32s vs 33s: Let’s see em!

20220402_153608.jpg

4" 33s

Reactions: Jason06
There is a bit of confirmation bias built into everyone's response to their new gears. I have a friend with 33's and 4.56 with the Ax-15. He loves it...because its better than it used to be with 3.73 and who wants to drop 2 grand on regearing an axle and be unhappy? If we bolt his 33's on my jeep with 4.88's and he drives it, would he then want 4.88's too? Who knows...but probably not.

I know I'm pretty happy with the 4.88s...but I also know there is more on the table to be had. Its WAY better than 4.10s and 35's...but its not perfect.

Reactions: Mobusaki and GPK03X
I know a regear is in my future. 33's with 3.73's and five speed. Fifth gear is pretty much useless unless the road is dead flat or I am doing 80mph... which I never do.

Seams 4.88's is what the interweb says I should have but I don't want to drop two grande without the ability to test the gearing. What do most of you do? Do you just trust what the internet says? There is one Rubicon in my neighborhood, owned by a young girl who is very unapproachable. Tried to chat with her about her Trektop and she wasn't engaging at all. Asking for a test drive would be useless... plus she has an otherwise stock Rubi with what look like 32's. If she didn't regear it should have 4.10's right?

I know a regear is in my future. 33's with 3.73's and five speed. Fifth gear is pretty much useless unless the road is dead flat or I am doing 80mph... which I never do.

Seams 4.88's is what the interweb says I should have but I don't want to drop two grande without the ability to test the gearing. What do most of you do? Do you just trust what the internet says? There is one Rubicon in my neighborhood, owned by a young girl who is very unapproachable. Tried to chat with her about her Trektop and she wasn't engaging at all. Asking for a test drive would be useless... plus she has an otherwise stock Rubi with what look like 32's. If she didn't regear it should have 4.10's right?

On yours, 4th gear at 75mph should be about 3k rpm and will be close to what 5th/75mph will be like with 4.88.

You will regain 5th gear and the steps getting up to 5th gear will be much nicer.

You can use this calculator to get an idea of what different gear ratios will give you, but of course it is not the same as driving it: http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Dropping down in tire size has the same affect as going up in gear ratio, so you can buy a cheap set of small tires and see what that is like. Fiddle with the calculator above and see what gear ratio would have given the same affect. That's about the only way to see what a regear would be like with your own Jeep without actually doing one.

When I was on 31's and 4.56, using that calculator you'll see that is roughly what 4.88 and 33's would have driven like, so that's why I knew I should have gone with 4.88's for when I get 33's instead of the 4.56 that was recommended by the forums at the time.

Playing with the calculator, dropping down to a 215/75r15 (~27") gets you to close to what a 4.56 and 33" tire would feel like. I believe that's the smallest factory size tire, so going even smaller to see what 4.88 and 33" would be like may be tough, I believe 4x4.5 is a common bolt pattern so maybe not. It should give you a good idea regardless. You'll know if you need more oomph on the highway or if you feel like you are shifting gears too soon.

Playing with the calculator, dropping down to a 215/75r15 (~27") gets you to close to what a 4.56 and 33" tire would feel like. I believe that's the smallest factory size tire, so going even smaller to see what 4.88 and 33" would be like may be tough, I believe 4x4.5 is a common bolt pattern so maybe not. It should give you a good idea regardless. You'll know if you need more oomph on the highway or if you feel like you are shifting gears too soon.

A tire that measures out to 24.5" (or 12.25" hub center height) with 3.73 will be the same as 33/4.88. Both with the 5 speeds.

Reactions: Mobusaki