or cooling system. You could listen to all that cooling and intake air whistling around as you drive down the road at a very slow speed. IIRC, some of the smaller ones even come with compression releases and a hand crank!

Really go free range!
Deutz air cooled diesel engines!

Well, as long as we're going completely off the rails, how about a nice Allison 250 turbine? 420 HP, light weight, fits in the engine bay, and has a - um - unique sound. Sure, the 25 gallon per hour fuel burn rate is a little excessive, and you might have to upgrade the drive shafts and a couple of other things, but running the exhaust stacks up through the hood would look awesome, right?

Allison_250_C20B_zpsha7jy4qx.jpg

Yeah, I know, I'm not helping....

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Well, as long as we're going completely off the rails, how about a nice Allison 250 turbine? 420 HP, light weight, fits in the engine bay, and has a - um - unique sound. Sure, the 25 gallon per hour fuel burn rate is a little excessive, and you might have to upgrade the drive shafts and a couple of other things, but running the exhaust stacks up through the hood would look awesome, right?

View attachment 13882

Yeah, I know, I'm not helping....
Sold!
We're mostly way beyond help around here anyway...

I wonder what kind of axles you'd have to run?

Lol, right!? They are actually much lighter than they look though. I think the 50 HP version weighs in at about 800 pounds or so. I'd have to look it up. But just think, no radiator or cooling system. You could listen to all that cooling and intake air whistling around as you drive down the road at a very slow speed. IIRC, some of the smaller ones even come with compression releases and a hand crank!
Ran a Deutz tractor for about a month when I was a kid ....... that tractor was an unforgivable waste of iron ore.
Madeline Kahn's later quip from 'Blazing Saddles' kind'a sums up my thoughts of the engineer that designed the Deutz ..... teutonic twit !:);)

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Ran a Deutz tractor for about a month when I was a kid ....... that tractor was an unforgivable waste of iron ore.
Madeline Kahn's later quip from 'Blazing Saddles' kind'a sums up my thoughts of the engineer that designed the Deutz ..... teutonic twit !:);)
...and just imagine! They're all made in China now.