Is 33s on a stock 2006 TJ with 3.73 gears asking for trouble?

CMTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Ok if I put 33's on my stock 2006 TJ with 3.73 gears, am I asking for trouble?? I do have a Zone 1.75 lift and I don't rock climb just sand and a little mud riding. It is my DD but not for long distances. I have 31's and it just looks kinda silly because there is a lot of space in the wheel well, you know just not proportionate. Thanks.
20170401_192756 (1).jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
Eye of the beholder, as they say. I think your Jeep looks fine with 31s, but you are the one who owns it. I wouldn't say you are asking for trouble, but you will experience loss of performance, especially on the highway. I see that you have an auto tranny - O/D will pretty much be useless. In order to have both the look you desire and stock performance, re-gearing would be necessary.

I personally think Jeeps look better lifted with larger than stock tires.
I see 33's and stock gears all the time , may not be optimal but lot's of people run them.
Atleast you have 3.73 and not the dreaded 3.07.

Reactions: JP13
Now, I have the manual transmission, but I can tell you that 33's with 3.73's (what I have) isn't necessarily ideal. It's not 'horrible' to drive, but because of this is am dropping to 31's soon, also because I miss my 31's and how simple they made my Jeep look.

Think long and hard on what you want! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KCsTJ and Head Lice
All good advice thanks. Maybe I will get a slightly more aggressive looking tire but stay with 31's. I will think about though. It is an auto trans too. If any one is running 31's, could you post a pic so I can get different ideas on tire type?

Reactions: Kyle_W
My jeep has the 42RLE, and I drove 33's with the stock 3.73 gearing for years.

It wasn't horrible, but again not ideal. I knew I lost some power. On the road, hills and wind made it worse.

I will admit it was fun. I liked the look of the 33's much more than 31's. I don't regret my decision.

I wouldn't let the 3.73 gearing stop me from getting 33's. I WOULD recommend trying to save up the cash to regear in the next couple years though. You'll be glad you did.

I bet it felt great to get the old zip back...

It still feels awesome. And it's my Daily driver.

There's sever people out there that are driving vehicles with large tires and crappy gear ratios. But there still having fun. I wouldn't let a bad gear ratio stop me from going to 33's. 35's, yes.

You can live with 33's and 3.73.

Reactions: Cheetokps
All good advice thanks. Maybe I will get a slightly more aggressive looking tire but stay with 31's. I will think about though. It is an auto trans too. If any one is running 31's, could you post a pic so I can get different ideas on tire type?

It's whatever you want to do!

What I've learned, is it sucks to spend a lot of money on something that you aren't sure about, then later fully realize that you wish you waited and really thought out what you wanted to buy.

If you want 33's, then get 33's! If you want to keep it simple, keep the 31's! Those BFG AT's are an amazing tire. That's probably what I'm gonna buy once my 33's wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got 33's with an automatic with stock gearing and it does good except Overdrive. I turn it off on the 2 lane roads but I live in the mountains, on the highway I kick it back on and it does decent. I think your Jeep looks good now but if you want 33's I would go for it.

2.5" OME and 31x 10.5's. GY Wrangler M/T Kevlar. Very aggressive. Love them. I'll probably go to 33's my next set. I'm 3.73 w a 6-speed tranny. I'll be planning to go to 4.56

IMG_5671.JPG

IMG_5810.JPG

Reactions: Tzerambo
You are looking for trouble trying to run 33's on a 1.75" spacer lift more than the lack of gearing. Unless you basically bump stop it to have about an inch of up travel you will be rubbing/trashing your fenders and flares. A more aggressive looking tire like the Duratrac or Cooper SST would be a better way to go. Your current tires look like they belong on my Kia Sorento :D

Last edited:
I like the way your Jeep looks. You just need a tire with a more aggressive tread (i.e. Duratrac) to give you that more "off-road" look.

33" tires on 3.73 gears won't be desirable, but you'll be able to get by just fine until you can afford a gear swap.

Reactions: Tzerambo and MikeM
33" tires on 3.73 gears won't be desirable, but you'll be able to get by just fine until you can afford a gear swap.

This is accurate.

I have a 5 speed, 3.73 and 33's. With my TJ all buttoned up (top and doors on) It's not terrible. I've ran from Louisiana to Destin and back all flat interstate driving, and it wasn't awful. In town, its not bad at all. Now, take off the doors and top and add some wind resistance and its terrible. I plan on regearing this summer, but it's totally drivable as is.

I have the 42RLE and 33's and 3.73 in the city/stop and go I actually think it has plenty of get up and go. Highway and inclines def suck. IfI could find a reputable shop, I would re-gear to 5.13 as Jerry B and a lot of others recommend. Finding a competent and knowledgable shop that stands by their work is the only thing holding me back

I am happy with my 31's, 3.73, auto, 2.5" lift. Looks good to me. IMO, the space makes it look like a bigger lift. 33's up hill on the freeway will mean truck lane only. Big sacrifice top end cruising.

69cad5cd84cb4b4cee13893731227593.jpg

Lee - 2005 TJ 4.0 Auto - Las Vegas