32RH Transmission issue on 98 TJ

Palmy

Hi team,
I have an issue with the automatic transmission in my '98 TJ.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving and it suddenly felt like the Jeep was in permanent neutral. It would sometimes move (enough to go to the side of road), but needed high revs to do so. I immediately pulled over and checked the trans fluid level. It was a darker colour, but not pink - so I don't think there's water in the transmission. The fluid level was at around the minimum point, so I filled it up using generic ATF (we do not have ATF+4 in my town). It also sometimes makes a loud noise when in Drive/Reverse. I'm not sure if I filled it up correctly as it didn't fix the issue.

I have only had this Jeep for 6 months and it's had just under 73,000miles on it. I emailed the dealer who said they would have their mechanic look at it, but they haven't made contact since then (nearly 2 weeks now).

Is the transmission shot? Or would it just be a task of dropping the pan, replacing the filter and putting new fluid into it.

Cheers!

I would definitely take it back to them and let them check it out. Any vehicle I've had that did that, ended up needing a new transmission. Maybe it just needs the bands adjusted. That's low mileage to have the transmission go bad, unless the wrong ATF was used.

I would definitely take it back to them and let them check it out. Any vehicle I've had that did that, ended up needing a new transmission. Maybe it just needs the bands adjusted. That's low mileage to have the transmission go bad, unless the wrong ATF was used.
Their contracted mechanic had a look at it and has said it needs a new transmission.
Pretty disappointed with the result, I was hoping it would just need a topup of trans fluid!

Seems very low mileage to have the trans go out...

Their contracted mechanic had a look at it and has said it needs a new transmission.
Pretty disappointed with the result, I was hoping it would just need a topup of trans fluid!

Seems very low mileage to have the trans go out...
Sorry to hear that.

"ATF+4 is the only correct ATF for your 32RH. Don't even consider using anything else. If the bottle's front label doesn't say ATF+4 in big letters it's the wrong stuff." from Jerry from some (2014) time ago.