35” tires without a body lift

Thatguy

TJ Enthusiast
I bought my 99 TJ last fall. It came with a 4” short arm lift w/33s, also had some flat top fenders in the front.

My question to those that know: Can i throw on a set of 35s without adding an additional BL ??

My concern: Being an upper Midwestern vehicle, it has its share of rusted bolts. ive come across a plethora of them with the things i have replaced or repaired since ive owned it. The frame itself is in good shape, its all there and pretty sound yet. A few of the outer body mounts are there, but starting to deteriorate. My thought is, once i start trying to add a BL, the bolts are going to snap or the existing mounts will crumble. They are there and functioning, but maybe best to leave them alone (for now)

I dont plan on doing any extreme wheeling with the Jeep, main purpose is to explore a few remote trails with my wife and dogs. So not really needing huge amounts of articulation. I mainly want the option of 35s for a little extra clearance. I’ll run the 33s til they i need a new set. I do prefer the stance and look of TJs with 35s.

DAB9EE88-CD1C-4B97-BB8E-EAD9454BD078.jpeg

I currently run 35s and that is all I know because that’s what came on it when I bought it.

So on good roads, it can work. However, if someone offered me to trade my 35s for their 33s, I’d consider it. There’s just a lot of “support” that’s expensive and not much bling.

Reactions: Thatguy
There's way more to think about when going to a 35" tire than clearance. Have your brakes and steering been upgraded? Seems like I've seen a thread on what it takes to go to 35s, but couldn't easily find it. Maybe Chris can point it out!

There's way more to think about when going to a 35" tire than clearance. Have your brakes and steering been upgraded? Seems like I've seen a thread on what it takes to go to 35s, but couldn't easily find it. Maybe Chris can point it out!
Fresh brakes all around, new upgraded steering components

ive read a few of those threads, and for the most part, they are for Jeeps looking to do more off roading than i plan too. Its not going to be a mall cruiser. It will get its bumps and bruises out in the bush

My future upgrades will be a SYE and re-gear and thats about it

Its not going to be a mall cruiser. It will get its bumps and bruises out in the bush
For that reason I'd add a 1-1.25" body lift for 35's. Those flares you added don't really add tire clearance, the steel fenders are still there. A 4" plus 1-1.25" body lift is considered pretty ideal for 35's and is what I run too. :)

Fresh brakes all around, new upgraded steering components

ive read a few of those threads, and for the most part, they are for Jeeps looking to do more off roading than i plan too. Its not going to be a mall cruiser. It will get its bumps and bruises out in the bush

My future upgrades will be a SYE and re-gear and thats about it

You can always limit travel on the suspension with bumpstops and staying connected on the front sway bar. However, you're better off doing the BL, as was stated.

Cycle the axles without springs and set the bumps and it will function, assuming the rest is set up as it ought to be. A small body lift will only make things better.

Reactions: Apparition
Your "flat top" fenders are not adding any benefit.

Cycle the axles without springs and set the bump stops. Assuming the rest is built as it ought to be, the Jeep will function. A small body lift will only make things better.

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Thanks for all the input !!

The 33s that are on there now are pretty fresh, so its going to be awhile before i buy 35s. Gives me time to loosen up them body bolts

My JK has 315s, almost 35s. And sitting side by side, my TJs 33s are pretty damn close to the same height. Thats why pondered adding bigger donuts to my TJ

071AED1E-4BA8-4D3B-8D6C-6151FD73408D.jpeg

just about everything i own has larger tires, a way of life for me i guess.

AE7D9759-4C72-4D21-8862-79B05B83FD94.jpeg

Your "flat top" fenders are not adding any benefit.

Cycle the axles without springs and set the bump stops. Assuming the rest is built as it ought to be, the Jeep will function. A small body lift will only make things better.
I gain a little extra with the flat tops vs stock w/flares, also because the flat fenders are much narrower than a stock fender as well. Its a game of inches.

i am going test the stops and see what kind of articulation i get one of these days - hopefully before gettng out on the trail

I think you could get away with it, just don’t disconnect your sway bar and you probably will never touch a fender. as for gearing though 35’s are a big jump if you didn’t re-gear for the 33’s.

I think you could get away with it, just don’t disconnect your sway bar and you probably will never touch a fender. as for gearing though 35’s are a big jump if you didn’t re-gear for the 33’s.
Regearing will commence before i add the 35s. Its not painfully sluggish with the 33s now, but i see room for improvement. I wouldnt want to drive up mountain highways the way its set up now. The 05 TJ i sold a few yrs back had 33s as well, but also had the right gearing. That thing was a rocket ship in comparison to the 99 i have now

Before or right after you put the 35’s on, it should be regeared.

What are your plans to for pinion angle changes once you have the SYE?
I’ll let you know when i know. I still have much to learn about this TJ. I bought it because my wife refused to let me take the JK off road, so i bought a TJ that would allow me to do that. Then i discovered this site and made me realize i have a lot more work to do if i want to have the fun i thought i could have

Reactions: DEValken
I’ll let you know when i know. I still have much to learn about this TJ. I bought it because my wife refused to let me take the JK off road, so i bought a TJ that would allow me to do that. Then i discovered this site and made me realize i have a lot more work to do if i want to have the fun i thought i could have
It cost money to play. As you are well aware of.