35 or 33 inch tires on my Jeep Wrangler SE 4 cylinders ?

Alan12

Hey Everyone, I have some question. I have a TJ SE Wrangler 2005, 4 cylinders. Should I use 35 inch tires on it ?

If your commute is always downhill...

What transmission do you have, and do you plan on regearing? Most seem to complain with just 31's with the 4 bangers.

If your commute is always downhill...

What transmission do you have, and do you plan on regearing? Most seem to complain with just 31's with the 4 bangers.
If you just want BIG Tires to ride on with 2.5L, Max you can go 32X11.5X15 on stock TJ without lift. My Jeep has Mickey Thompson Baja and there great for my Stock 2.5L

Last edited:
33’s max. And you’ll still need to regear. The engine just can’t turn those big chunks of meat. Welcome to the forum. Post up some pics of your rig!

Reactions: StG58
If you just want BIG Tires to ride on with 2.5L, Max you can go 32X11.5X15 on stock TJ without lift. My Jeep has Mickey Thompson Baja and there great for my Stock 2.5L
I’ll get a 4 inch lift kit ... but i don’t know yet if I should use 35 or 33 ...

No to 35", 33" is the max size for your rear Dana 35 axle. A 35" tire on a Dana 35 will, sooner or later, snap one of its rear axle shafts.

This is a good friend of mine, I was close enough to hear her axle shaft snap several months ago. I didn't know until it happened that she was running a Dana 35 or I would have warned her about the 35" tires she was running at the time.

Marianne640x480.jpg

Not to mention you'd definitely have to regear your axles to run that big of a tire (it'd be a good idea to do that with even 33's) plus a steering upgrade and better brakes would be a good idea too.

Here's a webpage with lots of photos devoted to nothing but broken Dana 35 axle shafts when the owner put too big of a tire on the axle, installed a locker, or just abused it. http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

Last edited:
SE's like gears. Lots of gears. Unless you swap into Dana 44's the deepest you can go is 5.13 in your Dana 35/30 axles. The biggest tire the four angry squirrels are happy to turn with 5.13 gears is a 33. To keep you and your SE happy, stay with nothing larger than a 33.

In reality, you shouldn't use anything larger than about a 31 on stock gearing. If you are willing to spend the money to re-gear, stay with 33's. If you aren't, stay on 31's.

For offroading, I always recommend a 1" or 1.25" body lift be added to a 4" lift for 35's.

X2 to this. Looking at my TJ with 35s and a 4" lift, it still wasn't enough. After I added the 1.25" body lift, that's when I knew I had the right amount of lift for 35s.