32RH swap thread that isn't 5 years old but will be by the time I get done

Here is the OEM jumper harness that works the manual trans reverse lights and manual trans NSS completion. You can see how they completed the NSS circuit and why they call it a 6 pin connector.
View attachment 484222

View attachment 484223

View attachment 484224

View attachment 484225

That’s from a 4 cylinder. The 6 cylinder harnesses use an apex 2.8 4 pin connector for both auto and manual, simply with a different pigtail that goes to the NSS or manual reverse light switch.

Hose jockeys trans has the NSS pigtail on it.

Reactions: starkey480
That’s from a 4 cylinder. The 6 cylinder harnesses use an apex 2.8 4 pin connector for both auto and manual, simply with a different pigtail that goes to the NSS or manual reverse light switch.

IMG_8282.jpeg

This is connected to my reverse switch on my AX15. The other side of the connector is tucked up too tight for me to get it apart but I do see that it has the red perpendicular locking tab if that means anything.

PXL_20231222_175443626.jpg

PXL_20231222_175741851.jpg

Thank you for that. I have no idea why then that I have several of them floating around here since I have never done an auto swap behind a 4 cylinder.

You’ve got everything you need. The 3 pin with red tab is VSS. 2 pin weather pack with pins in male plug is 4WD light switch. The 4 pin with red locking tab will plug in in place of the old manual harness. In your photo of the manual harness, it goes from a 4 pin at the chassis harness to a 2 pin at the transmission. You’ll unplug the 4 pin there and the 4 pin that came on the auto will plug straight in. Easy work.

You should find the torque converter wiring tucked away once transmission is out. That should plug right in.

I don’t know if you swapped to the 241 already or if that’s part of the project. If it’s part of the project, you’ll need to modify the 4x plug to have some key ways like Blaine and I discussed yesterday, and you’ll need the normally closed version of the normally open 231 light switch. Switch part number needed is 1S4219, or at least searching that will give you the idea. There might be a better quality version from ACDelco or something. That switch is for Blazer and a number of GM pickups and Suburban type vehicles of the 90s.

Edit: 15582030 is the ACDelco/GM part number for NC switch. Can find a few NOS, but that's all.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you swapped to the 241 already or if that’s part of the project. If it’s part of the project, you’ll need to modify the 4x plug to have some key ways like Blaine and I discussed yesterday, and you’ll need the normally closed version of the normally open 231 light switch. Switch part number needed is 1S4219, or at least searching that will give you the idea. There might be a better quality version from ACDelco or something. That switch is for Blazer and a number of GM pickups and Suburban type vehicles of the 90s.

Edit: 15582030 is the ACDelco/GM part number for NC switch. Can find a few NOS, but that's all.

Thanks for the info! I've had the 241 in for around 10 years.

Reactions: machoheadgames

Now it is messed up again. I'll get a pic later but my 4 cylinder auto chassis and drivetrain has the straight 4 pin connector, so that oddball damn thing I have several of isn't from a 4 cylinder.

Now it is messed up again. I'll get a pic later but my 4 cylinder auto chassis and drivetrain has the straight 4 pin connector, so that oddball damn thing I have several of isn't from a 4 cylinder.

I had assumed 4 cylinder because I never work on those but after checking all year FSM’s, c154 is always a 4 pin. Maybe it’s from a Cherokee?

I had assumed 4 cylinder because I never work on those but after checking all year FSM’s, c154 is always a 4 pin. Maybe it’s from a Cherokee?

Everything I saw was that it was always a 4 pin, except the 2002 diagram randomly showed both a 4 pin and 6 pin. It showed the 6 pin as engine side and 4 pin as transmission side, which of course doesn't make any sense.

Well from what I can see, hose jockeys harness side is a 4 pin and his transmission came with a 4 pin pigtail so he is good to go there. I haven’t ran into one yet that did not have the tcc lock up connector already on the jeep but I think he still needs to find that on his jeep.

Never done a swap in one. I do know these are from 32RH swaps. Other than that, no idea what's going on.

Went to the junkyard today as they got another TJ with 32RH in it. The listing wasn't even 4 hours old and the thing was damn near picked over already. The front end and motor were gone. I look under the Jeep to see the transmission still sitting there! The guy who took the motor was still there and he didn't want the transmission. I had to cut one wire and remove it from the rear driveshaft. I pulled it out and then separated the t-case from it. The dipstick and tube was there as well! I grabbed the brake pedal too. The two cables were trashed as was the shifter bezel. The guy who took the motor did not want to give me the flex plate 🤬. After I was getting ready to leave, I looked over and saw the grille lean up against the car next to it 😎. The simple wins in life!

Screenshot_20240202-175641~2.png

Screenshot_20240202-175657~3.png

Screenshot_20240202-175857~2.png

PXL_20240202_224649182.jpg

PXL_20240202_224700406.jpg

Went to the junkyard today as they got another TJ with 32RH in it. The listing wasn't even 4 hours old and the thing was damn near picked over already. The front end and motor were gone. I look under the Jeep to see the transmission still sitting there! The guy who took the motor was still there and he didn't want the transmission. I had to cut one wire and remove it from the rear driveshaft. I pulled it out and then separated the t-case from it. The dipstick and tube was there as well! I grabbed the brake pedal too. The two cables were trashed as was the shifter bezel. The guy who took the motor did not want to give me the flex plate 🤬. After I was getting ready to leave, I looked over and saw the grille lean up against the car next to it 😎. The simple wins in life!

View attachment 496741

View attachment 496742

View attachment 496743

View attachment 496744

View attachment 496745

I'm blown away that certain regions still get wranglers at the pick n pull. On the west coast you won't ever see one

I've only seen a Wrangler in a junkyard once in the metro area, @hosejockey61 has all the luck

Luck favors the prepared! In all seriousness, you have to be ready at a moments notice. Good parts don't last more than a day or two after it's in the yard. I get the notifications and am still often late to the party.

Reactions: lBasket
To be fair, we've run into some oddity there. I'd have to ponder it some but I seem to recall there is an adapter harness on some and not on others but both have a common connector at the harness they plug into. I know I had to hunt down one of them for an auto swap into an 02 which struck me as odd at the time since I hadn't had to do that with earlier swaps.

This is for one of them. I'd have to dig into a few of the rigs to see which one.

View attachment 483880

I looked at the wiring harness on this transmission I pulled from the 2002. This harness was not in the mix.