32RH problems

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Well my 32 RH TRANS is slipping from first to second.
Guess I’ll change out the ATF +4 and see what happens from there.
I have plenty of ATF+4 in the trans. As a matter of fact it’s a little over full.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Yes sir. It’s slipping in first. If I accelerate slowly it changes pretty normal. But if I accelerate quickly it just revs up in first till the RPMs lower then goes into 2nd and 3rd.

First to second is probably the shift with the highest actuation count (does neutral to first count?). That clutch pack likely has the most wear.

Not that rebuilding or replacing a trans is a good thing, but your slipping is probably a better sign than sudden failure.

Not a trans guy either, just thinking out loud.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I think maybe running the 32RH at 2500 + RPMs due to me having 4.88 gears may have played a part in the Distraction of the transmission. ?

There’s a product made my sea foam called transtune , would it hurt to try that ?
I wouldn't. The detergents in the trans fluid are more than adaquate to keep your trans clean.
I have seen to many problems with mechanic in a can.
You could drop the pan and see if there is any debris in it.
Change the fluid and filter.

I'm not sure how many miles are on your Jeep, but you may just have worn clutches.

I wouldn't. The detergents in the trans fluid are more than adaquate to keep your trans clean.
I have seen to many problems with mechanic in a can.
You could drop the pan and see if there is any debris in it.
Change the fluid and filter.

I'm not sure how many miles are on your Jeep, but you may just have worn clutches.
I just swapped from a manual to an automatic , so no telling how many miles on the trans last summer. It’s been running fine but just started what I would call slipping from first gear to second gear. But today it would hardly get out of first into second unless the speed. Increased.

Is your kickdown cable calibrated right? Does it run smoothly? Is the spring there on the trans side?

My cable got enough gunk and debris in it that it would shift hard or delay shifting fr 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

I just swapped from a manual to an automatic , so no telling how many miles on the trans last summer. It’s been running fine but just started what I would call slipping from first gear to second gear. But today it would hardly get out of first into second unless the speed. Increased.
Does it shift better if you try and do a manual 1-2 shift as opposed to putting it in "D" and driving? It could be number of things
What condition is the fluid, does it smell burnt?
I could give a number of possiblities, but you may be better off bringing it to a local trans shop and let them check line pressures.
It's not a hard trans to rebuild if you are mechanically inclined. There may be some specialty tools required though.

Is your kickdown cable calibrated right? Does it run smoothly? Is the spring there on the trans side?

My cable got enough gunk and debris in it that it would shift hard or delay shifting fr 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.
I’ll check it out but the spring is there. It has been running pretty smooth.
It’s not really a delay I don’t think. It’s just not going into second.