265/75 tires on stock TJ Rubicon?

Seems a bit thirsty, but I haven't tracked it since the new shoes. Gas prices are down to $1.75 a gallon here so it's been less of a focus than when it was nearly triple that in Chicago a couple years ago.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well that's noy so good but kinda expected. They are pretty heavy tires. I wanted a C load but according to Tire Rack, E ply have 3 ply side and a C load comes in 2 ply sidewall. That was important to me and weighed in the decision. I did run some KO's way back and they were solid, these look like they'll be even better.

The original choice was the 265/70 because thats basically a 31x10.50, stock height but a little fatter. I planned on keeping one of my 245s for the spare. If I need to use the spare, will this be a problem with the 265/75's ? Of course only driving as little as possible on the mismatched sizes.

Last edited:
I am thinking Thornbirds 31x11R15 are my best option for a tire on my 99 TJ

thornbird.jpg

I've been looking at this forum for the past 2 weeks...almost went for the 245's, but at the last minute decided to try the 265's. I'm glad I did. Photos are before and after: BFG KO2's 265/75r16 on Quadratec Rubicon Xtreme 16" wheels. Thanks for the photos and discussion. (I might put a 1" lift on a little later)
IMG_5906.jpg
IMG_5905.JPG

I've been looking at this forum for the past 2 weeks...almost went for the 245's, but at the last minute decided to try the 265's. I'm glad I did. Photos are before and after: BFG KO2's 265/75r16 on Quadratec Rubicon Xtreme 16" wheels. Thanks for the photos and discussion. (I might put a 1" lift on a little later)View attachment 72645View attachment 72646
That size tire needs extended front bump stops and at least 2" of total lift.

I've been looking at this forum for the past 2 weeks...almost went for the 245's, but at the last minute decided to try the 265's. I'm glad I did. Photos are before and after: BFG KO2's 265/75r16 on Quadratec Rubicon Xtreme 16" wheels. Thanks for the photos and discussion. (I might put a 1" lift on a little later)View attachment 72645View attachment 72646
I'm considering going up from the stock 245's as well, have the 265/75/16's worked well for you so far? Will you have to end up getting a lift? Thanks.

Yes, I ended up lifting it 2" with a puck lift (I had a little rubbing going onto steep driveways). I had it on some logging roads in the mountains this weekend and no issues now.

Any problems mounting the 265/75/r16 Duratrac on the spare location on Moab rim on a Rubicon. Any adjustments need to be made?

Last edited:
Any problems mounting the 265/75/r16 Duratrac on the spare location on Moab rim on a Rubicon. Any adjustments need to be made?

I have the 265/75R16 DuraTracs on my stock Moabs and don't have any trouble with the spare on the stock carrier that I can tell. My tailgate hinges are stiff so it takes a hard shove to close but I don't notice any difference in effort from the 245/75R16 MTRs I had previously.

I also have a stock rear bumper and stock third brake light. The brake light probably flexes a bit but it's still visible over the top. If the tire hits the rear bumper, it's light and doesn't cause a problem I've noticed.

I too am interested in the answer to this question
I don't know the exact measurements of DT tires, but I had 265/75-16 tires on the TJR I had, and ran the 5th tire on the oem Moab wheel with the stock tire carrier/3rd brake light. I had to put a couple large washers on the bottom wheel stud to space the bottom of the wheel out a bit in order for the tailgate to close right.

Good to know, thanx bud. I'm thinking with that 11" width, it'll be too much mpg hit for me. I don't mind a little wider but that's about 1.5" over stock. My top choice is still the Fierce ATT, but also considering Cooper ST Maxx in the stock size, since they tend to run a little on big size. They look good and get great reports. If I go stock size, am I still allowed to come here? lol.

here is a pic of the jeep yesterday. Just got back from a new fender/paint at the body shop. I've been touching up rust and stuff on bumpers/doors and the rock rails. I'm going to put some Fluid Film on all of it soon.

These are stock tires, probably 3/32" of tread left. So I think even most 245s are going to give me a bigger look. ha ha.
View attachment 473

Sorry i'm french I know this subject is dated but I would need information please. In our country it is not simple with the wheels sizes... you say stock tires but mine which are also original but for France are 245 75 R15 and do not look as good... do you have an elevation kit and what is the exact size of these tires please? thank you in advance

Good to know, thanx bud. I'm thinking with that 11" width, it'll be too much mpg hit for me. I don't mind a little wider but that's about 1.5" over stock. My top choice is still the Fierce ATT, but also considering Cooper ST Maxx in the stock size, since they tend to run a little on big size. They look good and get great reports. If I go stock size, am I still allowed to come here? lol.

here is a pic of the jeep yesterday. Just got back from a new fender/paint at the body shop. I've been touching up rust and stuff on bumpers/doors and the rock rails. I'm going to put some Fluid Film on all of it soon.

These are stock tires, probably 3/32" of tread left. So I think even most 245s are going to give me a bigger look. ha ha.
View attachment 473

Sorry i'm french I know this subject is dated but I would need information please. In our country it is not simple with the wheels sizes... you say stock tires but mine which are also original but for France are 245 75 R15 and do not look as good... do you have an elevation kit and what is the exact size of these tires please? thank you in advance

245/75/15 is equivalent to a 29.5" tire.
The tires being discussed were 245/75/16, which is a 30.5" tire.

What about your tires does not look good?