33s on stock suspension?

chrisjohnson1019

Looking at some 33 tires for sale near me but was wondering if anyone is running that size tire on stock? Anyone know if its a good choice? I still want a little bit of comfort but not a huge deal if that's lost

It’s possible for sure if you don’t mind a little rubbing. You will need wheels with the correct offset or spacers to keep the wider tire (if you go 12.5) from rubbing your rear spring perch at the minimum. A one inch body lift or spring spacer would help too.

Reactions: Tldelaney
Looking at some 33 tires for sale near me but was wondering if anyone is running that size tire on stock? Anyone know if its a good choice? I still want a little bit of comfort but not a huge deal if that's lost

Bad idea. Don't do it.

Reactions: D M
I have seen people running 35” on stock suspension.
can you do it? Yes.
Its far from ideal. depends on your use and personal likings.

personally, I wouldn’t do it.

I like TJs with a nice lift/tire size ratio. I didn't even like my TJ with 31” on stock suspension.

Lol lots of naysayers. The right wheel offset and body lift would without trying to wheel the thing you can do it. Also look into highline fenders if you don’t want to lift at all.

Reactions: hear
Very new to the Jeep World so my comment might be off base, but from what I have read you need the right rear end gears as well. Not just about the tire size

The last thing I'd recommend anyone do is try to run 33's on a stock height suspension, they'll rub badly... especially when driving over even minor bumps or dips. Could you do it with a 4" body lift? Yep but that'd be an even worse thing to install than 33's with a stock suspension. Could you do it with wheels with zero backspacing? Sure but then your tires and wheels would stick out so far you'd have the pimps coming after you.

I wish this forum was around 20 years ago when I got my TJ. For me with 33s and 3.73s on my Jeep with a 4.0 it was fine. I wouldn’t re gear. I used to wheel it a lot and wanted lower gears but if I went 33s I’d just regear the transfer case. That’s if I did it again.

I wish this forum was around 20 years ago when I got my TJ. For me with 33s and 3.73s on my Jeep with a 4.0 it was fine. I wouldn’t re gear. I used to wheel it a lot and wanted lower gears but if I went 33s I’d just regear the transfer case. That’s if I did it again.
It was only fine to you because you hadn't driven a TJ geared properly for 33's. People who have only eaten rice are perfectly happy with it until they try a ribeye steak cooked to medium-rare.

And you can't regear the 231 transfer case, you regear the axles. The tcase cannot be regeared for 2wd and the old 4:1 4Lo ratio made by Tera for the 231 is no longer being sold... too many problems with it.

I liked how mine drove with 33s I just always wished 4 low was lower. I have 4.88s now with 35s and it’s too low for 2wd. That’s just my opinion. Of course they don’t make the 4 lo kits anymore. Shows how long I have been paying attention. 😂

So, back to the OP, can you run 33’s on stock suspension? Yes. BUT.....
What are you considering suspension? All the arms and springs, just the springs?

To do this you’ll need to find a way to fit a 2” larger radius tire under the fenders. That’ll take a 1” BL amd a 1” bump drop of a 2” bump drop. Plus a pair of 1” wheel spacers for the front. On the street, never disconnecting it’ll work fine for 99% of the mall crawlers out there. If you disco, you’ll likely rub at full lock still and may rub a bit of the back of the fender and leading Edge of the rear fender well.

Only if you go off road!
Resident mall crawler here.
I run 33's on a stock suspension and NEVER rub. You'll more than likely have to add a washer or two to keep you from bumping your control arms at full cocked turn depending on the wheels you go with, that's all I had to do.
Keep in mind, MINE NEVER LEAVES THE PAVEMENT.
If this is you too, then yes you can do it. You leave the pavement on anything other than flat, you're gonna fuck up a lot of shit.
This is what it'll look like, plus threads really suck without pictures. lol
IMG_1253.JPG

Last edited:
lol, he didn't ask about re-gearing with the 33's, especially with a 5speed 4cyl?
That's another story all together. haha