31s or 32s on mostly stock 2003?

Rrr70

Supporting Member
I’m getting H&R 1” springs and Ranchos installed hopefully next week, and have a dilemma about tires. 31s or 32s? Stock gearing.
What’s the consensus?

1.5 to 1.75 inch lift with 32" tires (265/75r16). 16x8 wheels 4.5" BS

IMG_20200610_193045.jpg

Edit - running 3.73 gears.

The 3.73 gears are fine with either 31" or 32" tires and the wheels will handle the width just fine. As far as the lift goes, there is only a 1/2" clearance difference between the two tires sizes, so the choice is really up to you. Note: there are a lot more tire choices at 31" and they are 1" narrower if that means anything to you.

32's might rub with just the 1" springs.

My unlimited came from the factory with 30" tires. I now have 31's on 15x8 aluminum wheels with the factory 3:73 gears, but with a 2-1/2" spring lift and I don't feel that it's a problem. However, I live in in the midlands of South Carolina which is mostly flat. I've made 6 trips to the outer banks of NC in it (all day drive one way) with mostly interstate driving and no problems holding 70-80 mph. A few minor hills, but still no problems.

Did some “flexin” today by my shop. I have 30x9.5.15 tires right now. Looking forward to see what it’s gonna be with new suspension components.
F48A6B58-3D20-497E-868D-6114A2969C78.jpeg

A21241F3-C343-463B-A85A-E47FB4E1D4D1.jpeg

No experience with 32s but I run 31/10.5/15s on 3.75" backspacing, 2.5" spring lift, 4.0 auto with 3.73 gears and it works great. No rubbing, plenty of clearance and with turning off the overdrive on the highway, have plenty of power.

I'll step up to a better tire next set like the BFG KO2, but 31s in this or a similar setup make for a great way to go.

20200530_113901.jpg

I prefer 32’s, with a 1” BL you could easily pull that off. I think they look great. 31’s start to look small after awhile

I prefer 32’s, with a 1” BL you could easily pull that off. I think they look great. 31’s start to look small after awhile
That's funny you said that. I did a BB and 31" MTs on my first TJ. My older, richer, brother had to "one up" me and got 33s. I got 35s a few months later and now anything less that that looks small to me. One day some guy in a Rubicon on 37s parked next to me. My 35s looked tiny then. Since getting my old 03' Rubicon back, 35s are all I'm financially capable of running. I don't need anything more anyway.

That's funny you said that. I did a BB and 31" MTs on my first TJ. My older, richer, brother had to "one up" me and got 33s. I got 35s a few months later and now anything less that that looks small to me. One day some guy in a Rubicon on 37s parked next to me. My 35s looked tiny then. Since getting my old 03' Rubicon back, 35s are all I'm financially capable of running. I don't need anything more anyway.
I know, it's a rabbit hole isn't it!? I've stopped at 33's, a full Tuck, lockers, re-gear. It's very capable and super fun to wheel. I'm very happy, but sometimes when I see a bigger Jeep I want to make the jump to 35's. At this point it's a short jump.
DC100897-97F3-4745-8E30-D838435390CC.jpeg

Reactions: Tldelaney
If your at all thinking about wheels, the 255/75r17 on the JK Rubi is a fantastic 32" tire. If you can find some take offs and put on a body lift or move up to a 2' lift that would be a nice setup. Do a search. There are a couple guys doing that.

As you can see, @Rrr70, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. At the end it is your Jeep and it should satisfy you (and your wallet). We all have different needs and tastes so we build our rigs to that. Some will go for pure function, (X size to clear Y obstacle), others will go for form (X size looks better than Y), while many will navigate somewhere in between. Just remember that it is your jeep and your wallet is feeding it... Probably the only rule (at least to my opinion) is to keep your Rig safe. No need to cheap out on safety elements...

I personally drive a Rubicon with stock axles, H&R springs with .75 leveling isolators and 31s. I might go to 32s since I`m planning on a two day route through the mountains that requires a higher clearance ( I also need a winch, but my wallet disagrees).

I believe in staying "As low as possible, and as high as needed"...

Last edited: