$3200 for a re-gear?

They toss everything under the sun on labor. And probably adjusted parts markup so people don't freak so much about the labor.

They should break the bill down by materials, labor, and overheads. Anyone who's looked at it in detail knows the overhead is the killer. Charge you for the lift use, building bay, cleaning station, and a tool rental charge.

We charge ~$350/hr to the projects for our work. But that includes vacations, desks, computers, servers, electricity, printers, secretaries, heat, coffee, taxes, internet, building lease, healthcare, ......

It always sounds expensive until you add up the miscellaneous and realize they aren't keeping it.

Thanks everyone. I'm no stranger to shop costs and how much labor has to cover. As several have mentioned above, labor is what it is. Seems like the added axle rebuild kits which I am capable if doing myself on the chance I start having issues. $200/piece for a bearing is outrageous. I'll see what cost comes down to without the kits.

Watch the BFH Garage videos and ask @hosejockey61 a few questions to do it yourself. I'll do my next one after watching/working with him on mine.
I have watched his TJR video several times. It's very informative and I have the concept down I believe. There were a couple of steps towards the end with the inner pinion bearing that I didn't quite catch but I think I could get that far.

You've got the attention to detail necessary @Jamison C. If you have access to the special tools (dial indicator with mag stand, Press, and a dial torque wrench that measures in-lbs), Do it yourself.
I do have access to a press and I could pick up an indicator and torque wrench. Problem is I don't have a space to work. I live in a condo and my parents are moving so I'll no longer have access to their garage. So I'll probably set up in the living room like when I did my transmission swap. Or maybe my grandpa would lend me his garage. Nice thing is on the Rubicon is that the bearings go on first and then the shims, so once I use the press and the bearings are on they're on, just have to create a dummy inner pinion bearing.

I looked at that invoice and it is what it is. When I do a re-gear, my price reflects everything. This one breaks down everything but seems to double charge. For example, the $1500 for the re-gear is just labor and then he adds parts. That's close to my price for everything, including parts.

The other part of the invoice shows them rebuilding the rear axle shafts with new bearings.... Did you request that? That adds a lot of $$$ to your overall cost.
Yeah if you were about 500 miles closer I might consider that, but when I get to that point and you don't mind me picking your brain a tad I would greatly appreciate it.

I didn't request the axle rebuild. Gonna see if they'll take that off and see how it affects overall costs. My problem right now is space to work.

Note that many of the places with the "$1200 specials" are only swapping the ring and pinion sets. They are NOT swapping out carrier or pinion bearings, but are reusing the factory stuff. They became popular with JK guys since they could drive in their relatively low mileage JK, get some proper gearing and new seals, and be on there way in a few days. On a TJ or older rig, they're getting all new bearings, which does add to the expense some. I have known a handful of folk who have driven in their +90,000 mile JKUs in, only to be told that their $1200 regear is now $3500.

Now that said, $1545 seems high for the Revo kit, even with retail markup. I'm showing <$600 for a Revo 5.13 kit with TImken bearings (https://www.revolutiongear.com/prod...373_513_ratio_frontrear_wmaster_overhaul_kits).

Same with your rear "Mopar" rear bearings and seals - the Spicer seals and bearings are 1/3 of what the quote lists them for. I get retail markup, but that seems a bit excessive.

Oddly enough, time wise, the labor seems reasonable. I'm guessing their labor rate is ~$125/hr-150/hr. To do both axles while under the rig, plus pull and press axle bearings, it isn't hard to chew up 10 hours of work by someone who knows what they're doing (this is why I only regear for friends, like @machoheadgames and @Dale W).

Seriously though, @Jamison C doing gears isn't rocket surgery. It takes some special tools and patience, but I learned how to do gears by my dad's good friend who always did them while being halfway through a case of Bud Lights and never once had an issue in anything he ever did. Contrary to what many web wheelers suggest, he also loved used gears, especially in the 9" third-members he would use in his drag cars (he said they were stronger and have been through enough heat cycles to make the "track worthy" - his words). If I were still back in AZ, I'd help you out. Ever think about taking a trip to PA? :)
This is good info. I feel confident doing it, I just don't want it to turn into one of those projects that holds me up way longer than it should. I'll probably do one at a time and do the rear first so that it's at least driveable. Thanks for the encouragement!

• USA Proud
Reactions: pc1p and RINC
Yeah if you were about 500 miles closer I might consider that, but when I get to that point and you don't mind me picking your brain a tad I would greatly appreciate it.

I didn't request the axle rebuild. Gonna see if they'll take that off and see how it affects overall costs.

There is no need for them to add on the axle bearings, retainer, and seals. They come out of the axle and then go right back in when they're finished.

Thanks everyone. I'm no stranger to shop costs and how much labor has to cover. As several have mentioned above, labor is what it is. Seems like the added axle rebuild kits which I am capable if doing myself on the chance I start having issues. $200/piece for a bearing is outrageous. I'll see what cost comes down to without the kits.

I have watched his TJR video several times. It's very informative and I have the concept down I believe. There were a couple of steps towards the end with the inner pinion bearing that I didn't quite catch but I think I could get that far.

I do have access to a press and I could pick up an indicator and torque wrench. Problem is I don't have a space to work. I live in a condo and my parents are moving so I'll no longer have access to their garage. So I'll probably set up in the living room like when I did my transmission swap. Or maybe my grandpa would lend me his garage. Nice thing is on the Rubicon is that the bearings go on first and then the shims, so once I use the press and the bearings are on they're on, just have to create a dummy inner pinion bearing.

I didn't request the axle rebuild. Gonna see if they'll take that off and see how it affects overall costs. My problem right now is space to work.

This is good info. I feel confident doing it, I just don't want it to turn into one of those projects that holds me up way longer than it should. I'll probably do one at a time and do the rear first so that it's at least driveable. Thanks for the encouragement!

200.gif

I would enjoy seeing a regear done in person. If you need a no experience helping hand, I could drive up.

• Haha
Reactions: PRNDL and pc1p
They toss everything under the sun on labor. And probably adjusted parts markup so people don't freak so much about the labor.

They should break the bill down by materials, labor, and overheads. Anyone who's looked at it in detail knows the overhead is the killer. Charge you for the lift use, building bay, cleaning station, and a tool rental charge.

We charge ~$350/hr to the projects for our work. But that includes vacations, desks, computers, servers, electricity, printers, secretaries, heat, coffee, taxes, internet, building lease, healthcare, ......

It always sounds expensive until you add up the miscellaneous and realize they aren't keeping it.

When I was consulting ~10 years ago, my hourly charge rate was $150/hr. My overhead was a computer and internet connection...

I'm surprised that shops "only" charge $150/hr still.

Yes and no. It’s kind of a pain to get those shims in. Plus, most of the Dana 44 rebuild kits don’t include the larger shims that go between the carrier bearings and the housing. They include the ones between the bearings and carrier. I had to make my own (NOT recommended) and the ones you can find to buy are really expensive for what they are.

When I was consulting ~10 years ago, my hourly charge rate was $150/hr. My overhead was a computer and internet connection...

I'm surprised that shops "only" charge $150/hr still.

Have you been to some of these dealerships lately? I see some charging up to $260.00 per hour, depending on demographics and manufacturer.

Labor time guide for R&P replacement on a Dana 30 or Dana 44 is 5.5 hours. This does not include changing carrier bearings. Other things some don't take into account, the tools and equipment required to do the job correctly.

• Wow
Reactions: pc1p and diggerwolf
If this happens, I volunteer as Project Observer in charge of beer distribution.

I’m already geared but I’d enjoy watching this as well and giving some of my inexperienced expert input. Plus we take an inevitable trip to our lord and savior, Dallas offroad when we screw something up

Wow, Seeing the labor costs here makes me feel fortunate. The local Differential shop charges per axle $350 carry axle in or $400 in the Jeep flat cost.
I supplied all the parts.

Reactions: L J
dedicated 4 X 4 shops seem hard to come by. places around my area only do lifts and other accessories.

Here on Long Island there are half a dozen shops dedicated to 4x4’s and half of those are Jeep only. Not many perks to living here, unless you are a 4x4 owner I guess…. Having said that, we have nowhere to get off-road. Interesting dynamic…

FWIW. I just scheduled for a re-gear & TrueTrac install early October.. $2600

Reactions: txbemis69