35" tires on Super 44s?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
In contemplating going to 35" tires. I've got an 06 Rubicon with Revolution gears, factory lockers, RCV front axles and Revolution chromoly rear axles.

I guess that counts as Super 44s, right?

Anyways, would I be safe to run 35" tires and wheeling it as well? I don't want to do it if it's too risky because I DO intend on wheeling it.

I'm smart with the throttle though if that counts for anything.

A stock Dana 44 is a common axle for 35's. While I've never run Chromo shafts (yet), I'm sure with the number of people running 35's on stock Dana 44's, you'll be able to give it some hell and still be ok.

That is my thought, I mean with the way it's currently set up I would think the weakest part of the axle at this point is the actual axle housing / tubes itself.

I don't do any major rock crawling, mostly just mud, sand, dirt, and smaller rocks.

Most consider a Super 44 upgrade to require 33 spline shafts. 30 spline shafts are fine for what you and I do.

Ahhhh, I didn't know that 33 splines were part of Super 44s. I thought that was just axles and gears.

Anyhow, one day I'll probably go to 35" but for now I've got a lot of life left on these 33" tires.

I've run 35s on my high-pinion Dana 30 and Dana 44 combo for about 5 years. The Dana 30 is trussed and has c-joint gussets but I run stock shafts. I lock fairly often since the majority of the trails I run are rocks. In that time, I've only had one break, and that was the passenger side u-joint on a pretty aggressive trail (Holy Cross south of Vail, CO).

You would have zero difficulty in running 35s with your axle setup. As I'm sure you're aware, you'll also want to consider steering and brakes when contemplating 35s.

Reactions: Chris
I'm running the Currie Currectlync steering and the 16" Vanco big brake kit so I'm good in that department. The more I research it the more I feel extremely confident I'll be just fine on 35" tires. Of course this won't be for a few years as I have brand new 33" tires at the moment!

Reactions: JFjeld
The factory lockers, both front and rear will not stand up to a beating on 35" tires. I have a very large collection of rubi lockers/parts that i have personally destroyed. Contrary to popular belief, the front is the weaker link of the two imo. Ive run both, fronts, front and rear and rears, front and rear.
They will live a long life if you're not aggressive.
Ive also got a large scrap collection of stock 30 spline shafts from 35" tires that were run on allied 32 bolt bead locks.

Attachment.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Good to hear! Everyone always says the rear is weaker.

If I ever do go to 35" tires I'll get some Eaton e-lockers first, along with upgrading the spline count in my 44 axles.