32RH automatic transmission issues

lemoore3

I have 1998 jeep wrangler with an automatic transmission. When in park it sounds as if it is grinding. Also makes a similar noise in neutral. But when in gear as far as drive or reverse it doesn't make any noises and seems to operate as should. I put it in neutral and wound it out and it really sounded terrible then. It sounds as though the transmission is trying to engage when in park or neutral. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem? It has adequate fluid in the transmission.

Welcome to the forum!

Does it engage the parking pawl when in Park? To test, stop on an incline that is good enough to make the Jeep move easily when the brake is released but not a down-hill racetrack. Place it in park, then slowly release the brake...it should only move a short bit before the parking pawl engages and stops the Jeep from moving.

A short video of the noise would probably be very helpful.

Another thing to check...is the noise actually coming from the tranny? Pop the hood and listen around the engine and then poke your noggin under the Jeep to see if the noise is much louder around the tranny (don't run yourself over; it's embarrassing). Using a 2 or 3 foot chunk of hose to act as a directional "stethoscope" can also help localize noises.

I’ve also noticed this noise, mainly in neutral. havent been able to find any threads for the 32rh atleast that cover the cause of the noise. It seems to be more from driver side and my fluid level is fine.