32s vs 33s: Let’s see em!

E80826ED-2749-467B-9977-C5C3A36B460E.jpeg
40735FAE-2F58-42C5-B533-099B5558C227.jpeg
85FF27BB-975A-4038-963B-4AAC41CAA620.jpeg
31” and 33”...my summer and winter tires.

Reactions: JMT
I have come to agree that 33in is the "exxy-ist" look for a TJ. So, I have the 2.5 in lift installed,and I'm gonna do a small body lift...... with a 5-speed, I'm guessing I'm gonna lose a little steam, but it shouldn't be impossible to drive? am i wrong? Then i can work on doing a gear change when funds allow. What is all the other stuff you mentioned(SYE, tail shaft etc) and why do i need all that?
You don’t have to do the SYE, since you have a Rubi. You don’t need a new DC driveshaft either, unless you are doing a suspension lift of 3 or more inches. What happens when you lift in the 2-2.5” and up range is your driveline angles change causing vibrations. The best solution is to rotate your rear pinion to face your fixed yoke, using adjustable upper control Arms, and this may require a new driveshaft. The next best choice is a 1” motor mount lift. Easy DIY and probably will solve your problem if you’re around 2.5” of Lift. The worst solution is to do a transfer case drop. It should only be done as a temporary fix until you get a motor mount left or rotate your pinion, et al.

If you do a 1-1.25” Body Lift on top of a 2.5” Suspension Lift you can comfortably and perfectly run those “exxxy” 33’s!

@JMT I have a MML question for you if I may. Does the MML help any with the rear driveline vibes??
When I initially did my 2" OME, I netted about 2 3/4" before it settled in. I immediately had vibes from the change in driveline angles. I did a TCase Drop of about 5'8-3/4" with washers from a local hardware store. My hope was to get a MML to eliminate the TCase drop, since this was in my build plans along with a BL. It worked. I was able to remove my TCase drop and get that added clearance without vibes. The MML also raises your Oil Pan, giving you some increased clearance there. I can use all I can get. See below...
IMG_7213.JPG

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
When I initially did my 2" OME, I netted about 2 3/4" before it settled in. I immediately had vibes from the change in driveline angles. I did a TCase Drop of about 5'8-3/4" with washers from a local hardware store. My hope was to get a MML to eliminate the TCase drop, since this was in my build plans along with a BL. It worked. I was able to remove my TCase drop and get that added clearance without vibes. The MML also raises your Oil Pan, giving you some increased clearance there. I can use all I can get. See below...
View attachment 30806

Just the answer I was looking for! Much appreciated. I have a 5/8 TC drop at the moment and I hope to eliminate it with a MML.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the answer I was looking for! Much appreciated. I have a 5/8 TC drop at the moment and I hope to eliminate it with a MML.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went with Brown Dog , about $115, Tim's a great guy. I think M.O.R.E are just as good (~$169), or you can just do some 1" spacers for about $75 if your'e not wanting to beef up your motor mounts and save some coin. I think you'll have good results.

My install notes are step by step in my build thread.

Reactions: Jay P
View attachment 30806

Too close for my comfort, next up would be some kind of engine skid.

View attachment 28244 2.5'' lift 33'' x 12.5'' 4.56 gearing

@Shwane

I have a few questions about your set up.

-What was the actual lift height you got from the 2.5” lift?

-How much bump stop extension front and rear did you have to put on for the 33” tires?

-Do you still have decent articulation and any rubbing issues?

I ended up with 3” out of my OME HD springs and currently have 31” tires. I have excellent articulation and no rubbing issues now. I am debating between new 31’s or stepping up to 32’s or 33’s.

Thanks

I got the jeep with 33x12.5, stock springs, and a 3"body lift. I added 2.5" springs and Fox shocks. I have yet to extend the BS mainy because I think the springs will get to full bind before anything else hits, and I don't think I'll ever put that kind of pressure on them.

2.5" body lift with sagging stock springs:

2.5" Body lift + 2" RockCrawler springs:

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got the jeep with 33x12.5, stock springs, and a 3"body lift. I added 2.5" springs and Fox shocks. I have yet to extend the BS mainy because I think the springs will get to full bind before anything else hits, and I don't think I'll ever put that kind of pressure on them. View attachment 83345View attachment 83346View attachment 83347View attachment 83348View attachment 83349

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The big difference between yours and mine would be the 3” body lift. I just have the 3” of suspension lift. I hadn’t really planned on doing a body lift at this point.