33’s on a 2003 TJ with 1.25” body lift.

Will 33’s fit with NO rubbing on a ‘03 TJ with a 1.25 body lift? I’m running 31’s. It’s my daily driver. I do light wheeling on forest service roads. Nothing crazy, I don’t like when my clutch legs gets the nervous shakes. If 33’s will rub, are 32’s OK?
Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Will 33’s fit with NO rubbing on a ‘03 TJ with a 1.25 body lift? It’s my daily driver. I do light wheeling on forest service roads. Nothing crazy, I don’t like when my clutch legs gets the nervous shakes.
Thanks for the advice!

More than likely, they will rub. You need correct backspacing and more spring between the frame and axle.

Plus for 33’s you should also consider re-gearing the axles for the bigger tire size. Doing so will correct the power lose and the MPG’s

32s can rub on the control arms at full steering lock, so 33s, especially 12.5 wide, will definitely. As far as on the flares, probably ok on the street, but wheeling will have the tires into the flares.

Minimally you’d need more (EDIT: LESS) backspacing than stock rims, stay with a 33x10.5, the 1.25” BL, and a 2” SL (including new shocks) and bump stop accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
Will 33’s fit with NO rubbing on a ‘03 TJ with a 1.25 body lift? I’m running 31’s. It’s my daily driver. I do light wheeling on forest service roads. Nothing crazy, I don’t like when my clutch legs gets the nervous shakes. If 33’s will rub, are 32’s OK?
Thanks for the advice!

Simple answer, no. 31's can rub if disconnected using stock backspaced wheels. 32 would be better but you can still have rubbing. If you are trying to stay on a tight budget, using the body lift and some 2" spring spacers along with proper bumpstops and wheel backspacing, a 33x10.50 would work.

Thanks for the advice!

Is there a particular reason why you want 33’s? You seem to be doing very light wheeling mainly on dirt roads...just curious, not trying to bash here but what is the point for your desire to move up in tire size.

OK, I went with a set of Hankook DynaPro MT RT03's 32 /11.50R15 113Q C1 OWL Should be in next week! As the tire guy mounts, I'll have him check all the clearances and install spacers, bumpstops, and wheel backspacing as needed. Tomorrow I should rec. and install a Novak T-Case Cable Shifter Assembly.

Reactions: Chris
OMG two weeks and the garage (small town [shop local] tire shop) cannot find the Hankooks. I went back and forth, but, I had a set of Falken Rocky Mountains. I had them for four years, they’ve been good for me. So, I decided to go with 32’s of the Wild Peaks. I like them. Next Ranchos 5000.

2a1e8779fc87fb62886e9b86ca02a1a4.jpg

OMG two weeks and the garage (small town [shop local] tire shop) cannot find the Hankooks. I went back and forth, but, I had a set of Falken Rocky Mountains. I had them for four years, they’ve been good for me. So, I decided to go with 32’s of the Wild Peaks. I like them. Next Ranchos 5000.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkView attachment 30713
I assume you’re not getting any rubbing?Looks nice. Love the new shoes. Aggressive side walll!

Just so I am clear, 32's with no lift correct?

Just so I am clear, 32's with no lift correct?
32's with a 1.25 Body Lift. No rubbing on the street! I was going to do a 2" suspension lift, but, I think that would be an unnecessary expense for my purposes unless when I'm in my favorite forest service I experience some. I just ordered a set of Rancho RS5000X Gas Shocks and i'm going to replace my front rotors and brake pads next week!

Reactions: Starrs
32's with a 1.25 Body Lift. No rubbing on the street! I was going to do a 2" suspension lift, but, I think that would be an unnecessary expense for my purposes unless when I'm in my favorite forest service I experience some. I just ordered a set of Rancho RS5000X Gas Shocks and i'm going to replace my front rotors and brake pads next week!
Gotcha. I currently have 30's on mine and was thinking the next time I need tires I was thinking of 31's or 32's with no lift at all.

32's might be cutting it close but I'm not sure.

Looks good. I would double check the front end for clearance at full compression. A stock TJ has about 5" up travel and just based on your pic, you are gonna be cutting it close.

The RS5000X is a great choice :headbang:

2F170111-FFD5-47E6-9279-0167C51B43C4.jpeg

These are what I have on my 2003 Rubicon. I have the original 16 inch wheels but 16’s are rapidly becoming dinosaur’s and the tire selection isn’t that great. I have a 3 1/2 inch suspension lift and want to put the BFG 12 X 33 All Terrain’s off my CJ over on the TJ. I know I’ll have to use wheel spacers to prevent rubbing but will I have any other problems? Are these wheels 8” wide?

View attachment 31391
These are what I have on my 2003 Rubicon. I have the original 16 inch wheels but 16’s are rapidly becoming dinosaur’s and the tire selection isn’t that great. I have a 3 1/2 inch suspension lift and want to put the BFG 12 X 33 All Terrain’s off my CJ over on the TJ. I know I’ll have to use wheel spacers to prevent rubbing but will I have any other problems? Are these wheels 8” wide?

The ravine wheels are 8” wide. Those look like the OE replica wheels of the ravines which are also 8” wide. You can tell because the center cap doesn’t say “jeep” from your picture.

Just found this old post and am in same situation. My 1998 TJ I need to replace all stock suspension and rock auto and all MOOG parts minus shocks put me at 746 and a 2 inch lift makes no sense as it will cost me way way more. I have same setup with one inch body lift. What gearing do you have and are you still happy with the 32’s?