32RH automatic transmission reverse to drive issue

thjeepster

Hello all,

I'm new here and have an issue with my 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

If I back out of my garage and once I get to the street when I go to put it in drive most of the time it starts to buck a little and it feels like it's going to stall but doesn't.
This morning (after not using my Jeep since Friday afternoon at 4pm), I reversed out of my garage and got to the street and was going to put in drive and it stalled. Luckily I could start again, but it was kinda hard to start.

I noticed two things:

If I reverse in my garage and drive out (forward only) it usually works fine.
If I drive my Jeep multiple times a day it seems fine...problem happens more if it sits for longer than 24 hours.

Please anybody know what could be causing this?
I don't want to spend big bucks fixing this.

thanks again!

Hello! thanks for the reply!

I haven't gotten it check by anyone yet...can't afford spending too much money.
But there are no "check engine" lights going on during any of this.

Today it didn't buck or stall after backing up, but it seemed after stopping at stop signs it took some time to gain speed.

The hydraulic brain of the transmission, if you pull the pan, it is what the filter bolts to. It is a metal chunk with series of passages, check valves, solenoid valves, sliding valves and pistons that make it shift, change gears and the transmission function.
here is a video of the 904, which is the parent to the 32rh

The description is almost like the converter is locking up when going into reverse or when it sits overnight, that could be a solenoid not working right, or the valve body is not shifting the hydraulics. You need to find a place you can park that you can do some real troubleshooting. Park on the street in a place you can go backwards and forwards, leave it overnight, then recreate the problem. You should be able to press the brakes with it in any gear selection and hit the accelerator and not kill the engine. The engine should run and not move up untill the transmission makes the stall RPM's with the brakes being held. If it dies, then there maybe something else wrong or something causing the torque converter to lock up, killing the engine. It may not be the transmission, but from your description it could be. Without being there to troubleshoot, it is hard to assess this problem.

Transmission problems are not cheap to repair, go to a local transmission shop and get an estimate. Do not do a full transmission rebuild if they suggest that, go to a different shop and ge a second an maybe a third opinion before doing anything.

Last edited: