31" tires with 2-3" lifts?

Back to the regularly scheduled program...point being, even with the aftermarket bumpers, the OME LD springs were up to providing room for 32" tires. I did later add 3/4" spring spacers, though, for that much more lift.

IMG_9224.jpg
2.5" OME heavy duty springs front and rear. 1.25" JKS Body lift. The old man emu kit rides awesome. I am dealing with some front rake which is expected when you add a heavy winch and Bumper; a bit nose heavy if you will. So I have 3/4" spacers coming for the front and it should level my jeep out more...and me! Lol. I recommend the kit, but if you don't have heavy bumpers and a winch the heavy duty springs prolly arnt needed I'd go with the light duty.

View attachment 29302 2.5" OME heavy duty springs front and rear. 1.25" JKS Body lift. The old man emu kit rides awesome. I am dealing with some front rake which is expected when you add a heavy winch and Bumper; a bit nose heavy if you will. So I have 3/4" spacers coming for the front and it should level my jeep out more...and me! Lol. I recommend the kit, but if you don't have heavy bumpers and a winch the heavy duty springs prolly arnt needed I'd go with the light duty.

@Starrs, there's just something about your ride that does it for me! LOL Thanks for the input. I'm definitely doing an aftermarket bumper and winch, so I need to keep that in mind. Pretty much decided on the Dirtworx bumper (American made, and affordable...not a combo you see much, anymore). Love the Mopar bumper on yours, but just can't justify the cost. Of course, I know I'll want one as soon as the supply runs out! :rolleyes:

Reactions: glwood and Starrs
@Starrs, there's just something about your ride that does it for me! LOL Thanks for the input. I'm definitely doing an aftermarket bumper and winch, so I need to keep that in mind. Pretty much decided on the Dirtworx bumper (American made, and affordable...not a combo you see much, anymore). Love the Mopar bumper on yours, but just can't justify the cost. Of course, I know I'll want one as soon as the supply runs out! :rolleyes:
Just do whatever YOU want to do. There are so many damn opinions out there haha. Small lift and 31s will look great. KM3s will be out soon. OME 2.5" lift with some of those wheels would look nice ;)

Reactions: glwood
Just do whatever YOU want to do. There are so many damn opinions out there haha. Small lift and 31s will look great. KM3s will be out soon. OME 2.5" lift with some of those wheels would look nice ;)

Actually, I'm very much going to do what I want to do, especially when it comes to wheels. Nothing freaky, by any means (no spinners! LOL), but it'll be interesting to see how people respond to my idea of what looks good. ;)

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
@Squatch , if all you wanna do is run 31’s, get a 2.5 OME or the H&R with new shocks, then see what you need to do from there. Maybe you’ll need adjustable trackbar. If you get vibes do a MML. If you ever want to go to 33’s do a small BL and TCase Shifter and go for it.
@JMT I was looking at your build thread, and that photo of your TJ X when you first got it just jumps out at me. There's something about a stock, unmolested TJ that just looks so good...I pass a silver Sport on my way to work that's parked there every day, and it is totally stock and has been for as long as I have seen it parked there. Anyway, that flame red TJ sitting there, with just the BB, looks great, even with the oem steel spoke wheels...
jeep-jpg.jpg

This was my form TJ SE with a 2.5” RC lift and ~31” tires. I thought it looked fine until my friend who’s not even a Jeep/truck guy (is a car guy) told me it needed bigger tires. I’m fragile and don’t handle criticism well (POTUS?), so I immediately put on 33’s. I thought they looked better, but I don’t think 31’s looked goofy necessarily.
2Qf20lv67rJ2675sJCK9uV4_CEkao2lVMHS65siC90XVurCZbqJgjNoUtiq2ZSJBCDxg0F7zZfE6DLSbnSMybmPb0ysB-DfQ.jpg

And this is what it looked like on 33’s.
ZTbXaBVsTn5ECTkdifuuuYF7_8Eqk_RJrhnsRp6k1XQco_F5QWOlJO6mp9b4eqJhLqY9bjAbI0uGRF_FYKIGZ1gFcSiMDvAQ.jpg

@JMT I was looking at your build thread, and that photo of your TJ X when you first got it just jumps out at me. There's something about a stock, unmolested TJ that just looks so good...I pass a silver Sport on my way to work that's parked there every day, and it is totally stock and has been for as long as I have seen it parked there. Anyway, that flame red TJ sitting there, with just the BB, looks great, even with the oem steel spoke wheels...
View attachment 29315
Thanks! That was a good day. Good suggestio to @Squatch going the LD route. I mentioned to him privately he might also consider BDS 2” with Fox shocks. Would end up slightly cheaper than the OME and is also a happy medium.

Reactions: Squatch
Are you hunting for jeep drama sir? Lol!
Nah, always open to input though. I screw up on a regular basis, so...

Hey @Squatch?

Here's my build plan at this moment for your perusal. Keep in mind that this for an SE with a manual transmission, running tight, steep trails and the same sort of geography that you were talking about. The lockers are still up in the air. I keep waffling between Truetracs, a Detroit / Powertrax no-slip and just biting the bullet and going with the Eaton ELockers. The same with the control arms. Currie keeps whispering in my ear that I'll be disappointed and break something if I don't buy their stuff.

Block one
H&R springs (Done)
Bilstein 5100 shocks (Done)
KO2 31x10.50R15 tires (Done)

Block two
Full tune up (Done)
Centric front brakes (full kit, stock) (Done)
Centric rear brakes (full kit, stock) (Done)
YJ front brake hoses (Done)
ZJ Moog Front track bar (Done)
JKS quicker disconnects

Block three
UCF aluminum winch plate
Engo 9500s winch
Bestop sailcloth replace-a-top
(first of next year)

Block four
Revolution 5.13 gears & install kit
Revolution chromoloy Dana 30 & Dana 35 axle shaft kits
Detroit locker (rear)
Powertrax no-slip (front)

Block five
Core4x4 control arms, tier 2, rubber/JJ, +hardware, core4x4_tj_set8_T2

Block six
M.O.R.E. 1" body lift BLTJ97
Brown Dog 1" MML and engine mounts KU2569-1H
Novac transfer case shifter SK2XC
Tom Wood XB drive shaft
Advance Adapters SYE

Block seven
UCF rocker guards
UCF tailgate hinges
UCF deep cover skid plate system, aluminum, UHC
UCF high clearance aluminum gas tank skid

The funny thing is, it'll still pretty much look just like this:
TJ on Beach.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, @StG58! I'm actually going to print this out and filter through what wouldn't apply for me (Exogate, for example). @JMT also made a suggestion of BDS and Fox shocks as an option that I hadn't considered before. Would love to hear from folks running a BDS lift. I've got about a month before I start spending the bucks (self-imposed schedule), so I'll be researching the hell outta what you've supplied here, JMT's suggestion, and the OME option. One way or the other, this is gonna happen. Thanks again!

Reactions: Bigboye1 and StG58
Thanks, @StG58! I'm actually going to print this out and filter through what wouldn't apply for me (Exogate, for example). @JMT also made a suggestion of BDS and Fox shocks as an option that I hadn't considered before. Would love to hear from folks running a BDS lift. I've got about a month before I start spending the bucks (self-imposed schedule), so I'll be researching the hell outta what you've supplied here, JMT's suggestion, and the OME option. One way or the other, this is gonna happen. Thanks again!
I took the Exogate out, and changed the disconnects up while you were posting. This list is always in flux, until the parts are bought and installed. TJ mods are just an embarassment of riches...there's so many ways to end up in the exact same place that it will make you crazy.

I actually went a different direction with the tire carrier, and retained the stock one. Moved it over to the right about 4-1/2" or so and got enough room to fit a NATO gas can on the rear bumper. It's an on-going project.

Reactions: Squatch
Nah, always open to input though. I screw up on a regular basis, so...

Hey @Squatch?

Here's my build plan at this moment for your perusal. Keep in mind that this for an SE with a manual transmission, running tight, steep trails and the same sort of geography that you were talking about. The lockers are still up in the air. I keep waffling between Truetracs, a Detroit / Powertrax no-slip and just biting the bullet and going with the Eaton ELockers. The same with the control arms. Currie keeps whispering in my ear that I'll be disappointed and break something if I don't buy their stuff.

Block one
H&R springs (Done)
Bilstein 5100 shocks (Done)
KO2 31x10.50R15 tires (Done)

Block two
Full tune up (Done)
Centric front brakes (full kit, stock) (Done)
Centric rear brakes (full kit, stock) (Done)
YJ front brake hoses (Done)
ZJ Moog Front track bar (Done)
JKS quicker disconnects

Block three
UCF aluminum winch plate
Engo 9500s winch
Bestop sailcloth replace-a-top
(first of next year)

Block four
Revolution 5.13 gears & install kit
Revolution chromoloy Dana 30 & Dana 35 axle shaft kits
Detroit locker (rear)
Powertrax no-slip (front)

Block five
Core4x4 control arms, tier 2, rubber/JJ, +hardware, core4x4_tj_set8_T2

Block six
M.O.R.E. 1" body lift BLTJ97
Brown Dog 1" MML and engine mounts KU2569-1H
Novac transfer case shifter SK2XC
Tom Wood XB drive shaft
Advance Adapters SYE

Block seven
UCF rocker guards
UCF tailgate hinges
UCF deep cover skid plate system, aluminum, UHC
UCF high clearance aluminum gas tank skid

The funny thing is, it'll still pretty much look just like this:
View attachment 29356

Maybe somebody needs to put some of this stuff on their profile page, cough, cough!

Reactions: StG58
Maybe somebody needs to put some of this stuff on their profile page, cough, cough!
'Cause it's not a "cool" build, and I'm kinda' embarrassed at how long it's taking me to actually get all this stuff bought and installed? Us po'boys take awhile to get stuff done.

I'll take it under advisement though.

Edited to add: There ya' go @bobthetj03, are we happier now? One more thing to keep up with though.

Last edited:
'Cause it's not a "cool" build, and I'm kinda' embarrassed at how long it's taking me to actually get all this stuff bought and installed? Us po'boys take awhile to get stuff done.

I'll take it under advisement though.

Edited to add: There ya' go @bobthetj03, are we happier now? One more thing to keep up with though.

Dude! You think it's taken YOU a long time? I've had my jeep for 12 years, and am barely at @JMT, @Starrs, @ac_, @Chris, and now your level. Sad really. I'll take your pity.

Dude! You think it's taken YOU a long time? I've had my jeep for 12 years, and am barely at @JMT, @Starrs, @ac_, @Chris, and now your level. Sad really. I'll take your pity.
Poor pitiful @bobthetj03...

But seriously, we can still wheel the snot out of our TJ's in their current state. It's not all bad. I've been constantly surprised at how soon the law of diminishing returns kicks in with these things. Tires? We need them anyway, but it's a huge improvement getting the appropriate size and style of tire installed. Springs and shocks? They're a wear item anyway. Lots of bang for the buck there. Same deal with brakes. The list goes on. If we don't get wrapped up in looks and keeping up with the Jones's, we can spend a LOT more time and money actually wheeling our rigs, which is where the payback really is.

This hits so close to home for me. I mean no disrespect to the folks here who can launch these large scale attacks on their TJs, but I'm just not there. The bank account won't allow for it. My other responsibilities also help determine what I can do, and when. Yes, I could throw everything on the credit card, but I discovered something about doing that: The credit card companies expect to be paid back! The bastards! :mad: :D And as for it being "cool" or not, that's all subjective. If I wanted to throw fender skirts and whitewall tires on a lowered TJ, and I thought it was cool, then that's what I'd do (I think I just threw up a little bit...). I have great respect for quality workmanship. It trumps style (cool) in my eyes. :)