31's or 33's

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
A number of you (@Chris and @bobthetj03 among others), have said you wished you stayed with 31's because 33's are a pain. Can you elaborate please?

No, I just wish I had stayed at 2.5" of lift. I could fit 33" tires on that lift with a 1" body lift pretty easily. However, without the body lift, the 31" tires look perfect.

I only say that because once you go to 4" of suspension lift or more, it gets a lot more costly to do it right, and it's unnecessary for someone like me, who is only really using my TJ for exploring and overloading purposes. I'm not doing rock crawling or anything insane, so why do I need 4" of lift and 33" tires? I could easily get by on 2.5" of lift and 31" tires.

So my thing is that I failed to build my TJ for what it's intended purpose was. I ended up over building it by a lot... Now that's not so bad once it's all said and done. However, my wallet definitely took more of a hit than it needed too!

I guess I'm kinda hung here. The 1"MML is going on soon, just can't decide on the BL. The only reason I would do it is for higher TT, room for bigger tires and shifter, but it's making a big commitment since I'm at 2.5 OME now...and that would ultimately mean a re-gear

I guess I'm kinda hung here. The 1"MML is going on soon, just can't decide on the BL. The only reason I would do it is for higher TT, room for bigger tires and shifter, but it's making a big commitment since I'm at 2.5 OME now...and that would ultimately mean a re-gear
I run 33's on the OME lift with a 1" body lift and tummy tuck etc. and love it (It's even fine for trips etc).

That being said, it really depends on how you are planning on using it. It's amazing what a Jeep can do on 31's!

Once you start going into tucking the belly etc. the cost starts adding up pretty quickly. The only reason I did 33's and the tuck etc. on mine is because of some of the trips I take to places in the mountains etc. - otherwise, most of the stuff could be easily done on 31's.

@glwood and @Ryan Thomas . There are trails around here that could use 33's. You don't have to take them. My wife loves bigger tires. She says do it. She even said 43"s on one TJ were not too big. I know she doesn't understand all that would be involved to go 35" or bigger, so 33's would be it for me. But I was just wondering how you guys with 33's felt, bc some implied you didn't like them and some (@Nashorn101) are trying to go back down to 31's and I'm right at that decision point. Appreciate the feedback...

@glwood and @Ryan Thomas . There are trails around here that could use 33's. You don't have to take them. My wife loves bigger tires. She says do it. She even said 43"s on one TJ were not too big. I know she doesn't understand all that would be involved to go 35" or bigger, so 33's would be it for me. But I was just wondering how you guys with 33's felt, bc some implied you didn't like them and some (@Nashorn101) are trying to go back down to 31's and I'm right at that decision point. Appreciate the feedback...

If you need/want that extra ground clearance as well as more clearance from your differentials to the ground (which only bigger tires can provide), and really dig the big tire look, then go for it!!

I do really like my 33's - however, I'm a minimalist so I try to keep everything as simple as I can - that's why I'm going down to 31's, it's just simpler, in the long run it's cheaper, and with my 3.73 gears I'd rather drop down to 31's than re-gear.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you need/want that extra ground clearance as well as more clearance from your differentials to the ground (which only bigger tires can provide), and really dig the big tire look, then go for it!!

I do really like my 33's - however, I'm a minimalist so I try to keep everything as simple as I can - that's why I'm going down to 31's, it's just simpler, in the long run it's cheaper, and with my 3.73 gears I'd rather drop down to 31's than re-gear.

Hope this helps!

While we're here, how do you like your JKS quick disconnects?

I think that 33's are a great tire size for our Jeeps. I went from the stock Rubi 31's to 33's, and I'm very happy with that decision. Now, if I didn't have 4.10's and the 6spd, I probably wouldn't be as happy, at least not on the highway.
Apart from the 4.10's, I probably have the best setup for 33's apart from re-gearing. I've got the 3.73 6 speed. Ideally I need to go to 4.56 according to guru Jerry Bransford...

4.56 is the way to go with the manual trans. Gearing is a big part of the puzzle when going to larger tires that often gets overlooked. The one thing you have going for you is the low first of the 6spd to get you rolling and while off road in 4lo.

I like my 33's just fine! I have driven *long* road trips on them and gone wheeling in many different places with them.

Honestly, if the wife says she likes 33's and is ok with the money being spent to do it right (You will want to re-gear etc. for sure) - Do it! I mean, honestly, how many times do you hear "Yeah, but my wife would kill me if I put "part X" on my Jeep..." - do iiiiiit! ;)

I mean, honestly, how many times do you hear "Yeah, but my wife would kill me if I put "part X" on my Jeep..." - do iiiiiit! ;)

Right on!!! As I said, she likes BIG TIRES! I don't know why that is because she does say, "Man, it's hard to get up in here." to which I say, "I'll give you a boost!" :)

While we're here, how do you like your JKS quick disconnects?

I honestly have never disconnected them yet on the trail. But, just disconnecting them in the driveway, I like them! Install was simple, and it's nice that they come with these aluminum pins that act as stowage points for when you disconnect them.

I haven't looked a whole lot into the Currie anti rock setup (albeit I understand that it's superior to the JKS sway bar setup) because it's about $450 compared to $120 for the JKS sway bars. Which is why I got them - also because they keep the stock look.

I'd like to hear what someone who has an anti-rock has to say. But to me, if you don't want your Jeep to be a money pit, being frugal and getting the JKS's is the way to go.

Reactions: Rob5589
I've had both JKS disconnects and the Currie Antirock. The difference is night and day. The Currie Antirock completely blows the JKS disconnects (or any disconnect) out of the water... I don't even do extreme stuff like rock crawling (which would make the Antirock shine even more so). Even with the forest trails and off-camber stuff I do though, the two aren't even in the same league.

There's a reason an Antirock is expensive. Once you do some trails in one (especially off-camber trails), you'll completely understand.

I wasn't a believer until I experienced it for myself. Disconnects seem like a joke to me now.

@Nashorn101, 4LoParts has the AR for 375, free shipping, last I checked. Was considering disco's but would prefer to not have to mess with it going from in the woods to the highway and back.

Reactions: Kyle_W
I've had both JKS disconnects and the Currie Antirock. The difference is night and day. The Currie Antirock completely blows the JKS disconnects (or any disconnect) out of the water... I don't even do extreme stuff like rock crawling (which would make the Antirock shine even more so). Even with the forest trails and off-camber stuff I do though, the two aren't even in the same league.

There's a reason an Antirock is expensive. Once you do some trails in one (especially off-camber trails), you'll completely understand.

I wasn't a believer until I experienced it for myself. Disconnects seem like a joke to me now.
This, completely, X2!
I haven't even taken my new Antirock on anything that *really* would utilize it properly, but the stuff I have done with it installed has been *FAR better* than when I had disconnects! I can't believe the difference at all - it's an outstanding setup! Everything feels so much more planted.

I still think the disconnects are better than the stock swaybar setup - but the Antirock is just really next level goodness.

Do I regret going to 33's? Only sometimes. Mostly, I love the look, the added ground clearance they give me, and now that I have regeared proper, the added performance. It's just a tough pill to swallow setting up right for 33's. My wallet is still smouldering from the regear, and I'm not done yet with the sye and c.v . driveshaft yet to come. It just seemed simpler in the 31" days.