32s vs 33s: Let’s see em!

Ok so could you explain to a noob what I would have to do to fit that?
Fix the backspacing? You need to buy new wheels or buy spacers. Spidertrax and others sell wheel spacers that are about 1.25" thick. They will bolt on to the hub, and then you bolt the wheel to the spacer. Some guys don't like them, others don't care. I'm running JK wheels, so I had to get a set to adapt the 5 on 5" JK bolt pattern to the TJ's 5 on 4.5" pattern.

Fix the backspacing? You need to buy new wheels or buy spacers. Spidertrax and others sell wheel spacers that are about 1.25" thick. They will bolt on to the hub, and then you bolt the wheel to the spacer. Some guys don't like them, others don't care. I'm running JK wheels, so I had to get a set to adapt the 5 on 5" JK bolt pattern to the TJ's 5 on 4.5" pattern.
Since it’s more of a beach cruiser/occasional puddle jumper, I’m not afraid of a spacer. So, if I used a spacer on a stock rim, I should be able to use the same tire without rubbing? I’m assuming any rub would come from control arm or something in the well, not from fender or flare. Is this right? 2 1/2 in lift should cover height

Reactions: Kathy
I think you're trying to run 32 x 11.5 x 15 tire? 11.5 inch tire on a 7" wide rim is pushing it, but it might work. Guys run 12.5" wide on 8" all the time. 2.5" of lift will be plenty for a 32.

Yes, the rub will be coming from the lower control arm.

Any idea what the backspacing is on stock Ravine rims on an 04? I think I’m gonna go with the same tire, but I really like the look of a stock rim

The Canyon wheels from my 2003 Sport had 5.25" backspacing. Not sure what the Ravine wheels are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Canyon wheels from my 2003 Sport had 5.25" backspacing. Not sure what the Ravine wheels are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i don't know lol canyon...ravine.......one of those things you don't want to fall into lol! its the rims i have in my profile pic. i think they're 8inch, now after talking to a "jeep friend" I'm leaning toward 33x12.5 pro comps.........i swear this is gonna make me insane lol.

Personally, if you aren't going to do gearing at the same time. Go 32's max, ours is a six speed and we never use 6th anymore (sometimes on the flat or downhill) going up another inch will make it worse. That said using the 6 speed as a 5 speed is more than ok in general use.

Where TJ's get really exxy, is when you want to run 33's or 35's with gearing changes and a lift over 2-2.5". Then you need, SYE on the transfer case, new rear tail shaft, plus adjustable top suspension arms. It's all stuff you only do once but it's stuff you really need to do at that level. Keep the build slightly smaller and you'll have a more usable vehicle.

20171228_170732[1].jpg
2.5'' lift 33'' x 12.5'' 4.56 gearing

IMG_1342.jpg
I have 32'' Bridgestones on 15x10 rims with a 3'' to 4'' lift i say 3-4'' because i have ACOS adjustable coil overs on the front currently set for 3'' lift and Airlift rear air bags in the rear coils which at 30psi give it 4'' lift if i drop it to full off road travel 5psi the rear drops about an inch, mainly use the full 30psi towing off road in sand to stop it bottoming out with the trailer. Also 32'' tires can run right down to 10psi or even lower on sand no problem without bead lock to get fat footprint.

Reactions: Kathy and Rocketeer
Howzit Rocketeer, to be honest i allways use Morris4x4 in the US they ship to SA and its generally cheaper and quicker than trying to get it locally as most places import on demand anyway.

Personally, if you aren't going to do gearing at the same time. Go 32's max, ours is a six speed and we never use 6th anymore (sometimes on the flat or downhill) going up another inch will make it worse. That said using the 6 speed as a 5 speed is more than ok in general use.

Where TJ's get really exxy, is when you want to run 33's or 35's with gearing changes and a lift over 2-2.5". Then you need, SYE on the transfer case, new rear tail shaft, plus adjustable top suspension arms. It's all stuff you only do once but it's stuff you really need to do at that level. Keep the build slightly smaller and you'll have a more usable vehicle.
I have come to agree that 33in is the "exxy-ist" look for a TJ. So, I have the 2.5 in lift installed,and I'm gonna do a small body lift...... with a 5-speed, I'm guessing I'm gonna lose a little steam, but it shouldn't be impossible to drive? am i wrong? Then i can work on doing a gear change when funds allow. What is all the other stuff you mentioned(SYE, tail shaft etc) and why do i need all that?

I went with 3.25" lift, 33" BF Goodrich KO2, really impressed with the tires and one of the few you can get in a "C" range in that size, started with 15" wheels so there would be more rubber to cushion what I feel is an overly rough ride in the TJ,

Many appearance upgrades since this photo as well.
8bb035294074288e2e1062b189699874.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TJ2
I went with 3.25" lift, 33" BF Goodrich KO2, really impressed with the tires and one of the few you can get in a "C" range in that size, started with 15" wheels so there would be more rubber to cushion what I feel is an overly rough ride in the TJ,

Many appearance upgrades since this photo as well. View attachment 28447

I ll add it is a little doggy work the 3.73 gears but very driveable, but I don't pass many other cars. Rather than a great swap I d rather have an engine swap to something with a bit more horse and torque.