35's or Turbo (or) Supercharger?

NKlekas

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Alright, I need some input. Every spring I get a nice chunk of change from coaching High School Basketball. I usually use it as the one time a year I add a significant upgrade to my Jeep. I'm at a crossroads to what I want to do come March...This forum is my favorite place to discuss my decision in question :ROFLMAO:

Option 1: Finally go all in on 35's. As in, completely finish the required items to run 35s properly. I already have adjustable control arms and track bars and the proper gears. I'm going to get Chromolys for Christmas (Dana 30 upfront) so I already have quite a few "Must-haves" for 35's. However, I still would need...The tires themselves (duh), a Big Break Kit, either a reinforced Tire Carrier or bumper w/ a swing-out tire carrier, and a High Line Fenders. I have a 3.5-inch lift right now and would rather do a Highline kit than add more of a lift. So either Metal Cloak Fenders or Genright. I've always wanted to run 35's and definitely will one day but...

Option 2: I do tons of driving with my LJ, especially on the Interstate and Highway and I would love some more power. Headwinds and high grades make driving in the summer with camping gear rough. Not to mention, my good ol State of Nevada has a shit ton of grades and pretty much everywhere I go is over 5k in elevation. I know the 4.0's are fairly easy to Supercharge or ad a Turbo to and one of my best friends has Supercharged and Turboed multiple 4Runners and said he would help me with the installation for free. So... I could get a pretty nice Turbo or Supercharger since I'm not paying an install fee. (If you wanna chime in on what you'd rather do, Supercharger or Turbo, that would be appreciated as well.)

I think Option 2 is more practical given how I use my jeep but I would like the 35's for both the off-road capabilities and the aesthetic reasons. I won't do as much camping this summer due to my wife being pregnant and I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks. I figured it would be a good summer to do more technical trails on the weekend rather than go on camping trips. I also don't know much about Supercharger and Turbos and how much of a difference they would make. I've read every thread on here about them and they have convinced me to seriously consider it.

Anyway, anything helps!

Reactions: Austin O.
200.gif

Alright, I need some input. Every spring I get a nice chunk of change from coaching High School Basketball. I usually use it as the one time a year I add a significant upgrade to my Jeep. I'm at a crossroads to what I want to do come March...This forum is my favorite place to discuss my decision in question :ROFLMAO:

Option 1: Finally go all in on 35's. As in, completely finish the required items to run 35s properly. I already have adjustable control arms and track bars and the proper gears. I'm going to get Chromolys for Christmas (Dana 30 upfront) so I already have quite a few "Must-haves" for 35's. However, I still would need...The tires themselves (duh), a Big Break Kit, either a reinforced Tire Carrier or bumper w/ a swing-out tire carrier, and a High Line Fenders. I have a 3.5-inch lift right now and would rather do a Highline kit than add more of a lift. So either Metal Cloak Fenders or Genright. I've always wanted to run 35's and definitely will one day but...

Option 2: I do tons of driving with my LJ, especially on the Interstate and Highway and I would love some more power. Headwinds and high grades make driving in the summer with camping gear rough. Not to mention, my good ol State of Nevada has a shit ton of grades and pretty much everywhere I go is over 5k in elevation. I know the 4.0's are fairly easy to Supercharge or ad a Turbo to and one of my best friends has Supercharged and Turboed multiple 4Runners and said he would help me with the installation for free. So... I could get a pretty nice Turbo or Supercharger since I'm not paying an install fee. (If you wanna chime in on what you'd rather do, Supercharger or Turbo, that would be appreciated as well.)

I think Option 2 is more practical given how I use my jeep but I would like the 35's for both the off-road capabilities and the aesthetic reasons. I won't do as much camping this summer due to my wife being pregnant and I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks. I figured it would be a good summer to do more technical trails on the weekend rather than go on camping trips. I also don't know much about Supercharger and Turbos and how much of a difference they would make. I've read every thread on here about them and they have convinced me to seriously consider it.

Anyway, anything helps!

Option 1

Reactions: NKlekas

I was originally going that route until I started doing some digging and realized how relatively easy it is to bolt on a supercharger. And id get it installed for free, well minus a case of beer and lunch it would be free. lol.

Reactions: 97TJNM
If you get the 35s, you will probably really want the turbo, especially in the mountains. But if you get the turbo, you’ll still want better brakes and those gears might seem a little deep so you’ll need to get 35s… so what @LJ said.

If you get the 35s, you will probably really want the turbo, especially in the mountains. But if you get the turbo, you’ll still want better brakes and those gears might seem a little deep so you’ll need to get 35s… so what @LJ said.
No turbo is needed just because he's going with 35's, his choice of 5.13 will give him more than good/ample power.

I was originally going that route until I started doing some digging and realized how relatively easy it is to bolt on a supercharger. And id get it installed for free, well minus a case of beer and lunch it would be free. lol.

I would really research the supercharger choice. Seems to be a lot of trouble with them as far as tuning.

I would really research the supercharger choice. Seems to be a lot of trouble with them as far as tuning.
I've been relentlessly researching since I went down the rabbit hole. I've talked to mu buddy who has done a lot of superchargers as well. I definitely want to do it right.

What about the engine management and tuning? Easily starting at a $1,000 for that. Bolting on the physical parts is easy, if you can find a kit, which I think are limited for our old TJs. Otherwise, you're looking at custom fab work. With a supercharger, you'll have to decide roots or centrifugal. A turbo will have similar struggles.

What about the engine management and tuning? Easily starting at a $1,000 for that. Bolting on the physical parts is easy, if you can find a kit, which I think are limited for our old TJs. Otherwise, you're looking at custom fab work. With a supercharger, you'll have to decide roots or centrifugal. A turbo will have similar struggles.

I didn’t include that in the cost part but you’re 100% right. I meant just the install of kit itself. But yea I’ll be paying for the tuning and management for sure.