31's or 33's

JMT, gorgeous TJ! Sits just right. I wouldn't change a thing, unless you need to.

@Tim04Willys - personally, for me, I wanted 33's. It's almost a year now since my install and I don't regret it at all. Luv the way it looks and drives. I run a Zone 3" spring lift on 33's, Adams driveshaft and SYE. Can't say a single negative thing about my ride quality, the performance or looks. I truthfully wish I did it sooner. I hesitated two long years comparing lift heights, brands and researching / asking shops and TJ drivers on forums and at meet-ups if my gearing will work w my 5 speed or how their lift rides. All because I was concerned w the results. And I have 3.73 gearing. I don't see myself changing them unless I either decide to put in a locker up front or blow out a bearing or more than one seal.

If you're not sure about going to 33's but you really like the way they look, don't hesitate. If you've got the funds (consider you may need a SYE- and should down the line) just go ahead and get it on. I can't see why you wouldn't be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Trying to build it the right way. Fortunately I found this forum just a month and a half after I got my Jeep. I had all kinds of big ideas, but no idea what I was doing or what would work or what was involved. I really think I will add a 1.25" BL and go to 33's on my next tire exchange. May need the SLE and a Tom Wood Driveshaft at that time, so that will take some $$. I also have the 3.73 gears and a 6 speed which has good 1st gearing for getting 33's rolling. First things, first, adjustable trackbar next week to solve my axle shift issue (it's shifted 1 1/16" toward driver side). Then I'll wheel it for awhile and maybe look at bumpers. I like the dirtworx at the price point...

Look is a matter of preference. Here's mine at 2.5" with 31x10.5. I think it looks right.

View attachment 16741

View attachment 16742

There are some here who run a 2" quality spring, H&R. That may be an idea.

The OME HD is advertised at 2", but most everybody gets 2.5" lift out of them. When I installed mine I initially got 2 3/4 in F and 3 3/8 in R. But it settled down. If you have a big roof rack and bumpers and armor and all sorts of other heavy mods it might ride lower than 2.5".

@JMT, how far outside of the fender flare do your wheels/tires sit? Can you take a picture looking down the side (either side works) of your TJ from the front? I'm curious how far the wheels and tires stick out on 31s and 3.75" of back spacing with the Dick Cepek wheels. Thanks

Reactions: JMT
@UpperMI Ok, keep in mind my front axle is off center 1 1/16". Next week I hope that is fixed. Anyway, here goes!

Drivers Side Front

IMG_5887.JPG

Passenger Side Front
IMG_5890.JPG

Drivers Side Rear
IMG_5888.JPG

Bc of the axle shift up front, the rear is probably the truest representation. I thought about some Rubi flares which would give a little more coverage, but I'm not one who likes full coverage.

Reactions: UpperMI
@UpperMI Ok, keep in mind my front axle is off center 1 1/16". Next week I hope that is fixed. Anyway, here goes!

Drivers Side Front

View attachment 16771

Passenger Side Front
View attachment 16772

Drivers Side Rear
View attachment 16773

Bc of the axle shift up front, the rear is probably the truest representation. I thought about some Rubi flares which would give a little more coverage, but I'm not one who likes full coverage.

Thanks for taking those pictures for me. I appreciate it. It looks like you have 1.5-2" of tread outside of the flare before the sidewall roll starts. I think the Rubi flares would be perfect. That would leave you about an inch exposed.

Yeah, and I had a shot at some for $50 about a month ago, and I was going out of town and I couldn't get to the guy. When I got back they were gone! Arghhh

Reactions: Kyle_W
I went with Rubi flares and a 1050 wide tire. Coverage is good now and a lot less mud slinging up the side of the jeep. Also, keeps the CHP off my back.

Ha, so in case anyone cares... just got back from an overnighter in the jeep with a buddy doing a little future deer scouting and the first camping of the year.

1st- heading straight up the mountain 2,000 ft to about 7,000 ft at the highest point with a big ass dude and gear in the back, reminded me of the fact that I need a re-gear in some form for sure.

2nd- We scraped the shovel a minimum 1/2 dozen times, crossing dirt berms (nature made by snow melt runoff) and through mud. Buddy named it "the scooper" after we picked up a good size pine tree limb...

3rd- remember when they said don't wheel alone? we went way, waay up a forest road and about 50 yards of uphill clay soppy mud stuff with deep heavy equip. trenches going in all directions and snow melt runoff coming down the road like a stream. got stuck at the very top, no cell service. used the shovel (real shovel) and rocks to make sure we go out. kept going a couple miles through a snow patch only to find a wall of snow. turned around and had to do it all again.

4th- realized for what I like to do, the 2.5" lift and new tires and hmmmm maybe a winch would be a smart idea. but really, most new jeepers would be surprised at what a stock jeep can do. the whole time we kept saying.... "do we need 33's?, 35s? a 4 door jk?"
(twice we made an Austin Powers 10-point turn on a less than 1-way road)

I'll try to add some pics

Reactions: StG58
CHP cares?
I believe its illegal to have tires that stick out past the fenders due to uncovered tires "throwing" rocks. Similar to 18 wheelers must have mud flaps. I heard this from a friend of a friend who knows a guy...
[emoji12]

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas

I believe its illegal to have tires that stick out past the fenders due to uncovered tires "throwing" rocks. Similar to 18 wheelers must have mud flaps. I heard this from a friend of a friend who knows a guy...
[emoji12]

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas

Right I understand the idea :) In CA I've never heard of someone getting in trouble for that, and there's plenty of trucks/jeeps with wide tires. Thats the only reason I asked "CHP cares?"

P.S. I didn't think it was a legal issue in CA, am I wrong?

Right I understand the idea :) In CA I've never heard of someone getting in trouble for that, and there's plenty of trucks/jeeps with wide tires. Thats the only reason I asked "CHP cares?"

P.S. I didn't think it was a legal issue in CA, am I wrong?

In California you are required to have wheels covered, but most CHP don't mess with it. Should you get a ticket it will be a fix-it ticket that must then be signed off after you have corrected the issue.

Reactions: LeePTI
CA requires full tire coverage. Two good friends are CHP and they generally do not care until guys are running extreme offset wheels where the tire is hanging way out from under the wheelwell. Not all officers feell the same way, however, and will ticket you so beware.

Reactions: CodaMan
CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE - VEH
DIVISION 12. EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES [24000 - 28150]

( Division 12 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )
CHAPTER 5. Other Equipment [27000 - 28160]
( Chapter 5 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

ARTICLE 5. Fenders, Ornaments, and Television [27600 - 27607]
( Article 5 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Ha, never knew. 1/2 the jeeps and trucks around here have tires sticking out.
Doesn't take much to get beyond the flare. Anything 4.5" or less backspace hangs out. I run stock Canyons with 31's and am right at the edge of the flare. Just like window tint, lifts, lowered, etc., depends on the mood of the officer at the time. My one CHP bud has YT vids doing burnouts in his hot rods so don't worry about him :D :D

I really wish BFG still made the 33x9.50KOs. Here they are on my YJ with a 2" lift and stock steel rims.

I'm with you. Getting tall and skinny is getting harder and harder which is a real shame for those of us that daily drive more than off-road. I think there are only three manufacturers left making 255/85R16 (33x10) anymore and, unless someone can find one that I can't, 33x10.5R15 is the skinniest 15" I can find.

Reactions: Kyle_W and StG58
I loved those pizza cutters. I had them on my 67' Chevy stepside pickup. Due to them being so narrow they provided excellent traction.
How would a narrow tire give more traction with a smaller footprint? Do you mean on the road?

How would a narrow tire give more traction with a smaller footprint? Do you mean on the road?

I went from a flotation tire (mud tire) to these on my old truck. Where I used to hunt i'd have to cross some shallow mud banks and creeks. The mud tires pulled Me through just fine but control was a little more sketchy and they threw a lot more mud. The skinny tires cut right thru the mud and got down to the hard packed stuff underneath. Much better control and I could stay on my line during the crossings. So for the type of terrain that I drove in these worked great.

Reactions: matkal