Is 33s on a stock 2006 TJ with 3.73 gears asking for trouble?

That's a 5-speed. You sure it's not an '04 or earlier? All 05's came with 6-speeds.
After checking the vin number again I see a manufacturer date 12 04.. however all the paperwork the title, build sheet, all comes back to a 05.. so now I am really confused..lol it does not have the chipped key either..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ok, here's the best argument that I can come up with for proper, meaning low enough, gearing. This is for my 2.5 manual SE and may not apply to other rigs.

Going on steep, tight trails I have to go into low range to be able to dodge the trees and rocks and still have the power to pull the slope. Walking speed up a steep hill, in other words. There just isn't enough torque at a low enough rpm to do it in 2x or 4hi. That's with 31" tires. I don't need 4x for traction, but I need 4lo for the gearing. The SE will happily tool around in 2nd or 3rd all day long. No issues. But I need the gears for the more technical stuff.

Make sense?
This is exactly correct in my experience.

For the wheelin I'm doing I think I need 35's. Problem is I started building for 33's (2.5SL/1.25BL). Any suggestions for clearing 35's with that setup? All I could think of were flares. And what regear for the 6-speed and 4.0? Right now I'm at 3.73

Reactions: StG58
After checking the vin number again I see a manufacturer date 12 04.. however all the paperwork the title, build sheet, all comes back to a 05.. so now I am really confused..lol it does not have the chipped key either..

Take a pic of the shift knob. Maybe someone changed it and you really do have a 6 spd?

Reactions: Brantley
This is exactly correct in my experience.

For the wheelin I'm doing I think I need 35's. Problem is I started building for 33's (2.5SL/1.25BL). Any suggestions for clearing 35's with that setup? All I could think of were flares. And what regear for the 6-speed and 4.0? Right now I'm at 3.73

Well with the 6-speed having 4.88 with 35's would be the same as having 5.13 with the 5-speed and having 4.56 would be the equivalent of having 4.88 with the 5-speed (speaking from a highway 6th gear standpoint). I'd personally take the 4.88 route. You'd be doing about roughly 2900rpm at 70 and 3100rpm at 75.

As for the lift problem, I can't really help ya there. There's not much you can do other than bump stopping and cutting, or replacing parts you bought with higher lift parts.

Reactions: JMT

Well seeing as how they would have started mfg. of '05s in the second half of 2004, the date of 12 04 sounds right. If indeed you have a 5-speed in an 05 TJ, you have a rare Jeep for sure.

Well seeing as how they would have started mfg. of '05s in the second half of 2004, the date of 12 04 sounds right. If indeed you have a 5-speed in an 05 TJ, you have a rare Jeep for sure.
I hope it's not so rare that buying parts is going to be a problem.

Well after looking at all the comments paper work vin number, I found a build sheet and after reading that ALL the way through my 05 TJ is a 6 speed. Of course I did not believe all of that i went to the Jeep itself. Been driving this thing around for almost a year, and I'll be dang.. there is a 6th gear.. !!
On the highway in 5th gear and I thought it went to low enough rpm's and had no guts. Well found out 6th is worthless..lol.. SO MANY THANKS TO LAST FEW THAT HAS HELPED ME! You can now tell me "I told you so".. with all that said now would it be better to go with 4.88 gears and 35 inch tires.
I now have 33's and the dreaded 3.07 gears

3.07 and 33's, brutal. So we were all wrong, for all intents and purposes you have a 4 spd :D Seriously, I wouldn't even think 35's until you gear lower.

Reactions: StG58
3.07 and 33's, brutal. So we were all wrong, for all intents and purposes you have a 4 spd :D Seriously, I wouldn't even think 35's until you gear lower.
Not looking at 35's now but future..now for another hot topic I am sure. What brand of gears..?

They are all good. Some work better for certain purposes, eg. towing, racing, etc. Any of the name brands will do the job. Allen at @AOR has great prices on Revolution gear sets when you're ready. My Revo gears were a breeze to set up.

Reactions: JMT and StG58
They are all good. Some work better for certain purposes, eg. towing, racing, etc. Any of the name brands will do the job. Allen at @AOR has great prices on Revolution gear sets when you're ready. My Revo gears were a breeze to set up.
May I have some more information on Allen @ aor?

So this is a bit off topic of gears but:

A few of you mentioned back in the early pages turning off the OD in the autos and letting the RPMs climb for various speeds/activities.

I'll be damned if my MPG hasn't had a dramatic increase after turning OD off while driving around at speeds up to 50-55. Above 60 and I flip it on but below I keep it off. I've done 100 miles since I last filled up and usually I'd be below half a tank, almost 1/4 (I get deplorable gas mileage in the city) but I'm still above half a tank right now.

So this is a bit off topic of gears but:

A few of you mentioned back in the early pages turning off the OD in the autos and letting the RPMs climb for various speeds/activities.

I'll be damned if my MPG hasn't had a dramatic increase after turning OD off while driving around at speeds up to 50-55. Above 60 and I flip it on but below I keep it off. I've done 100 miles since I last filled up and usually I'd be below half a tank, almost 1/4 (I get deplorable gas mileage in the city) but I'm still above half a tank right now.

All of that stuff about more rpm doesn't necessarily = more fuel isn't stuff we were pulling out of our asses.:)