Recommended re-gear for 31" tires?

CLE1998

Hi everyone,

First time poster and long tim reader of the forum. I will be doing some upgrading to my Jeep tj and wanted to get some advice from you guys on what route I should go.

my current Jeep is a 1998 Sahara 4.0L manual 5 spd. It’s currently 3.07 gears. My current tires are 225/75/15 with no lift. I’m looking to upgrade to 31 inch tires with no lift, but was thinking that I should regear as even with the current tires I feel that the Jeep can be a little sluggish, especially uphill.

from posts I’ve read it looks like a lot of people recommend regearing to 4.10 for my Jeep.. do you guys think this is the right way to go? Will I see a noticeable difference when I regea?

thank you in advance to everyone

Do you plan on doing a lot of Off Roading ? Do you think you might go to a larger tire at a later time ?
4.10 gears for daily driving will work well.... I might suggest going to 4.56s if you answer YES to my above questions.

Reactions: HardSell
Do you plan on doing a lot of Off Roading ? Do you think you might go to a larger tire at a later time ?
4.10 gears for daily driving will work well.... I might suggest going to 4.56s if you answer YES to my above questions.

I think 31 will be the biggest tires I put on there because we won’t be doing a lift so I don’t think I can fit anything bigger without any issues. Overall it’s mostly driven on the road and we don’t plan to do anything offroad as of right now.. we use it for mostly cruising through parks and stuff like that

I think 31 will be the biggest tires I put on there because we won’t be doing a lift so I don’t think I can fit anything bigger without any issues. Overall it’s mostly driven on the road and we don’t plan to do anything offroad as of right now.. we use it for mostly cruising through parks and stuff like that
Don't "think," know for sure you'll never go larger. If staying on 31's, 4.10 sounds like a good gear for your usage.

awesome. Since we don’t plant to lift the Jeep the 31s are what we are gonna stick with. What do you think of the RS5000x gas shocks for mostly road driving?
They ride great ! Way better than the worn out stock shocks that was on my 04 rubicon.

Looks like I will definitely be going that route with the regear and shocks. Any other changes/upgrades you guys would do for a smoother ride that isn’t too costly?

I have 3.73's in my 2003 Sport with 31's. If I was going to the expense to re-gear from 3.07's such as yours, I'd choose the 4.10's. The 3.73's do ok, and I can pull most I-80 grades in 5th at 65 - 70. I live in the lower elevations of the Sierras at about 2500' elevation, so I'm always in the hills. The extra couple hundred rpm's sure wouldn't hurt, especially as you gain elevation you lose power.

Correct tire pressure can help with ride quality without spending any money. I previously had my pressure too high and when I lowered it the ride was a little less harsh on bumps. I have 31" goodyears on my Tj and I found around 28psi felt the best for me, but it's different for every application. May be something to test on your Jeep

Looks like I will definitely be going that route with the regear and shocks. Any other changes/upgrades you guys would do for a smoother ride that isn’t too costly?
Tire pressure is number 1 to check. Smooth riding shock like the 5000x will make a nice improvement. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to delve, replacing worn suspension parts is probably in order depending on miles.

4.0 - 6spd runnin 31's with 265-75-16 & 3:07's NO POWER issues at all. If your doing any highway driving at all 4:10's will scream at 60 mph or less with a 5spd & suck gas better and faster then any woman you know can suck !!! ;)

4.0 - 6spd runnin 31's with 265-75-16 & 3:07's NO POWER issues at all. If your doing any highway driving at all 4:10's will scream at 60 mph or less with a 5spd & suck gas better and faster then any woman you know can suck !!! ;)
Uh, no. You from Canada by chance?

Tire pressure is number 1 to check. Smooth riding shock like the 5000x will make a nice improvement. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to delve, replacing worn suspension parts is probably in order depending on miles.
Thanks. Will definitely make sure I check the tire pressure and see what works best. The Jeep has 89000 miles on it and I think they are original shocks and springs (I’m the 2nd owner and bought it less than a year ago). I was gonna replace the shocks for sure, but should I do springs as well? Does it matter which brand or are there specific ones I should combine with the 5000x shocks?

What will his RPM’s be at 60MPH with 31 inch tires and 4.10 gears?

Thanks. Will definitely make sure I check the tire pressure and see what works best. The Jeep has 89000 miles on it and I think they are original shocks and springs (I’m the 2nd owner and bought it less than a year ago). I was gonna replace the shocks for sure, but should I do springs as well? Does it matter which brand or are there specific ones I should combine with the 5000x shocks?
You could do springs if they are sagging. I ran Moogs with 5000x shocks and it rode very nice. The HR springs are reportedly a nice spring as well. On flat ground, measure the springs only, do not include the rubber isolator. 12" from, 8" rear, is factory. Anything less is sagging.

Reactions: Fouledplugs