32RH transmission fluid leaking from bellhousing

Derek V

Hello, Jeep community. I just successfully changed the RMS on my 4.0 a day ago. I have had oil leaking the for many years and always just thought it was oil, which it may have been. Now that I have fixed that leak, I noticed I am leaking tranny fluid from the bottom of the bell housing. About a month ago I changed the tranny filter because of hard shifting and slippage into second gear. I am at about 125k. That problem went away. Unfortunately, I am now leaking a few drops of tranny fluid an hour out of the front of the bell housing. After spending a couple days fixing the rear main and getting past some really stubborn down pipe bolts my satisfaction was short lived. :( Can anyone please diagnose the most likely cause? I have searched here but haven't found a definitive answer on what the likely cause is. Thank you!!
fullsizeoutput_220.jpeg
IMG_0052.JPG

Last edited:
Either from a leaky input shaft seal or the transmission was overfilled with ATF+4. There is a vent hole just above the input shaft that will leak ATF if the transmission was overfilled. Either is an easy fix.

Thank you for the reply Jerry. I actually did overfill the transmission to begin with. I went and got a siphon after driving it only maybe 10 miles to get it and sucked out the extra. However, since doing that, the transmission fluid has been right where it should be, testing in neutral at temperature. Currently its on the bottom part of "safe". Will I be taking off everything I just did to replace the RMS to do the input shaft seal if that is actually the culprit?

Thank you for the reply Jerry. I actually did overfill the transmission to begin with. I went and got a siphon after driving it only maybe 10 miles to get it and sucked out the extra. However, since doing that, the transmission fluid has been right where it should be, testing in neutral at temperature. Currently its on the bottom part of "safe". Will I be taking off everything I just did to replace the RMS to do the input shaft seal if that is actually the culprit?
You may just be seeing some of the excess ATF leaking out, give it a bit more time to see if it stops leaking. If it is the input shaft seal that is leaking, you only need to remove the transmission to replace it. Could also be a leak from the torque converter area but let's assume your leak is just caused by the transmission having been overfilled initially.

Last edited:
Ok, I will give it a while to see if it stops. And thank you for the insight and knowledge, Jerry, I really appreciate it. You seem to be the go to guy on the forum. Thank you, again.

One last thought is that if your transmission wasn't leaking before it was overfilled, odds are about 99.99% that it just leaked out the vent hole while it was overfilled.

Reactions: KCsTJ
One last thought is that if your transmission wasn't leaking before it was overfilled, odds are about 99.99% that it just leaked out the vent hole while it was overfilled.
Ok, I honestly don't think it was leaking as I never had to replace any transmission fluid. So, I will be hoping it was just overfilled. Thanks, Jerry!

Did you find out if it was overfilled. I got the same exact leak
Unfortunately, it wasn’t just overfilled. I haven’t fixed it yet since the leak is so small and it’s not the easiest job. I’m not wheeling it so the fix can wait. Jerry’s previous recommendation on the input shaft seal will be what I attempt to fix when the time comes.

I don’t think mine is over filled either. But I did notice when I parked on a slope. It started leaking a lot more. I will probably try the seals too.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t just overfilled. I haven’t fixed it yet since the leak is so small and it’s not the easiest job. I’m not wheeling it so the fix can wait. Jerry’s previous recommendation on the input shaft seal will be what I attempt to fix when the time comes.
Got the same problem. My TJ isn't my daily and so it doens't get driven often. When its driven, it doens't leak very much...but when its sitting it leaks quite a bit.

Hello
I have the same problem
I'm planning to go on a long trip with my jeep and I wonder if is that dangerous for my car or not...
What do you think...?

I know this is an older post, when I take the inspection plate off, all I really can see is the flywheel flex plate - where is the weep hole? I've got transmission fluid on the floor, can't see if it's the front shaft seal or if it's hopefully coming from the weep hole.

I know this is an older post, when I take the inspection plate off, all I really can see is the flywheel flex plate - where is the weep hole? I've got transmission fluid on the floor, can't see if it's the front shaft seal or if it's hopefully coming from the weep hole.
You won’t be able to see the wrep hole unless you take the transmission off. Check the fluid to make sure it’s not overfilled

It's a vent not a weep hole and it's located behind the torque converter, just above the input shaft.