31" tires with 2-3" lifts?

I think the best setup for most of us is around a 2" suspension lift and a 1" body lift with 31" tires. Do that and I think you've got a solid setup that will go almost anywhere and won't break the bank. Like @StG58 said, if you want to properly fit 33" tires (and do it the right way), you're going to spend a considerable amount more time and money.

@bobthetj03, are those flex shots with the factory control arms?

Reactions: StG58
I think the best setup for most of us is around a 2" suspension lift and a 1" body lift with 31" tires. Do that and I think you've got a solid setup that will go almost anywhere and won't break the bank. Like @StG58 said, if you want to properly fit 33" tires (and do it the right way), you're going to spend a considerable amount more time and money.

@bobthetj03, are those flex shots with the factory control arms?

All factory CA's except for the front lowers. Those were Currie arms.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Me too and I have Moab 3 hours away. I’m headed there in April. I will report back. We are going with 31s
33s 35s and 37s. So our TJ will be the lone 31” rig. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. My son is driving the TJ. I will be in a rented JK Rubi with 37s. I’ll try and keep it open and somewhat fair game. [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more I read threads like this, the better I feel about wanting the 31" tires and 2" lift. It's so easy to get caught up in the bigger/higher approach. Then I read comments about wishing they had stopped at 31" with 2", and, well...like I said.

Come on @Squach, you know you want 33's! Check out my badass flex brah! Lol!
20150729_093741.jpg

Me too and I have Moab 3 hours away. I’m headed there in April. I will report back. We are going with 31s
33s 35s and 37s. So our TJ will be the lone 31” rig. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. My son is driving the TJ. I will be in a rented JK Rubi with 37s. I’ll try and keep it open and somewhat fair game. [emoji56]

That's actually a good point. There's more bang for the buck available in selectable lockers / Truetracs and appropriate gearing than there is in properly setting up for 33" tires with a TJ. Add in a good tummy tuck to go places and do things.

That's actually a good point. There's more bang for the buck available in selectable lockers / Truetracs and appropriate gearing than there is in properly setting up for 33" tires with a TJ. Add in a good tummy tuck to go places and do things.

I highly agree. I'd want selectable lockers and a tummy tuck way before I ever want a 4" lift and 33" tires.

You will indeed get way more bang for your buck going that route.

Lockers with 31s and a Dana 35 tho? [emoji848]So many options

Yup. Lockers in a Dana 35 with 31" tires are perfectly acceptable. It's advisable to upgrade to the alloy 30 spline shafts for reliability reasons. If you are in there and putting a locker and gears in, doing the axle shaft upgrade is not a big deal. If you put the Trutracs in instead of lockers you'll need to go with 27 spline alloy shafts, but you'll still be just fine. A Super 35 kit in a Dana 35 is overkill for 31's. But it is one less thing to worry about. As a matter of fact a stock Dana 35 will live a long time with 31's and absorb a lot of abuse. Sure, you can break it, but given enough time and effort you can break anything including a Dana 60 or a 14 Bolt.

Reactions: lindsey97
Yup. Lockers in a Dana 35 with 31" tires are perfectly acceptable. It's advisable to upgrade to the alloy 30 spline shafts for reliability reasons. If you are in there and putting a locker and gears in, doing the axle shaft upgrade is not a big deal. If you put the Trutracs in instead of lockers you'll need to go with 27 spline alloy shafts, but you'll still be just fine. A Super 35 kit in a Dana 35 is overkill for 31's. But it is one less thing to worry about. As a matter of fact a stock Dana 35 will live a long time with 31's and absorb a lot of abuse. Sure, you can break it, but given enough time and effort you can break anything including a Dana 60 or a 14 Bolt.

Thanks for the response. I’m a master of screen shotting useful info. If we go that route this info is definitely useful and I can’t rely on memory like I used to.

Thanks for the response. I’m a master of screen shotting useful info. If we go that route this info is definitely useful and I can’t rely on memory like I used to.

You're very welcome. There's a lot of mild and very capable builds here on the Wrangler TJ Forum to use as models. When you get to the serious planning stage post up your ideas and there will be a lot of helpful advice available.

My problem with my new build is that I want to get maybe 2.5" of lift total and run 31" tires on it.

However, if I go with the OME lift kit and then want to add a tummy tuck, I've got to add a 1" body lift, which is going to make the 31" tires look too small.

I could go with a 1" lift via H&R springs like @StG58 has done, then add the 1" body lift, but I worry that with 1" suspension lift instead of 2.5", I lose some articulation... Just not sure how much.

My problem with my new build is that I want to get maybe 2.5" of lift total and run 31" tires on it.

However, if I go with the OME lift kit and then want to add a tummy tuck, I've got to add a 1" body lift, which is going to make the 31" tires look too small.

I could go with a 1" lift via H&R springs like @StG58 has done, then add the 1" body lift, but I worry that with 1" suspension lift instead of 2.5", I lose some articulation... Just not sure how much.

You could ditch the OME spacers which will give you a 2" lift, then go with the Rokmen Offroad TT with the 0.5" BL. Dang Rubi's have a fat belly with that darn 241 TC.

Reactions: Starrs and StG58

Not to worry @Chris. I netted out 1-1/2" of lift with the H&R springs, and had to add zero additional bump stop. Most of the people who run the H&R's get about that much lift out of them. You get an additional 1-1/2" of stuff out of those springs and about the same droop as stock. You're actually gaining some overall suspension travel going that way. And it's "balanced" suspension travel vs. the unbalanced suspension travel you get with a lot of other lifts. The stuff approximately equals the droop in other words.

I'm going with a 1" body lift as well when I do my tummy tuck. The 31's won't look undersized and will have plenty of clearance.

My only suggestion is don't monkey around with stock wheels, get something with about 4 to 4-1/2" of backspace to them and do get adjustable front and rear track bars to center things up. The offset isn't much, but it is enough to side load the CA bushings and cause things to not be perfectly aligned.

Reactions: Phil Younger
You could ditch the OME spacers which will give you a 2" lift, then go with the Rokmen Offroad TT with the 0.5" BL. Dang Rubi's have a fat belly with that darn 241 TC.

Oooh, I didn't know about this one! Thanks!

It's not as flat as the Savvy unit, but it gets the job done. But have you ever even seen a .5" body lift? I haven't seen anything under 1".

EDIT: Nevermind, Rokmen makes a 1/2" body lift after all. Perfect, this is the route I'll be going with this TJ.

OME lift (minus spacers), Rokmen skids, and 1/2" body lift. That should look good on a smaller tire.

@Chris, you need to be our guinea pig for us and try the JSPEC 2" lift kit. Come on, we know you're curious!

Oh, I totally forgot about that. Maybe I should give it a try, huh?

I just don't want to use their JKS shocks with it. I'd rather use Ranchos. They only offer it with their JKS shocks or Fox shocks.