35” tires without a body lift

We both know that at the end of the day the fenders are irrelevant if the rest of the suspension is out of balance. We also both know this guy will never take the time to cycle the axles and set his suspension up to be as good as it can be. He asked the question, but is ignoring what is being said.
No im not ignoring what is being said. We both made different points and both of us are right. I never once denied that the tire would hit the inner fender. My point was that the flat fenders offer more physical space (clearance) around the tire than a stock fender w/flare. Less for it to come in contact with, but yes to the inner fender. You were so adamant about the tire touching the inner fender that you failed to see my point, but yet continued to beat your chest to prove your point.

No im not ignoring what is being said. We both made different points and both of us are right. I never once denied that the tire would hit the inner fender. My point was that the flat fenders offer more physical space (clearance) around the tire than a stock fender w/flare. Less for it to come in contact with, but yes to the inner fender. You were so adamant about the tire touching the inner fender that you failed to see my point, but yet continued to beat your chest to prove your point.

You are confused. All I have ever been talking about is the outer fender and the rear wall. Your's are the same as stock in both areas. Since they are the same as stock, there is no increase in clearance.

When I first started researching fenders I got caught up in market hype and couldn’t get past how much photos make it look like basically any flat fender should increase clearance. The first post in this thread really cleared it up for me https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fender-smack-down-tube-fenders-compared-on-a-real-jeep.16925/

The takeaway for me is yes flat fenders ‘might’ give small amount of height clearance but this isn’t true or usable clearance as it is only realized with the tire pointed directly ahead. I can’t recall any driving, on or off road, mild or hardcore, that didn’t require me to turn the steering wheel.

I see flat fenders (non highline) similar to hood vents. Do they offer performance gains, probably not. But I can’t think they cause any issues so if you like the looks go for it.

Back to original thread topic, I was also of the NO BL mindset before a lot of reading here and other forums. Now that it is installed I’m amazed how much it offers for such a simple low cost mod.

Reactions: Thatguy
Nice rims...what are they?
Pro Comp

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/pro-comp-31-series-stryker-matte-black-alloy-wheels/9296
They don't look quite as nice as they did back then :):)

imagesCA0R1O50_zps5a98ca36.JPG

IMG_4624.jpg

You mean I spent all this Money for nothing :) I went with flat fenders just because I like the looks. :) I do think I have gained some clearance up front, as I am not running into obstacles as the front fenders curve in and don't come down in the front the way stock fenders do. Now let's don't get our panties in a bunch just my opinion :)

cor4_zps9c32671c.JPG

IMG_0937_zps941ab16c.JPG

IMG_5492.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

jeep4_zpsc4d2e8a2.JPG

701041d1379939619-just-got-04-rubicon-image-389448641_zps4d219c98.JPG

43_zps8c3ec205.jpg

Last edited:
You mean I spent all this Money for nothing :) I went with flat fenders just because I like the looks. :) I do think I have gained some clearance up front, as I am not running into obstacles as the front fenders curve in and don't come down in the front the way stock fenders do. Now let's don't get our panties in a bunch just my opinion :)

Your suspension did not change as a result of the fenders. Don't confuse the guy.

You are confused. All I have ever been talking about is the outer fender and the rear wall. Your's are the same as stock in both areas. Since they are the same as stock, there is no increase in clearance.
DUDE !!! Again let it go and move on

I am not deny the fact that the fenders are the same height. Or that the tire can come in contact with the inner portion of the fender. Im simply stating that there is less material For the tire to come in contact with a flatfender setup. Think externally instead of internally = that was my point all along. At Full flex the tire is shoved up into the wheel well (especially a 35”) Now turn that tire to full lock left or right, tire was already stuffed in the wheel well, now its going to come in contact with the outside edge of the fender/flare. At that point I am envisioning lugs grabbing shit and making some extra body mods for you. Hence the reason to go with a flatfender setup, that allows for more tire movement (externally) and provides a stouter platform to hopefully prevent some damage of that nature.

My TJ will never be a rock crawler per se. So cycling my axles is not high on the priority of things i need to do. It functions fine for where i need to go, the fresh brakes stop, and the beefier steering turns. All i wanted to know was if i could run 35s with my current setup without a BL. Again, i have read several threads on the proper procedures of running 35s for off road applications. That wont be my intended use, so i am trying to skip some of the steps that are deemed necessary for off roaders.

Now stop beating your chest and waving your arms trying to prove your point over and over, when you have clearly ran off on a different tangent from the point i was initially trying to make. Savvy !!

• Haha
Reactions: jjvw

View attachment 149518

View attachment 149519

View attachment 149520

View attachment 149521

View attachment 149522

View attachment 149523

View attachment 149524
I dig the transformation, looks great

you are arguing the question you presented, so why was it even asked? if you've already decided the fender gives you more room why are you asking advice about more room? if you are comfortable knowing your tire can get into the fender then why did you ask?
your gonna be advised to make it function clean. if you don't need this then why ask?

Reactions: L J and jjvw
I gain a little extra with the flat tops vs stock w/flares, also because the flat fenders are much narrower than a stock fender as well. Its a game of inches.
those fenders are not narrower than stock, the hard surface is actually wider off the hood. the absence of the hanging plastic flare gives it the illusion of being higher, the deck surface never moved.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
DUDE !!! Again let it go and move on

Dude you need to let it go & move on, you’re not living in a universe where you can ever be right about this (or anything else) :LOL:, but I get what you’re saying. First time I went off road I had no bump stops (truth is I never heard the term much less knew what they were) & learned the hard way why I needed them, got my tire up into the wheel well but that wasn’t the problem, the tire grabbed my lower hanging fruit flare and pulled it outwards laterally & as a result it pulled the 90 degree angle of my outer fender straight out. Had the flare not been there I can’t say for sure no harm would’ve occurred anyway, but I could hear that distinctive tire on flare sound as it pulled and there was no evidence of tire on sheet metal, it pulled it out away from center and all the flare bolts were all exposed by about an inch & the plastic was stressed so it was obvious what had occurred. Given that, it was also obvious that in the absence of those flares there’s a good chance no damage would’ve occurred, at least in that instance, but if not then another time for sure as I was sitting on a time-bomb I just didn’t know it. Given all that I agree with your point, you’ve reduced the opportunity for damage occurring in a certain way, but you haven’t eliminated it.

Dude you need to let it go & move on, you’re not living in a universe where you can ever be right about this (or anything else) :LOL:, but I get what you’re saying. First time I went off road I had no bump stops (truth is I never heard the term much less knew what they were) & learned the hard way why I needed them, got my tire up into the wheel well but that wasn’t the problem, the tire grabbed my lower hanging fruit flare and pulled it outwards laterally & as a result it pulled the 90 degree angle of my outer fender straight out. Had the flare not been there I can’t say for sure no harm would’ve occurred anyway, but I could hear that distinctive tire on flare sound as it pulled and there was no evidence of tire on sheet metal, it pulled it out away from center and all the flare bolts were all exposed by about an inch & the plastic was stressed so it was obvious what had occurred. Given that, it was also obvious that in the absence of those flares there’s a good chance no damage would’ve occurred, at least in that instance, but if not then another time for sure as I was sitting on a time-bomb I just didn’t know it. Given all that I agree with your point, you’ve reduced the opportunity for damage occurring in a certain way, but you haven’t eliminated it.
Yes, thats the only point i was aiming at.

If i am wrong, then why are so many people running flatfenders vs stock fenders ??

because your eyes trick you into seeing what they claim (the 3" of plastic is gone), but until the hard deck is moved up, it's not. a lot of the 35" wheels interference can come from the rear wall of the wheel well also. if you did not alter the fender to body mount that never moved either. can you run 35's as is sure........can you run them clean, needs to be tested or can be ignored until it becomes an issue.

because your eyes trick you into seeing what they claim (the 3" of plastic is gone), but until the hard deck is moved up, it's not. a lot of the 35" wheels interference can come from the rear wall of the wheel well also. if you did not alter the fender to body mount that never moved either. can you run 35's as is sure........can you run them clean, needs to be tested or can be ignored until it becomes an issue.
The thing is all of that can be controlled with bumpstops.

It becomes the you pick two of clearance, looks and up travel.

It’s not wrong, it’s just different priorities and more than likely an early stage of an ongoing build.

The thing is all of that can be controlled with bumpstops.

yes it can.
but the question went from do i need.
to i did this and don't think i need.
to i'm never gonna do that, so why do i need.
so i'm plexed about this whole thread. he decided upon the answer despite the advice he asked for.

yes it can.
but the question went from do i need.
to i did this and don't think i need.
to i'm never gonna do that, so why do i need.
so i'm plexed about this whole thread. he decided upon the answer despite the advice he asked for.
I think the question changed when people started telling him he was wrong.

The question has always been, is a body lift needed for 35’s. The answer is that depending on build and usage it may not be required.

For this poster it seems a BL is not required.