Is 33s on a stock 2006 TJ with 3.73 gears asking for trouble?

I never thought of it that way :p I just assumed that when the Jeep would drop into its OD gear that was the prime RPM as designed by the manufacturer. Never knew it was far from it due to them re-gearing for better EPA figures.

I'll be damned if my MPG hasn't had a dramatic increase after turning OD off while driving around at speeds up to 50-55.
yep, pushing on the gas pedal in the wrong gear will suck gas like crazy with zero acceleration. Best way to avoid that, take yer shoes off and you will feel the pressure and down either lift off or down shift.

For 33's, I'd go no less than 4.88 though I personally would go 5.13. For 35's, no less than 5.13 though I'd go 5.38. My 4.88 gearing with my 35's absolutely sucks on the street and highway with the automatic but that's what it came with after my previous TJ was stolen.
First post and a Jeep noob (but learning fast)! Great info in this thread (just read the whole thing--thanks all) but looking for clarification: 2000 manual 4.0 w/3.07 gears currently, looking to upgrade to 33s when my DuraTrac 31s wear out to fill in that 4" (I think) lift. I know the above is a recommendation for an AT. For a 5-speed manual I'm gathering that a one-step higher ratio is a better? 4.56 for hwy-centric driving, 4.88 for offroad-centric? Am I close? Looking for balance--eg: road trip from OR to Moab, roadin,' then back again. Might try 35s later on or as a second set..

Thanks in advance!

First post and a Jeep noob (but learning fast)! Great info in this thread (just read the whole thing--thanks all) but looking for clarification: 2000 manual 4.0 w/3.07 gears currently, looking to upgrade to 33s when my DuraTrac 31s wear out to fill in that 4" (I think) lift. I know the above is a recommendation for an AT. For a 5-speed manual I'm gathering that a one-step higher ratio is a better? 4.56 for hwy-centric driving, 4.88 for offroad-centric? Am I close? Looking for balance--eg: road trip from OR to Moab, roadin,' then back again. Might try 35s later on or as a second set..

Thanks in advance!
pretty much on the money. if you are going to 35s later, go 4.88s now. I take it this is not a daily driver?

The taller the tire, the smaller the motor, the less the ability to compromise. With 33s, there are a range of possibilities with the 4.0L. With 35s, 37s, or with the SEs 4 cylinder that range of compromise gets real narrow.

Go here.
http://www.grimmjeeper.com
You decide what rpm works for you. City, Highway, Interstate, ... off road. You will get some very divisive opinions but the grimmjeeper calculator never lies. 3000rpm is where the 4.0L makes power. 2000rpm is where it makes mpg. The lighter the tire and smaller the tire diameter, the less critical rpm is. 33s are pretty conducive to a broad rpm range, gear ratio range. That range really gets narrow with 37s. With 40s, there is no range. You will need 3000rpm just to start moving.

Last edited:
Reactions: RitualHabitual
Not a daily driver, but it's hard to resist---waaaay more fun than my Avalon, but I'm all over town every day so mileage matters, plus my TJ sprays h2o and road gunk everywhere when it's wet here, which is often Nov-April.

The gear ratio calculator on grimmjeeper.com shows 74mph on 33s @2500rpm for 4.56, 89mph @3000rpm. For 4.88 it shows 69mph and 83mph respectively. If that's accurate it seems either ratio would be functional. Any idea at what rpm fuel efficiency begins to suffer? 3000+? I got the impression from the thread that the sweet spot is ~2400-2900rpm in a 4.0L?

In case anyone is curious, 4.88 on 35s shows 73 & 88mph for 2500 & 3000rpms respectively. I might just go with 4.88 for flexibility. Doubt I'll be traveling in the 90mph range much. That's so close to 33s at 4.56 it makes me wonder if I should just jump to 35s even though I'd lose a little giddyup, but are 35s unruly on the fwy (I'm on 15x8s)? And I think I'm understanding 35s would result in a dip in mpg compared to 33s at the same ratio.. Lol forgive me, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around all this. So many variables..

Thanks for your reply--really helpful. Website too--nicely done.

Last edited:
My daily driven 5 speed with 33s is geared to 4.88. I like it quite a bit. 14-15mpg is't uncommon. 16-17mpg highway is doable.
Thanks jjvw. That's likely where I'll end up. Versatility is key for me and I get the impression 33s and 4.88 gearing are a bit of a sweet spot in that regard, though 4.56 pulls at me from a mileage perspective. If anyone has experience with that configuration (4.56 on 33s, or even 4.56 on 35s) I'd love to hear about it. It'll be interesting to see where the change takes me with regard to acceleration because even at 3.07 on 31s it doesn't feel underpowered to me--this Jeep wants to go. I suppose 4.0L + smaller tires explains that, as billybob suggested. I'm definitely going to have to get used to shifting at higher rpms per recommendations on this thread because my ears tell me to shift at 2000-2200. Hard habit to break! More power and potentially better mpg is plenty good motivation though.

Last edited:
Reactions: jazngab
Mileage vs Power, the huge question. My TJR is a daily driver. With 4.10s and 33s I have no problem with power, and if I stay under 60mph I can almost hit 20mpg.... with a very light foot. I'll never go bigger than 33s. I'll never do any extreme off roading. Most everywhere I go any good 4x4 could follow. But I wish I had 3.73s because I know I could get better gas mileage. And I have no trouble shifting to stay over 3Krpm when I need power.

My '05 LJR 6 spd came with 4.10s & 33s. I felt it was way underpowered on the highway and knew it would be worrse in the elevation of New Mexico where we were moving at the time. I re-geared to 4.56 and I've been very happy with the current setup.

If I did not have the 4:1 TC, I might have gone to 4.88s for better 4 low gearing but that would have been too low with the 4:1 TC for the way I use my Jeep.

Thanks jjvw. That's likely where I'll end up. Versatility is key for me and I get the impression 33s and 4.88 gearing are a bit of a sweet spot, though 4.56 pulls at me from a mileage perspective. If anyone has experience with that configuration (4.56 on 33s, or even 4.56 on 35s) I'd love to hear about it. It'll be interesting to see where the change takes me with regard to acceleration because even at 3.07 on 31s it doesn't feel underpowered to me--this Jeep wants to go. I suppose 4.0L + smaller tires explains that, as billybob suggested. I'm definitely going to have to get used to shifting at higher rpms per recommendations on this thread because my ears tell me to downshift at 2000-2200. Hard habit to break! More power and potentially better mpg is plenty good motivation though.
456, 33’s, 6Speed. I’m naturally a little lower geared than the 5Speed. I love, love, love these gears. I think you’ll love 488

Thanks jjvw. That's likely where I'll end up. Versatility is key for me and I get the impression 33s and 4.88 gearing are a bit of a sweet spot, though 4.56 pulls at me from a mileage perspective. If anyone has experience with that configuration (4.56 on 33s, or even 4.56 on 35s) I'd love to hear about it. It'll be interesting to see where the change takes me with regard to acceleration because even at 3.07 on 31s it doesn't feel underpowered to me--this Jeep wants to go. I suppose 4.0L + smaller tires explains that, as billybob suggested. I'm definitely going to have to get used to shifting at higher rpms per recommendations on this thread because my ears tell me to downshift at 2000-2200. Hard habit to break! More power and potentially better mpg is plenty good motivation though.
4.56 on 31s here with 5spd. Same as you, my ears tell me to shift around 2k-2200. Got used to shifting 2500-3000. I’m glad I went deeper gears last minute as I almost went with the more common 4.10 for 31s. I haven’t calculated mpg yet but I feel it did get worse than when I had 3.07. Gas gauge def moves quicker towards empty haha but I admit I do drive it with a heavy foot post regear. Plan is to go 32s most likely next set of tires in a few years

Last edited:
33 is a good TJ tire size, but 31 can get the job done. Some folks stay low on gears and make it work.

I’ve enjoyed my 33 s with 4:56 and 5 speed combo a lot. Contends with traffic better.

In the end, the gas mileage differences are negligible, but the smiles per mile are worth it 10 times over.

Who here bought a TJ for mpg?

My sense is that with lower gears is that the highway will decrease a bit and the city will increase. The peaks and valleys will smooth out. The overall average will at least be about the same if not a little higher.

My sense is that with lower gears is that the highway will decrease a bit and the city will increase. The peaks and valleys will smooth out. The overall average will at least be about the same if not a little higher.
Good thought--might be the clincher for me, especially since I'll be around town a lot more than I'm on the freeway (on the weekends, mostly). I'll have some time to think about it while I wear out these 31s and adjust my driving style. In the meantime new shocks because these are stiff as a brick. Feels like I'm driving the old International Harvester pickup I rocked as a teenager with an empty bed. Really appreciate all the feedback.

Last edited:
My experience, 2 TJs, 2 YJs, 4 other Jeeps, in a 4.0L TJ, 2K rpm delivers fuel economy, 3K rpm is where power starts. The smaller the engine or bigger the tire, the narrower that window between economy and power gets. Or the bigger the engine the bigger the spread can be.

An old CJ with a 304, 3speed, 2.72 rear end will cruise effortlessly at 1600rpm on the highway even with 33s. But an SE with 33s needs 3000rpm just to hold 60mph. It is all about compromise.