3 Best 'Performance' Enhancing Mods

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Ok, moving past appearance. What are the three best things you can do to your TJ to improve its off-road ability?

do you need a different category for Rubi vs non?

Good point! Interesting list too since you can see what difference the Rubi really makes and how a non-Rubi might need to build to get to that capability and then where to go...

Ok, mine, in order

non-Rubi
1) Currie Anti-Rock or Discos
2) Bigger Tires (w SL or SL/BL, preferably the latter)
3) Lockers

Rubi
1) Currie Anti-Rock or Discos
2) Bigger Tires (w SL or SL/BL, preferably the latter)
3) Re-Gearing

These,
20150724_114527.jpg

Followed by this,
4.JPG

Which leads to this,
20151214_100610.jpg

Non-Rubi
1) Lockers
2) Gears
3) Tires / Wheels

Rubicon or not, you're still going to need gears at some point.

The cool thing about a Rubicon is that you can go a lot of places and do a lot of things with just a few mods. What, four mods set you up pretty well? 31" or 32" tires appropriate to your terrain. Proper gearing. A fairly minor brake upgrade. (Rotors and pads) A decent winch with recovery gear including a 12 v air pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and derekmac
hmmm, no one has mentioned lift from what I see. Lift equals ground clearance and articulation.

So, since I have a Rubi I would say these 3 things:

Lift
More aggressive 31's or 32's
Winch

Alright, almost everyone said tires and locker. Several said gears. I'm wondering, how does a change in gears give you more off-road capability? I'm not against re-gearing when you get bigger tires, I'm all for it, but isn't most of the benefit of re-gearing to restore your on-road capability?