Is 33s on a stock 2006 TJ with 3.73 gears asking for trouble?

I'm still trying to figure this one out. The JKU owners I've talked to all get about the same, or worse than me: anywhere from 12-20, all dependant on setup and driving style. Not-a-one has ever told me anything above 20.

That's because most JKU owners can't do math.

Shit did I just say that?

This actually took me by surprise, Jerry. Usually, you suggest 4.56 for 33's with the 4.0 5-speed combo. Regardless, I've run the numbers countless times and driven the setup once and I loved it, I look forward to getting it in the near future. :)
Whoops I was misreading something, I was thinking 42RLE transmission. Yep I would not normally recommend 4.88 for 33's with the 5-speed and 4.0L engine engine for a Jeep that sees much street or highway time.

Reactions: LeePTI
I'm still trying to figure this one out. The JKU owners I've talked to all get about the same, or worse than me: anywhere from 12-20, all dependant on setup and driving style. Not-a-one has ever told me anything above 20.
I looked it up, 16 and 21. No way is anyone getting 30.

Just throwing out there, but the wife's JKU gets about 20 - 21 mpg on the freeway. Regular gas and just going with the flow of traffic. We're taking it back to South Dakota in a week, so we'll see how it does on a highway road trip. JK's are funny critters, they do get noticably better mileage than a TJ, but it's not enough to replace a TJ over.

Reactions: Rob5589
Another vote for sticking with 31's. Here's mine - 2" lift with 31" BFG KO2 ATs.View attachment 16009

d8e3173200ace702b42f5e28accd2ce5.jpg

Loving the 32's on my rig running stock 3.73 gears with the auto...barely noticed any performance loss...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KMET
I plan on re-gearing. I have the 42rle and daily it so is 4.56 better or 4.88s how much dose it normally cost to re-gear?

You should put info on your jeep in your profile. It'll make it easier.

Doing a quick search on some of your past posts, I see you're running 33's.

With the 42rle, and 33's, you want to regear to 5.13.

Reactions: Rob5589 and kball05
You should put info on your jeep in your profile. It'll make it easier.

Doing a quick search on some of your past posts, I see you're running 33's.

With the 42rle, and 33's, you want to regear to 5.13.

Yeah I have been meaning to do that sorry. With 5.13s I'll still have good hwy performance?

Just throwing out there, but the wife's JKU gets about 20 - 21 mpg on the freeway. Regular gas and just going with the flow of traffic. We're taking it back to South Dakota in a week, so we'll see how it does on a highway road trip. JK's are funny critters, they do get noticably better mileage than a TJ, but it's not enough to replace a TJ over.

My wife's JKU typically gets 20-21 on the highway as well. She can get up to 22 on the highway if conditions are right. Around the city she typically gets 17-18 MPG.

Reactions: StG58
Yeah I have been meaning to do that sorry. With 5.13s I'll still have good hwy performance?

Not to be blunt, but with 33's and 3.73 gearing, you DON'T have good highway performance right now.

I'm also assuming your jeep is an auto.

I used to run that combo, 3.73 and 33's, and I was amazed with the performance when I went to 5.13. My jeep had more low end power, could accelerate faster, better gas mileage, and I could pass and keep up with traffic.

Not to be blunt, but with 33's and 3.73 gearing, you DON'T have good highway performance right now.

I'm also assuming your jeep is an auto.

I used to run that combo, 3.73 and 33's, and I was amazed with the performance when I went to 5.13. My jeep had more low end power, could accelerate faster, better gas mileage, and I could pass and keep up with traffic.

Yeah It dose suck bad now. Thanks for all the help I'll be looking at getting 5.13s

I just replaced my 31 ×10.5 with 33 ×12.5. I have a 2.5 inch lift. Regearing is a must for me. I contacted jeep and discovered I have 3.07 gears in my 00 TJ 4.0 manual. I'm surprised it spun my 31's, but I can definitely feel the difference on the highway and going up a hill/bridge. I'm looking at 4.56 gears with limited slip in both the front dana 30 and the rear Dana 35 since I have to replace the carrier as well. Though about 4.88 but that may be a bit too much.
As far as the look I like the 33's no rubs but a huge negative offset on my AR Baja rims.
1795.jpeg
20170518_192315.jpg

I just replaced my 31 ×10.5 with 33 ×12.5. I have a 2.5 inch lift. Regearing is a must for me. I contacted jeep and discovered I have 3.07 gears in my 00 TJ 4.0 manual. I'm surprised it spun my 31's, but I can definitely feel the difference on the highway and going up a hill/bridge. I'm looking at 4.56 gears with limited slip in both the front dana 30 and the rear Dana 35 since I have to replace the carrier as well. Though about 4.88 but that may be a bit too much.
As far as the look I like the 33's no rubs but a huge negative offset on my AR Baja rims. View attachment 17182 View attachment 17183

4.56 will put you at 2750 rpm at 70 mph.

4.88 will put you at 2925 rpm at 70 mph.

I know a bunch of people with 4.56, they all love it. I know a few with 4.88, they all love it as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

4.56 will put you at 2750 rpm at 70 mph.

4.88 will put you at 2925 rpm at 70 mph.

I know a bunch of people with 4.56, they all love it. I know a few with 4.88, they all love it as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Thanks I think the target of 2750 @ 70 mph is what I'm looking for. Of course running down the interstate @70 mph with MT tires might be a little loud.

Reactions: mikespine