31's or 32's, can't decide

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
I feel that the 32's on my Rubicon just fill the wheel wells a little too much. Trying to decide whether to go back to 31" tires (want to change tires regardless) with the current suspension setup (OME), or add a 1" body lift and stick with the 32" tire size...here's a TJ with a 2" BB & 31's on the left, and the same TJ with the same BB + 1" body lift with 32's on the right:
upload_2017-3-25_11-38-37.png

As you can see from the photos, the space in the wheel wells in both cases are about equal...I feel like I would get a little more 'perceived' performance feel and maybe a bit better mpg with the smaller tires, but it may be negligible...opinions requested. Both look good, and 31" tires are perfectly adequate for my wheeling style. The tires would have to be 245/75-16 or 265/75-16 since I will be keeping my stock Moab wheels.
If anyone has any photos of a 2" lift on a Rubicon with stock size tires, throw them on here!

Other than the roof rack, I like the look of the 32"s, but that's just my opinion. I suppose gas mileage isn't figured into the equation at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only reason I would stick with the 32" setup is because I would want to add a 1" body lift. The only reason I would want to add a body lift is so that I could tuck the transfer case. It annoys me the transfer case hangs so low on our TJs. On JKs it's completely flush, which looks a lot better and doesn't shovel up all the mud.

That's just me personally. If it wasn't for the body lift though, I would keep the 31" tires.

Reactions: StG58
I am diggin the look as-is. But switching to 31's certainly won't look bad either. Probably better for your gearing too, unless you have changed it.

Reactions: StG58
I would go with 31,s. That's what the Rubicon is geared for. 32,s will slow you down more than they'll help off road.

I probably confused the issue by not pointing out that the TJ pictured is not mine. I just found a write-up online that showed that TJ owner's process of going from stock to BB w/31s, to BB, BL, & 32s, for comparison purposes.

I have also considered switching the current tires on my TJ with the Hankook Dynapro ATm tires on my Tacoma, which are also 265/75-16:
hankook-tires-dynapro-rf10-left-01.png

which would entail mounting/balancing 10 tires on 2 vehicles, but saves having to buy new tires. That would mean a body lift would be in the near future, probably with a MML.

Since you are talking 16" wheel, a 265/75 is a solid 31" tire so that would be cool. Considering a standard 31x10.50 is usually 30-30.5 or so.

Reactions: UpperMI
Having ran 31's, then 32's, and finally now 33's, if it wasn't for the fact that I recently re-geared for the 33's, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to 31's.

31's on 2.5" OME lift and factory Canyons...
100_0808.JPG

32's on same lift, but aftermarket wheels to get better back spacing...
20150413_193034.jpg

32's are possible without a body lift, but you'll need to add an additional 1" of bump stop and thus lose a little uptravel.

If you actually want 31's just as much as you want 32's, I'd go with 31's for pragmatic reasons.
Cheaper price tag, certainly better for daily driving, and overall a simpler setup.

If approach angle / ground clearance / big tires are your thing. Then get 32".

In the end though, go with your gut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
On my cj I ran 33". When I add tires on my TJ it maybe 33" with a lift kit.
33's are not, and never were, an option.

After seeing how @Rob80x's Jeep turned out in https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/build-the-rig-to-fit-the-trail.959/page-4#post-59801 (thanks for all the photos) I think I will stay with the 32s, it looks great. Pretty much like @bobthetj03's, which also looked good on 32s.

Besides, my Rubicon, currently running 32s, is driving and handling great right now...I may just add some 3/4" spring spacers for that much more room. I'll see where everything ends up after adding the Dirtworx bumpers.

Last edited:
33's are not, and never were, an option.

After seeing how @Rob80x's Jeep turned out in https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/build-the-rig-to-fit-the-trail.959/page-4#post-59801 (thanks for all the photos) I think I will stay with the 32s, it looks great. Pretty much like @bobthetj03's, which also looks good on 32s.

Besides, my Rubicon, currently running 32s, is driving and handling great right now...I may just add some 3/4" spring spacers for that much more room. I'll see where everything ends up after adding the Dirtworx bumpers.
I have some 1" spring spacers I think I am going to add to the front of mine. The rear sits about 1.5" higher than the front right now.

Reactions: derekmac