30 spline Dana 30 options?

Woodrow

Supporting Member
After moving up to 35s, I need to re-gear. I have a super 35 in the back (30 spline w/ e-locker) and LP Dana 30 out front with 27 spline 4340 shafts and and e locker. After thinking about axle options a lot, I decided to goto a front HP30 and found a decent one last weekend which I pulled from a '98 XJ.
HP Dana 30.jpg

I could just put my current stuff with new gears in the new axle but I also want better shafts. So, I got a 30 spline Dana 30 e-locker and 5.13 reverse cut gears/rebuild kits for the front and rear. As an aside, after doing the rear end in my 1 ton Dodge this winter, these gears looks positively cute:)
5.13s & 30spl elocker.jpg

I want the Revolution USA made 30 spline 4340 shafts with the HD (1350) U-joints but they haven't been available for over a year with no ETA. Their manufacturer shut down and they haven't sourced a new one yet. The discovery series has the smaller U-joints. RCV shafts are another option but the lower torque value for the nut on the stub shaft (125 ft.lbs. vs 175 ft.lbs.) may be a weak point, they have higher maintenance requirements and can get noisy, I hear. So, what to do? Anyone have other thoughts/suggestions?

For now, the old shafts and unit bearings in the XJ axle seem to be in decent shape so they'll be good spares for my current set up.

No issues with the discovery series on my Dana 30.

One of the few parts I put in and forgot about. Ergo I didn't break it and it didn't break.

You can convert Eaton locker splines...they have kits.

-Mac

Reactions: Woodrow
I’ve got the old superior 30 spline stuff in my HP30 with the smaller joint. I’ve put them through hell and they’ve been fine. I wouldn’t hesitate to run the small joints if you can’t get the larger.

Reactions: Woodrow
I’ve got the old superior 30 spline stuff in my HP30 with the smaller joint. I’ve put them through hell and they’ve been fine. I wouldn’t hesitate to run the small joints if you can’t get the larger.

That's good info. I know you, in particular, wheel your rig hard. I'll look into superior. Similar to off-shore RGA?

I should note my inner shafts were USA made. Stubs are off shore shit from my hub kit

According to RGA, the splines are cut for the Discovery series and rolled for the USA made version. Smaller U-joints being the other diff.

Reactions: Irun