33/10.5R15 or 32/11.5R15?

Hi all. I'm new to forums in general and still new to my TJ. I've wanted one since I was a boy but was never in the cards. After my second XJ went to pasture, a stroke of luck found me parking my first Wrangler in my driveway. I got it this summer and have been impatiently waiting for my bank account (and my wife) to give me the okay to buy some upgrades. So in the mean time I've been spending way too much time looking into what I'd like to do over all. Its pretty nice as is. 2006 TJ SE, 2.4l, 6 speed manual and 99.9% sure 3:73 gears. Its been lifted slightly. 2" I believe, but no more than that. The first thing I wanted to do was replace the wheels and tires. It has 31" equivalents, not on stock wheels. I'm looking at American Racing 172 Baja 15x8 satin black wheels and either 32" tires or 33"x10.5". I REALLY want to go the 33" route but I read that may not be such a great idea...but I love the look. It's my daily driver and I don't off road with it except for easy trails while camping occasionally. I guess I'm hoping to get some feed back, words of wisdom and if there are any photos of folks running 32s or 33x10.5s that would be great.

View attachment 63138
find the 4 angry squirrels posts. tons of good advice on the SE

most important thing for SE performance is light weight. No matter what buy the lighter version of any "upgrades". And with a 2.4L engine, that tire size vs gear ratio is incredibly important. 3.73 is a great 4.0L ratio. Might be a great ratio in an SE with 30/31 tires. But you will struggle with 33s.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
most important thing for SE performance is light weight. No matter what buy the lighter version of any "upgrades". And with a 2.4L engine, that tire size vs gear ratio is incredibly important. 3.73 is a great 4.0L ratio. Might be a great ratio in an SE with 30/31 tires. But you will struggle with 33s.

Thanks for the info. I’ve been checking weights for just that reason. One of the reasons I’m thinking of 10.5” over the 12.5” wide tires. The 32” and 33” tires I’m looking at are close to the same weight. Regearing is something I’m going to look at next.

find the 4 angry squirrels posts. tons of good advice on the SE

Thanks lol. I'm not looking to do too much actually. I really like the 2.4l, which surprised me. I had two Cherokees with 4.0s in them and they are tanks. but the gas mileage I get with the 4 banger is great compared to the 4.0. I really just want a different stance and
So 3.73 might be fine in town. Offroad the easy fix for 33s, 4cylinders, 3.73 is 4LO. If you are not going over 30mph shift into 4LO and stay there.

Okay thanks. I appreciate all the tips and advice.

I run 32x11.50s with 3.73 gears and 2 inch lift. I think it looks and drives well too.

Man that does look sweet. I’ve read a few posts saying something similar to you. The BFG KO2 32x11.5 and the 33x10.5 are about the same weight. I’m wondering if the circumference difference between the two will have a big effect. I really like the looks of your machine. 32s still leave enough space in the wells so it looks proportionate and not weird. If that makes sense.

Man that does look sweet. I’ve read a few posts saying something similar to you. The BFG KO2 32x11.5 and the 33x10.5 are about the same weight. I’m wondering if the circumference difference between the two will have a big effect. I really like the looks of your machine. 32s still leave enough space in the wells so it looks proportionate and not weird. If that makes sense.
Thanks I'm glad I went with what I did! (It was also cheaper)

"I’m wondering if the circumference difference between the two will have a big effect."

With the 4.0L, no noticable difference.
With the SE minute differences are noticable.

That said, all depends on your use. Scrambling up a waterfall in an SE, stay smaller, 31s. But running forestry roads and beaches in 4LO, 33s will be fine on the SE. But 31s will always be noticeably "better?"

Also depends on wether you are willing to stay in 4LO. Me, I'd love an SE as my weekend Jeep. It would never see 60mph. And more than half its miles would be in 4LO. I'd likely pick 33x10.50R15s.

Last edited:
Personally, I like the looks of 33x10.5 r15's, they fit under the flares nicely. Plus they have better road manners. Plenty capable offroad as well.
20180617_171853.jpg

Personally, I like the looks of 33x10.5 r15's, they fit under the flares nicely. Plus they have better road manners. Plenty capable offroad as well.

Thanks for sharing the pic. That's a nice lookin truck man. I'd rather not go wider than 10.5. I think they look great on top of the handling and mileage perks over wider tires. Having a 2.4l leaves me worried to get them before I can afford the regearing. I really like the look you have with your though.

I ran bfg 33x10.5 on 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing for a few years. They are great tires and had better road manners than my 12.5 inch wide tires I currently run. In an ideal world you would want to be close to 3.5 inches of lift to run them but since it doesn't seem like your pushing it to the limits you would probably be fine.

Is your 2 inch lift suspension or body? If suspension you could add a 1.25 bl to clear and while your doing that a mml wouldn't be a terrible idea.

The biggest issue you may have is gearing.

I cant take it any more...what is an MML??? Thanks...

I can't answer your question but I'm in the same bind. I have a '99 TJ with no lift and stock wheels but I would like bigger tires that come out a couple of inches, for the look, and off road performance. It's confusing to know the right off-set for rims, or how much of a lift you may, or may not need. Can I put 32 / 11.5 / 15 on my Jeep? I have spacers. Or is the only option in my case 31 / 10.5 / 15? Thanks