31's or 33's

I went from a flotation tire (mud tire) to these on my old truck. Where I used to hunt i'd have to cross some shallow mud banks and creeks. The mud tires pulled Me through just fine but control was a little more sketchy and they threw a lot more mud. The skinny tires cut right thru the mud and got down to the hard packed stuff underneath. Much better control and I could stay on my line during the crossings. So for the type of terrain that I drove in these worked great.
Gotcha! Interesting

I'm with you. Getting tall and skinny is getting harder and harder which is a real shame for those of us that daily drive more than off-road. I think there are only three manufacturers left making 255/85R16 (33x10) anymore and, unless someone can find one that I can't, 33x10.5R15 is the skinniest 15" I can find.
x2
I run a set of Toyo M/T's in 255/85R16 on the Suburban, and other than the fact that the M/T's are a sucky poser tire, they work well. There's no way I'll ever get enough tire under the 'Bourbon to float that thing anyway. Tall and skinny has it's place and works pretty well in most conditions, right up until it doesn't. The family joke about the 'Bourbon is if it ever gets really stuck, we're just going to bury it in place and walk away 'cause we'll never get it out.

On the original question of 31's or 33's...go with the 31's.

Last edited:
@glwood and @Ryan Thomas . There are trails around here that could use 33's. You don't have to take them. My wife loves bigger tires. She says do it. She even said 43"s on one TJ were not too big. I know she doesn't understand all that would be involved to go 35" or bigger, so 33's would be it for me. But I was just wondering how you guys with 33's felt, bc some implied you didn't like them and some (@Nashorn101) are trying to go back down to 31's and I'm right at that decision point. Appreciate the feedback...
I just went from 31×10.5 To 33×12.5. I have a 2.5 inch lift and have plenty of clearance...but I'm not doing a lot of heavy duty rock climbing. The biggest thing and extra cost going to 33's is the need to regear. I have 3.07 gears and am putting in 4.56...because it needs it..around town no big deal..hop on the interstate or go over a bridge and you'll know it.

I just went from 31×10.5 To 33×12.5. I have a 2.5 inch lift and have plenty of clearance...but I'm not doing a lot of heavy duty rock climbing. The biggest thing and extra cost going to 33's is the need to regear. I have 3.07 gears and am putting in 4.56...because it needs it..around town no big deal..hop on the interstate or go over a bridge and you'll know it.
Ha! I just responded to your pics in the other thread. Looks fantastic, just perfect for a TJ in my humble opinion. I get lots of looks with 2.5" and 31's around town. 33's would be better. Plus, after awhile 31's look too small. I wonder if that will happen to 33's after I have them for awhile? I might also do a 1.25" BL to be set up for a TT later and to give a little more clearance for 33's...Thanks again, looks great!

Having been on 31's, then 32's, and now currently 33's with basically the same lift, I think 33's fill the wheel wells quite well. I don't I will go any bigger than 33's with my current setup. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: BendLarry and JMT
I found a happy place in the middle with 32X11.50's which many manufactures still make. With the 32's you shouldn't have gearing issues and they'll be happy with just a 2.5" spring lift.
X2 I’m on 32x11.5 and have been very happy with them. Lower lift for lower center of gravity

I just read this old thread because it got reposted. It was about 2 weeks ago Jmt and I where out at Katemcy rocks having a good laff about 33 inch tires. The terrain there was so ruff it was a 35 inch tire minimum. There was only around 2 trails that we could do on 33 inch tires. That place is buggy territory.

Reactions: JMT
I stepped down from 285/75R16 to 31x10.5-15 and the ride is better around town and back roads. I have a 2.5" lift . IMG_1263.JPG

I'm on 31's with a 2.5 lift, no BL. Been extremely capable so far. I've been debating if I need 33's or not. An extra inch of clearance for me most likely means an axel swap/lockers and a regear. I'm on trail a couple days a week so really on the fence. Seems like a lot of money for an inch of clearance
241302049_10225586378635681_8536734944469551846_n.jpg

I'm on 31's with a 2.5 lift, no BL. Been extremely capable so far. I've been debating if I need 33's or not. An extra inch of clearance for me most likely means an axel swap/lockers and a regear. I'm on trail a couple days a week so really on the fence. Seems like a lot of money for an inch of clearance
View attachment 275208
Why do 33s require an axle swap?

Not necessary but more torque on a dana 35 increases chances of breaking. If I'm going to regear and ad lockers might as well beef up to a dana 44 or 8.8
I don’t think you’d have much issue with a super 35 (people run bigger tires locked on D35s pretty well), but I would agree if you’re regearing you may as well get a locker in at the same time.

I wouldn’t say they’re all required to get to 33s, though beefed up shafts isn’t a bad idea. However you would likely want a body lift on top of the 2.5” SL.

Reactions: JMT
@inkedrose you are in CO, bent Currie club or bust. There's got to be somebody local that can show you where to spend money. I don't know if @rasband is a bad enough influence? Where are you in Colorado?
Looking at their website from the profile we are close enough to be dangerous. My build plan for a while was where they are looking to go (with a different base, unlimited, axles and lockers mostly). I’d be happy to meet up and chat. 33s are a great build for most of our local trails!

Reactions: pagrey
I don’t think you’d have much issue with a super 35 (people run bigger tires locked on D35s pretty well), but I would agree if you’re regearing you may as well get a locker in at the same time.

I wouldn’t say they’re all required to get to 33s, though beefed up shafts isn’t a bad idea. However you would likely want a body lift on top of the 2.5” SL.
Yeah. I'm hitting a weird point. Built it to where I think I wanted it and now I want more lol.

Looking at their website from the profile we are close enough to be dangerous. My build plan for a while was where they are looking to go (with a different base, unlimited, axles and lockers mostly). I’d be happy to meet up and chat. 33s are a great build for most of our local trails!
haha around the corner! Is Bent Currie Club you? I might take you up on a meet up some time soon. Buy you a coffee to pick your brain