Looking for input on this wheel and tire setup

MikeO

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wrangler Sport 2.5 lift, 4.0L 3 sp. Auto (will be re-gearing if I don’t like the 3.73 with 33s)

Okay, So I have done my research, read about wheels and tires here and “listened” to the wisdom of your experience. Here’s where I am :

BFG 33/10.50 r15 on a MB (TKO) Wheel (15 X8 5-114.30 -19)
Justification:
I wanted a C load range tire. 15” is only option in a 33”
I wanted to keep the weight down. This will be 70lb total per wheel.
I prefer Duratracs, but BFG’s offer the 10.50
I like the 12.50, but it will stick out past flares.

Nothing Ordered yet as I want to get this right for me.

Input?

33" tires might be a little tight on a 2.5" lift. Not that bad, but here is a photo of my TJ with 33" Duratracs on a 2.5" OME lift:

IMG_4631.JPG
IMG_4632.JPG

Okay, so maybe it's not that tight, but I think 1" more of lift would be good, so maybe at some point plan on adding a 1" body lift and you'd be set.

As for the wheel / tire setup, I think that sounds perfect. I'd stick with the 10.5" width as well.

It can be done on 3" of lift with the proper bumpstop extensions. 2.5" of lift is ok if you don't plan on disco'ing your sway bar or getting super flexy. Keep in mind a 33" tire is only 32" once mounted and the weight of the jeep is on it, and even less if you air down to offroad. Rubi flares will help with clearance if you stuff the tires, and you are spot on with a 1050 wide tire.
20170911_163327.jpg

With proper bump stop extensions, you can clear.
20150729_093741.jpg

20150729_093727.jpg

Reactions: Tj04
33" tires might be a little tight on a 2.5" lift. Not that bad, but here is a photo of my TJ with 33" Duratracs on a 2.5" OME lift:

View attachment 21994 View attachment 21995

Okay, so maybe it's not that tight, but I think 1" more of lift would be good, so maybe at some point plan on adding a 1" body lift and you'd be set.

As for the wheel / tire setup, I think that sounds perfect. I'd stick with the 10.5" width as well.

Did this set up rub at all?

Did this set up rub at all?

Not on-road at all, even under full turn. I didn't get a chance to really flex it off-road. Since I had it bump stopped correctly, it shouldn't have rubbed off-road either. My plan was to install a 1.25" body lift in addition to the 2.5" OME lift, but instead I just swapped it out for the Currie 4" lift.

Not on-road at all, even under full turn. I didn't get a chance to really flex it off-road. Since I had it bump stopped correctly, it shouldn't have rubbed off-road either. My plan was to install a 1.25" body lift in addition to the 2.5" OME lift, but instead I just swapped it out for the Currie 4" lift.
Those are 10.50s correct? Im planning on buying a set tomorrow. I may add a body lift down the road.. but who knows maybe Ill swap for a real 4" someday too lol

Those are 10.50s correct? Im planning on buying a set tomorrow. I may add a body lift down the road.. but who knows maybe Ill swap for a real 4" someday too lol

11.2" actually. They're 285/75r16, which equates to 32.8" x 11.2".

Perfect size though IMHO because they aren't too skinny, but aren't too wide either. Great on-road manners, and excellent off-road as well. Amazing tires for sure.

11.2" actually. They're 285/75r16, which equates to 32.8" x 11.2".

Perfect size though IMHO because they aren't too skinny, but aren't too wide either. Great on-road manners, and excellent off-road as well. Amazing tires for sure.
Awesome thanks Chris. Ive been back and forth between 10.50s and 12.50s. Ill have to see if I can find a size in-between that fits a 15" wheel.

Awesome thanks Chris. Ive been back and forth between 10.50s and 12.50s. Ill have to see if I can find a size in-between that fits a 15" wheel.

Yep, I'm stuck with these odd ball sizes because of my 16" Moab wheels, but it actually works out, because I kind of like this in-between size!

Reactions: Yetigain
BFG makes the MT in a 255/85R16.... 32.4x10.10. But it it is a D. Best memory was miled out last summer. Temp was close to 100. Those tires were like slicks on dry summer pavement. The TJ felt like a Mustang. But I like tall skinny too.

View attachment 21994 View attachment 21995

Now you got me thinking of going the 285-75/16 route instead of the 33-10.5/15!..

Now you got me thinking of going the 285-75/16 route instead of the 33-10.5/15!..
Stick with 15" wheel size and inch size tires so you can get the appropriate C Load Range, otherwise odds are increased it'd have a stiffer D or E Load Ranger. 16" wheels and tires are less popular so they have a smaller assortment of more expensive offerings. And it's harder to get metric sizes in C Load Ranges.

I have 265-70/15 s. great on the road and trail i dont have mountains and im not mudding so my highway tread is good.
1625168449973.png

im far from a tire expert but i would assume you should buy them based on necessity vs size. Like do i see bigger tires and sigh yes but the 6" lift days are gone for me and now we happy around the 30's size.