32RH problems

Manual shifting doesn’t do much of anything until I get past first gear.
While in 3rd I can tap the brake and the torque converter will unlock and lick back up.
If I shift down to 2nd , it shifts fine. And then I can shift back up to 3rd.
But something going on with it shifting out of first. It just stays there till the roll speed gets up and then it will shift.
Maybe the shift Linkage is messed up.
It’s pretty Frustrating.

well you can adjust the bands...that will reduce slipping, also if any of the hydraulic servo piston or accumulators rings are leaking then that can cause it to be sluggish.

My sons 32RH is having to be rebuilt. It was not a quality transmission to began with and that is why Jeep replaced it after a few years.

My sons 32RH is having to be rebuilt. It was not a quality transmission to began with and that is why Jeep replaced it after a few years.
Actually the 32RH has a SUPERB reputation, Jeep only went to the 4-speed in hopes of better fuel economy from its lower cruising rpms.

Ford even tried to buy the rights to manufacture the 32RH for their vehicles but Chrysler wanted too much $$$ so it never happened. The 32RH is widely known as one of the very best automatic transmissions to have ever come out of Detroit.

Actually the 32RH has a SUPERB reputation, Jeep only went to the 4-speed in hopes of better fuel economy from its lower cruising rpms.

Ford even tried to buy the rights to manufacture the 32RH for their vehicles but Chrysler wanted too much $$$ so it never happened. The 32RH is widely known as one of the very best automatic transmissions to have ever come out of Detroit.
True, my goal when searching for a TJ was one with a 32rh. I would have went with the 4sp but it would have had to have had other pros that tipped the scales.

Yeah, only used from 1960 to 2001... everyone wanted overdrive, so death to the 904 (32RH)!
Yea! OD was a fad like soft shackles. :unsure:

Seriosly, it seems like that 904 should have been left alone. Leave the trendy stuff for the eco cars.

It seems like every gear that is added to a auto trans makes it less reliable. Our new expy has a 10 speed in it. It clunks and overheats regularly. I doubt it will make it much past the warranty (as planned)

So now after I get up a little speed in first gear , I let off the gas peddle and it changes to 2 and on to third.
It’s just not changing from 1st to 2nd without a little help from the gas peddle.
So I figure it has to do with the kickdown cable Maybe.

So now after I get up a little speed in first gear , I let off the gas peddle and it changes to 2 and on to third.
It’s just not changing from 1st to 2nd without a little help from the gas peddle.
So I figure it has to do with the kickdown cable Maybe.
Loosen the clip, let it relax to no slack without any preload and give that a try.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Loosen the clip, let it relax to no slack without any preload and give that a try.
If the cable is binding a little it may be wise to loosen the clip, go under the Jeep and make sure to pull it all the way closed.

After you get it set up, go under the Jeep and open and close the transmission side valve by hand. That's how I diagnosed my hard shifting. The cable had too much friction and was causing the valve to close slowly/stay slightly open.