318,000 mile TJ engine blew up

Icecoldcooler

So my high mileage 4 cyl that I bought a little over a year ago gernaded on me I have pulled the motor out and waiting on the machine shop to give me a call so that I do not go over board are there may must replace things I should get or should I go with the while it is out and easy to get to replace everything approach it’s got a solid body and frame so I want to keep it going

• Sad
Reactions: D M
Here is my journey so far

745AEC44-5DFC-40C1-8A88-904CDEFA42C3.jpeg

967E309A-8471-45BA-A4F4-A28B97D9ED43.jpeg

CE716494-E08E-4A5B-A9E0-3201E9C2DF3A.jpeg

1CF589F1-0A59-4728-8618-03F07EF543C2.jpeg

14EC7516-97D4-4B58-934E-4D45F465AAEE.jpeg

Last edited:
So my high mileage 4 cyl that I bought a little over a year ago gernaded on me I have pulled the motor out and waiting on the machine shop to give me a call so that I do not go over board are there may must replace things I should get or should I go with the while it is out and easy to get to replace everything approach it’s got a solid body and frame so I want to keep it going
What happened if you dont mind me asking? When my 4.0 blew up, I replaced the clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel and seals. All OEM parts, figured I might as well do it while its out.

Reactions: FarFire70
Lesson from my 4.0 replacement when cam went -> Go with OEM/Mopar sensors!

My first restart attempt when the new engine went it failed because of a non-OEM crankshaft sensor. Original back in got it to turn over no problem.

Reactions: AndyG
I would say start with new clutch flywheel TO bearing how many miles on your tranny that could be next issue you have AX-5 they don't last long in good form radiator is in what condition and water pump what condition something Id change immediately regardless peace of mind

I can't believe that thin cross member on that metal building held while lifting the engine!
Buddy and I pulled a 4 cyl out of a Willy with a seatbelt attached to a pipe that we put over our shoulders. I'm less than surprised the structure held.... ;)

Reactions: Blondie70
It's not uncommon for people to go way off topic here. I've heard it takes almost as much to swap an inline 6 into it as any other engine. So if you do go bigger, I'd bypass the I6.

What's the verdict on the existing?