32RH to AX-15 transmission swap (Do I need rear driveshaft from manual car?)

Turdworlder

TJ Enthusiast
My 32rh is half dead, i can barely ride 40-60 km/h in my mountanious city, it changes from first to second only after 5~ times degassing. So i already have ax 15 from 1997 wrangler tj, flywheel, clutch pedal assmbly, main clutch cylinder, gonna tinker slave cylinder from niva.

My question is do i need rear driveshaft from manual car? Can i ride without front shaft for 1 week without offroading, if yes how do i stop leaking from connections of front absent shaft?

My jeep is 2002 y.m. 32 rh. I will rebuild the 32 rh slowly since mailforwarding will cost it three times of torque converters price.

32 rh leaks at the driveplate and tranny connection.

Last edited:
You will not need a new rear axle. Maybe you meant rear driveshaft though? I'm not sure there. There are lots of guides for people who swap an AX15 out for an auto. I would hunt one of those guides up and you should be able to determine what parts you'll need (just in reverse). Good luck!

You will not need a new rear axle. Maybe you meant rear driveshaft though? I'm not sure there. There are lots of guides for people who swap an AX15 out for an auto. I would hunt one of those guides up and you should be able to determine what parts you'll need (just in reverse). Good luck!
Yes, sorry it is driveshaft. All of my bookmarked threads from old web 1.0 with detailed tranny swaps are gone, either sites are down or my bookmarks. My jeep is a working horse i carry stuff at the back, after numerous times in attempt to find my bookmarked sites i created this thread.

You should not leak any fluid from front of transfer. Folks go 1 shaft all the time to figure out vibe issues. So no problem there. Rear shaft length I don't know. Welcome to the world of 'real' Jeepers!😉 other than the pedals it's a pretty straight swap.👍

Your 32RH is a rugged transmission, before assuming it is toast at least do this... correctly check its ATF level. With the engine running, shift through the gears a couple times then shift into Neutral and leave it there after setting the parking brake. The engine MUST be running and the transmission MUST be in NEUTRAL while checking its ATF level. If it's in Park or if the engine isn't running while you check the ATF level the dipstick will give you a false higher-than-accurate ATF level.

I was on the trail with a friend whose transmission was slipping while going up a fairly minor climb. I checked its level and it was down about 1.5 quarts. I added 2 quarts of ATF+4 which completely fixed her problem. It's better for an automatic to be slightly overfilled than even slightly low on its ATF level which can cause slippage and other problems.

Your 32RH is a rugged transmission, before assuming it is toast at least do this... correctly check its ATF level. With the engine running, shift through the gears a couple times then shift into Neutral and leave it there after setting the parking brake. The engine MUST be running and the transmission MUST be in NEUTRAL while checking its ATF level. If it's in Park or if the engine isn't running while you check the ATF level the dipstick will give you a false higher-than-accurate ATF level.

I was on the trail with a friend whose transmission was slipping while going up a fairly minor climb. I checked its level and it was down about 1.5 quarts. I added 2 quarts of ATF+4 which completely fixed her problem. It's better for an automatic to be slightly overfilled than even slightly low on its ATF level which can cause slippage and other problems.
I will do, but i am worried the torque converter is gone. Whenever i commnce stop at trafficklights it chokes almost dies, it dies if i am not soft with brake, i checked the brake when the engine tranny is cold with powerful brake pedal pushing no problems, it happens after i climb from neatherlands upper to mountain my house. Temp is almost at 100c because of no upshift, it doesnt boil.

Check your ATF level first and only if it is full at the top of the full mark/range using the correct measuring technique worry about the torque converter.

sites are down
For websites that are down or no longer working, try using archive.org. Put the URL in here and see if they have any old snapshots:
1592325128259.png

I poured 250 gramms of mopar atf +4, it helped a little, its smoother now, but still whines and in traffic jams and uphill driving it hesitates sometimes kicks. The mini burnout came back in full throttle gas pedal. Some guy on russian forum said he just opened the tranny and assmbled it back, and it helped him, dye think this will work out? Or full flush from radiator passenger side will help?

Rebuild it if needed. That's a better trans than an ax-15.
p.s. Don't watch Russian forums. See what it did in 3 useless years for the Dems and Teflon Trump. Is Nancy Pelosi a skeleton with someone moving her jaw to say stupid shit?

p.s. Sorry. This no profanity filter thing is crazy. I need restrictions in my life.
p.p.s. Jerry, did you get a glass eye? (y) I'm not used to you without the eye patch.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
PM me the reason. I'm sure I was involved in it and did it myself just being an asshole.
It is always the same. Basic things that get argued about incessantly. Hey boogie, if you hit your thumb with that big ass hammer, it is going to hurt.

Then the bullshit starts. Well, you're wrong because I hit my thumb once and it didn't hurt. Well yeah, that's because you hit it after you cut the fucking thing off. I don't ever hit my thumb. What if it is a rubber hammer? What if I have my bulletproof gloves on? Will it hurt then? What if my thumb likes being smacked with a hammer? Pics or it didn't happen. That'll buff out. Where's my popcorn? Well, fuck you, I painted my rims with peel off coating and didn't hit my thumb so you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Endless, mindless, bullshit.

Everyone is looking to be valid and they think if they can somehow prove you wrong, or provide some contrary crap it validates their bullshit. No, it just makes you an asshole and the internet is full up with assholes, we don't need any more.

Sorry for stupid question but do parts like clutches etc from other like jeep grand cherokee,cherokee trannies with 42re etc fit my 32rh. Wranglers are rare here but i can find parts for those 4 door jeep trannies