31 inch tire recommendations for daughter's TJ

jobbfinder

Hi, I just bought my 21 year old daughter a 2004 TJ 6 cyl automatic. It has 31" tires that are about shot. I am wanting to find something that is not too expensive to put on it. She will be driving on pavement 95% of the time. Want something safe for snow that will look ok on the jeep without breaking the bank. Thanks for your input

I had Cooper AT3's on my last Jeep. Great road manners in all kinds of weather. I'm also hearing a lot of good stuff about the Falken Wildpeak AT, but I have no personal experience with them.

I currently run 31's in a Falken that the PO installed (not sure of the type but I think its an AT) and have gotten good use out of them. Thread life was ~40K. Ran them on FS roads and Colorado Passes without issue.

Goodyear Duratracs. Absolutely amazing tires in any weather. Rain, snow, mud... you name it. I can't stress it enough how good those tires are. I truly did put them through just about any wether you can imagine and they performed amazing.

I had Cooper AT3's on my last Jeep. Great road manners in all kinds of weather. I'm also hearing a lot of good stuff about the Falken Wildpeak AT, but I have no personal experience with them.
I am a big fan of Coopers and have run them on a few vehicles. Personally for a 95% on road rig I would choose the ATP over the AT3. A touch more aggressive, looks better (IMO), and they ride very nice. Either way, you cannot go wrong.

thanks for all the input, I am strongly considering going back to stock size for her, would you still recommend the same tires in a 235 75 r15?

jeep.png

My TJ Sport had 30x9.50x15's when I bought it. You might have better luck with more choices in that size, and load C.

Reactions: Rob5589
What Rob and Bob said..the 235 is a 28" tire and looks awful on the Jeep IMO. There really isn't much difference in price but I know that is spending your cash but 30 would be the smallest I would consider and 31" fits the well nicely. Again IMO. Also your selection gets larger too.

OK, You all have convinced me not to go back to stock size. Big O tires has Cooper RTX 31x10.5 on promo. Total out the door cost $560 50,000 mile warranty Any experience with these? How do they compare to Cooper at3? thanks again for your help

ok a buddy of mine just threw in a new wrinkle. He has some 255/70R18 take offs from his unlimited he would sell me cheap. If I got the adapters would those rims and tires work on my TJ? tire calculator says they are 32" tire. Would that be a dumb move? Do you guys all stick with the 15" rims? whats the downside? thanks

You want to keep a "C" load range tire for the TJ. Chances are those 18's are "E" load and would be way too stiff. Stick with a 15. More C load choices. Also, a 32" tire is too big for a stock TJ. You would have to add bumpstop extensions to keep them out of the fenders, and your uptravel will suffer.

These in a 31x1050x15 would look good.

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-at3-xlt.aspx

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
ok a buddy of mine just threw in a new wrinkle. He has some 255/70R18 take offs from his unlimited he would sell me cheap. If I got the adapters would those rims and tires work on my TJ? tire calculator says they are 32" tire. Would that be a dumb move? Do you guys all stick with the 15" rims? whats the downside? thanks
to piggyback off of Bob - not necessarily a dumb idea but being 32's it takes you down a rabbit hole you wanted to avoid. But you can stuff them under a stock rig. Being taller (and without a lift) you will most likely need to adjust the steering stops to prevent rubbing side to side as you turn but its difficult to say until they are on. If you need to though this means the turning radius will suffer.

[edit]: and yes that XLT is a great looking tire.

Last edited: