33x12.50 on 15x8 vs 15x10

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys!

My brain has frozen please help!

A friend of mine runs 33x12.50 tires on 15x10 rims. 3.75 BS.

In order to buy some 15x8 rims and keep the same stance + to not have interference of any kind he needs to buy 3.75 BS as well? Am I right?

How would 33x12.50 compare between 15x8 vs 15x10 (Both 3.75 BS)

Would the tire stick out of the fenders the same amount? Plus would the tire retain the same distance from the suspension?

If you go off-road and air your tires down when offroad, stay with 15x8 wheels. Aired down tires are able to stay seated on 15x8 wheels far more easily than they can on 15x10 wheels. And yes your buddy needs to stay with 3.75" to 4" of backspacing to keep the tires far enough away from the suspension.

If both rims are 3.75" BS and one is 15x8, one 15x10, the 10 will stick out 2" further. Personally I hate the 10" look and would go 15x8 for either street looks or being functional offroad. I'd stick to 8's for most everything and go down to 7's even if going with a 10.5-11.5" wide tire.

15x8 and 15x10 rims would keep the same clearance from the suspension. When a tire is mounted, 15x10 might have a teeny tiny bit more clearance as the sidewall of the tire is less ballooned. That is certainly no reason to choose a 15x10 though.

Reactions: TJim and L J
If you go off-road and air your tires down when offroad, stay with 15x8 wheels. Aired down tires are able to stay seated on 15x8 wheels far more easily than they can on 15x10 wheels. And yes your buddy needs to stay with 3.75" to 4" of backspacing to keep the tires far enough away from the suspension.
Ι would choose 15x8 every time! Thanks

If both rims are 3.75" BS and one is 15x8, one 15x10, the 10 will stick out 2" further. Personally I hate the 10" look and would go 15x8 for either street looks or being functional offroad. I'd stick to 8's for most everything and go down to 7's even if going with a 10.5-11.5" wide tire.

15x8 and 15x10 rims would keep the same clearance from the suspension. When a tire is mounted, 15x10 might have a teeny tiny bit more clearance as the sidewall of the tire is less ballooned. That is certainly no reason to choose a 15x10 though.
The only thing I don't understand 100% is the following. The tire will stick out 2" further or not? Or only the rim? Sorry I am blacked out

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Ι would choose 15x8 every time! Thanks

The only thing I don't understand 100% is the following. The tire will stick out 2" further or not? Or only the rim? Sorry I am blacked out
Well the rim will…..and the tire seats against the rim which means the whole tire/rim combo sticks out 2” more.

Well the rim will…..and the tire seats against the rim which means the whole tire/rim combo sticks out 2” more.
So that means that in the 15x8 option the tire would be 2" closer to the suspension? Since in both cases the tire is 12.5".

Or that would be less wide when inflated at the same PSI?

So that means that in the 15x8 option the tire would be 2" closer to the suspension? Since in both cases the tire is 12.5".

The tire will balloon more and be less wide overall. The wider rim pulls the tire wider to match the rim chosen.

Reactions: TJim

The backspace will keep the rim the same distance from the frame. The tire will not be any closer. It will stand a little taller than on a 10" rim.

Choose the 15x8.

If both 15x8 and 15x10 have the same backspacing, then the center of the 15x8 is 1" closer to the suspension and so will the tire sidewall, give or take a fraction of an inch.

Put it another way, if the tire is a true 12.5" wide, then on a 15x10 rim there will be 1.25" of tire overhang. That same tire on a 15x8 would have 2.25" of overhang, but since rim width will pull sidewalls in to an extent then the actual overhang would be slightly less on the 15x8, maybe just 2". Clear as mud?

Reactions: JMT
I learn something on here constantly. Thanks Jerry.

No wonder reading 36 of Jerrys posts counts as 8 credits to becoming an ASE Certified Mechanic.

This explains why the Snap On truck driver ask to go in HIS tool room and look around.

Have you guys seen the tool truck where the owner lettered “after the first step its consensual”😝😝😝

I learn something on here constantly. Thanks Jerry.

No wonder reading 36 of Jerrys posts counts as 8 credits to becoming an ASE Certified Mechanic.

This explains why the Snap On truck driver ask to go in HIS tool room and look around.

Have you guys seen the tool truck where the owner lettered “after the first step its consensual”😝😝😝
Yes I have seen that truck! I like the look of a 35 on 15x10 but I also like to air down,your best of both worlds would be a 15x9 race line b/l the only thing holding me back is ,I don’t know if flat towing a jeep on beadlocks across the country is a good idea,maybe someone has done it?

I've run 15x10" wheels on a few of my Jeeps, but I never go below 10 psi. I've also run 7" wide wheels with 35x12.50s. 🤫
Rubi beer (2).jpg

BRAND NEW PIC (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

DARK BLUE JEEP.jpg

Last edited:
Beadlock wheels would have no bearing on that decision, they're legal in all states except for Utah and New Jersey who made all multi-part wheel designs illegal.
Thanks Jerry,I was kinda thinking about it losing air or something and not realizing it behind the r/v,if no problems,I’ll probably get a set

Reactions: Jerry Bransford