31" tires with 2-3" lifts?

Alex M.

Supporting Member
Let's see photos of anyones TJ with 31" tires and 2" to 3" lifts. I'm considering going this route as I don't want anything too extreme.

Just concerned it won't look "aggressive" enough.

Reactions: 06lj
Didn't do it for looks, but here's mine at 1-1/2" of lift on 31x10.50's.
20180113_124939.jpg

I do have to say that the combination works great for what I use it for. Off road in the tight places.

Do you guys feel limited at all by having only 31 inch tires?

My thing is that I don't really do rock crawling. I like to explorer, go offroad and do that sort of thing, but I'm not smashing my Jeeps into rocks or trying to traverse massive obstacles.

@bobthetj03, it looks like even on 31 inch tires and a 2.5 inch lift, you still have a good amount or articulation in your suspension, probably enough to do the sorts of things I like to do.

I'm just trying not to overbuild here. Do 33 inch tires look good? Yes, they sure do.

But do I actually need 33 inch tires? probably not.

My thing is that I don't really do rock crawling. I like to explorer, go offroad and do that sort of thing, but I'm not smashing my Jeeps into rocks or trying to traverse massive obstacles.

@bobthetj03, it looks like even on 31 inch tires and a 2.5 inch lift, you still have a good amount or articulation in your suspension, probably enough to do the sorts of things I like to do.

I'm just trying not to overbuild here. Do 33 inch tires look good? Yes, they sure do.

To be honest, I regret going to 33's. I had a blast wheeling my TJ on 31's for the first 5 years of ownership, and there were very few places I couldn't go. 31's and a nice tummy tuck will take you a long way. If I hadn't already re-geared for 33's, my next set of tires would be 31" KO2's or Duratracs.

95% of the time 31x10.50's work great for me. Once in awhile I'll wish that I had a bigger tire when I'm trying to get over something like a downed log or ruts or rocks. Usually I can pick a different line and do just fine though. It's not the additional inch of ground clearance that makes the difference, it's the flatter approach angle that the 33" tire has on an obstacle vs. the 31" tire. The extra width available with a 33" tire is nice sometimes in the soft stuff as well, but not absolutely required. You can always air down.

With my new TJ, I'm planing on putting 31" tires on it and a tummy tuck. As @bobthetj03 stated, that's really all you need unless you're a serious off-roader and like to do the extreme stuff. A TJ on 31" tires with a tummy tuck has plenty of ground clearance, articulation, and is very capable. The only advantage you'll have with 33" tires would be that you might be able to get over the obstacles in a lesser amount of time. With the 31" you'll have to be a bit more patient on the huge stuff, that's all.

To be honest, I regret going to 33's. I had a blast wheeling my TJ on 31's for the first 5 years of ownership, and there were very few places I couldn't go. 31's and a nice tummy tuck will take you a long way. If I hadn't already re-geared for 33's, my next set of tires would be 31" KO2's or Duratracs.

@bobthetj03 what trails did you run in Moab with 33s and limited slip? Did you feel you could have done just as well with 31s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@bobthetj03 what trails did you run in Moab with 33s and limited slip? Did you feel you could have done just as well with 31s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I went to Moab, I was open diff front, LSD rear on 33's. I didn't go on the really tough stuff like in Area BFE and the like, but I felt I could have taken the trails I did take on 31's with a little more thought on my lines. If I had a TT, it would have been no problema. Same goes for the Rubicon Trail. I did that one on 32's and got hung up twice on that damn shovel.