30 spline unit bearings for Dana 44 Rubicon front axle?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Just curious, has anyone ever made a 30-spline unit bearing for the Dana 44 Rubicon front axle (or Dana 30 for that matter)?

I know at one point you could convert to Warn manual locking hubs, which were 30 spline. However, if one didn't need manual locking hubs, a 30 spline unit bearing might be the next best thing.

There were a few aborted runs of 30 spline unit bearing hubs like from Milemarker IIRC but they had problems and are no longer sold. I know of no currently made 30 spline unit bearing hubs for either of the two possible TJ front axles.

Edit: I found some 30 spline unit bearing hubs from Alloy USA but I wouldn't run that brand.

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry, I figured that was the case. Wishful thinking I suppose!

I had edited my previous response while you were responding Chris. I did a little more research and Alloy USA has them like at http://www.alloyusa.com/alloy-usa-12168.html but as said above, I haven't heard them talked about much. I haven't heard anything good about the quality/reliability of any 30 spline unit bearing hub. I personally would not run those Alloy USA hubs.

Last edited:
I had edited my previous response while you were responding Chris. I did a little more research and Alloy USA has them like at http://www.alloyusa.com/alloy-usa-12168.html but as said above, I haven't heard them talked about much. I haven't heard anything good about the quality/reliability of any 30 spline unit bearing hub.

Wow, they're incredibly costly too!

That's too bad. I wouldn't want to run something of questionable quality, especially when I know that the Timken unit bearings hold up very well, and are priced very reasonably too.

Here's just the unit bearing itself:
http://www.alloyusa.com/alloy-usa-35400.html

I think part of me would feel apprehensive about running these things. If your unit bearing fails, the only person you can turn to is Alloy. If they stop making them, you're screwed, and if they're out of stock, it's not like you can get them from anywhere else.

Interesting information from @mrblaine written earlier about the outer stub shafts...

"The stock 27 spline stub shaft never ever breaks at the splines. The reason it does not break is due to the flange on the stub butting up into the back of the unit bearing as it has to in order to keep the bearing halves from separating. Once the flange on the stub butts up against the back of the hub, the splined section basically becomes a large bolt and it is placed in tension. Due to the size of the flange and the very high clamping force, the splines see very little if any load since all the friction created between the flange and it’s mating surface is high enough to keep the splines from being loaded.

There have been instances of aftermarket shafts breaking at the splines but that was due to the splines being cut too short which prevented the flange from butting up properly and clamping the bearing together." (end of Blaine's great information)

My thoughts are if you want to beef up the front 27 spline shafts and want stronger outer stub shafts, go with Revolution Gear's front axle shaft kit at https://revolutiongear.com/shop/dc-...eries-front-axle-kit-for-tj-xj-yj-wj-dana-30/. I'm running RGA's rear USA made Dana 44 shafts and they've been bulletproof.

Far less costly than Alloy USA's 30 spline outer stub & unit bearing kit and far better quality for the entire 4340 inner/outer shaft kit that allows the use of the OE unit hub bearings. I ran 4340 inner/outer 27 spline front shafts made by Warn (no longer made by Warn) in my previous TJ and never had any problems with 35" tires and locker on occasionally very difficult trails. :)

Reactions: Chris
That makes sense Jerry. I figured if there was enough reason for something like this, the market would dictate the product. Since Alloy is the only one who makes such a thing, it's obvious that there's simply not a need for it.

I also get what he's saying about the flange butt basically becoming a large bolt. That doesn't seem to be the common breaking point on most of the rigs I've seen that have broken something. Therefore it makes sense that 30 spline isn't really necessary.

Just now found this old thread, too late, but hope not.

I did buy the Alloy USA axle kit for TJ Rubicon. I first ordered the RGB, but it got backordered and I was impatient.

I'm not finding the stub axles do not extend completely out of the hubs, even tho they make a loud and solid sound on seating. The bearing halves did indeed start to separate.

Any suggestions, besides return them and start over?

BTW, their customer service is shiite. Never again.

That makes sense Jerry. I figured if there was enough reason for something like this, the market would dictate the product. Since Alloy is the only one who makes such a thing, it's obvious that there's simply not a need for it.

I wouldn't use the existence of a market for something to be proof that it's needed, either though. Just like drop pitman arms and crossover steering kits for TJ knuckles.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Just now found this old thread, too late, but hope not.

I did buy the Alloy USA axle kit for TJ Rubicon. I first ordered the RGB, but it got backordered and I was impatient.

I'm not finding the stub axles do not extend completely out of the hubs, even tho they make a loud and solid sound on seating. The bearing halves did indeed start to separate.

Any suggestions, besides return them and start over?

BTW, their customer service is shiite. Never again.
any chance you got resolution on this? i too have a 30 spline hub kit with their axle shafts and one of my bearing is separating. i hate to toss $$$$ in the recycle bucket

Yes, it got resolved. Alloy USA told me, via email, that they had some manufacturing QC issues and suggested I work through Qtec to replace with another brand.
Qtec was great about replacing them with what they had in stock, 10 Factory.

Yes, it got resolved. Alloy USA told me, via email, that they had some manufacturing QC issues and suggested I work through Qtec to replace with another brand.
Qtec was great about replacing them with what they had in stock, 10 Factory.
Alloy USA and 10 Factory probably get their stuff made at the same place.

Reactions: taylormade73
Well, the fact that this bearing is separating I'm inclined to just toss the whole setup. Obviously the axle shafts isn't seating correctly in the hub and allows the bearing to come apart. I bought this stuff while I was deployed, and when I got home installed it, and then the ship I got assigned to went out to sea for 5 months. Not likely able to return any of it. And boxes are long gone... lessons learned, should have read the forums more before spending money.

I don't know when the QC issue started. But there are plenty of respected forum members that are not fans of Alloy USA.
These kits are still listed for sale at many online retailers. Thats disconcerting.

I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of drivetrain parts are manufactured at the same facilities.