35's or Turbo (or) Supercharger?

What about the engine management and tuning? Easily starting at a $1,000 for that. Bolting on the physical parts is easy, if you can find a kit, which I think are limited for our old TJs. Otherwise, you're looking at custom fab work. With a supercharger, you'll have to decide roots or centrifugal. A turbo will have similar struggles.

@Jezza ’s kit looks interesting. I think he said he’d rec Flyin Ryan for the tune. So, roughly $6K? Surely, some folks here will try this out. I’m anxious for the reports and I’d love to do it as well.

Reactions: NKlekas
@Jezza ’s kit looks interesting. I think he said he’d rec Flyin Ryan for the tune. So, roughly $6K? Surely, some folks here will try this out. I’m anxious for the reports and I’d love to do it as well.

I kept up with his development. Hopefully someone gives it a shot. With his kit being ~$5,000 minus engine management and tuning, I'd expect someone to have somewhere around $7,000 in it by the time it's done, minus any cost to install.

Last edited:
Reactions: NKlekas and Woodrow
Alright, I need some input. Every spring I get a nice chunk of change from coaching High School Basketball. I usually use it as the one time a year I add a significant upgrade to my Jeep. I'm at a crossroads to what I want to do come March...This forum is my favorite place to discuss my decision in question :ROFLMAO:

Option 1: Finally go all in on 35's. As in, completely finish the required items to run 35s properly. I already have adjustable control arms and track bars and the proper gears. I'm going to get Chromolys for Christmas (Dana 30 upfront) so I already have quite a few "Must-haves" for 35's. However, I still would need...The tires themselves (duh), a Big Break Kit, either a reinforced Tire Carrier or bumper w/ a swing-out tire carrier, and a High Line Fenders. I have a 3.5-inch lift right now and would rather do a Highline kit than add more of a lift. So either Metal Cloak Fenders or Genright. I've always wanted to run 35's and definitely will one day but...

Option 2: I do tons of driving with my LJ, especially on the Interstate and Highway and I would love some more power. Headwinds and high grades make driving in the summer with camping gear rough. Not to mention, my good ol State of Nevada has a shit ton of grades and pretty much everywhere I go is over 5k in elevation. I know the 4.0's are fairly easy to Supercharge or ad a Turbo to and one of my best friends has Supercharged and Turboed multiple 4Runners and said he would help me with the installation for free. So... I could get a pretty nice Turbo or Supercharger since I'm not paying an install fee. (If you wanna chime in on what you'd rather do, Supercharger or Turbo, that would be appreciated as well.)

I think Option 2 is more practical given how I use my jeep but I would like the 35's for both the off-road capabilities and the aesthetic reasons. I won't do as much camping this summer due to my wife being pregnant and I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks. I figured it would be a good summer to do more technical trails on the weekend rather than go on camping trips. I also don't know much about Supercharger and Turbos and how much of a difference they would make. I've read every thread on here about them and they have convinced me to seriously consider it.

Anyway, anything helps!

Well. God might have given me my answer today. 🤣 popped on of my 33’s stomping around. 35’s might have taken the lead in voting. Lol

ADD37BE0-A60D-4139-944A-02CD043CFC6E.jpeg

I vote 35's. I just feel that a Jeep wasn't really meant to go fast. It's not aerodynamic and 'fast' won't help you on the trails. A Jeep is for wheeling and 35's will help with that.

Supercharger/turbo is something you think about when everything else is done. If you're not on at least 35's yet, you're not done.

Obviously your money, do what you want.

Alright, I need some input. Every spring I get a nice chunk of change from coaching High School Basketball. I usually use it as the one time a year I add a significant upgrade to my Jeep. I'm at a crossroads to what I want to do come March...This forum is my favorite place to discuss my decision in question :ROFLMAO:

Option 1: Finally go all in on 35's. As in, completely finish the required items to run 35s properly. I already have adjustable control arms and track bars and the proper gears. I'm going to get Chromolys for Christmas (Dana 30 upfront) so I already have quite a few "Must-haves" for 35's. However, I still would need...The tires themselves (duh), a Big Break Kit, either a reinforced Tire Carrier or bumper w/ a swing-out tire carrier, and a High Line Fenders. I have a 3.5-inch lift right now and would rather do a Highline kit than add more of a lift. So either Metal Cloak Fenders or Genright. I've always wanted to run 35's and definitely will one day but...

Option 2: I do tons of driving with my LJ, especially on the Interstate and Highway and I would love some more power. Headwinds and high grades make driving in the summer with camping gear rough. Not to mention, my good ol State of Nevada has a shit ton of grades and pretty much everywhere I go is over 5k in elevation. I know the 4.0's are fairly easy to Supercharge or ad a Turbo to and one of my best friends has Supercharged and Turboed multiple 4Runners and said he would help me with the installation for free. So... I could get a pretty nice Turbo or Supercharger since I'm not paying an install fee. (If you wanna chime in on what you'd rather do, Supercharger or Turbo, that would be appreciated as well.)

I think Option 2 is more practical given how I use my jeep but I would like the 35's for both the off-road capabilities and the aesthetic reasons. I won't do as much camping this summer due to my wife being pregnant and I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks. I figured it would be a good summer to do more technical trails on the weekend rather than go on camping trips. I also don't know much about Supercharger and Turbos and how much of a difference they would make. I've read every thread on here about them and they have convinced me to seriously consider it.

Anyway, anything helps!

OK - I'll chime in.

As one of the few on the forum who has successfully run a supercharged I-6 in a TJ, my advice is to get the driveline in place first - as part of your Option 1. You break things on the TJ by running tires too big for the stock running gear, or by running too much power for the stock running gear. A properly built supercharger will add about 40% to your torque and HP curves - which can play havoc on a stock driveline. So in other words, you will need to deal with the driveline whichever way you go, so you may as well go the bigger tire route first, built the driveline appropriately, and then do the supercharger (or Turbo) later.

I'll also add that properly adding a supercharger is not at all fairly easy. When you add the complexity of an intercooler (necessary, IMO) and the associated tuning issues, it's not a slam dunk. I think I've come across more failed I6 supercharger efforts than successful.

Either way you go, please be sure to post up a built thread. We'd love to follow along and see what you do. Lots of help here as well.

Good luck!

OK - I'll chime in.

As one of the few on the forum who has successfully run a supercharged I-6 in a TJ, my advice is to get the driveline in place first - as part of your Option 1. You break things on the TJ by running tires too big for the stock running gear, or by running too much power for the stock running gear. A properly built supercharger will add about 40% to your torque and HP curves - which can play havoc on a stock driveline. So in other words, you will need to deal with the driveline whichever way you go, so you may as well go the bigger tire route first, built the driveline appropriately, and then do the supercharger (or Turbo) later.

I'll also add that properly adding a supercharger is not at all fairly easy. When you add the complexity of an intercooler (necessary, IMO) and the associated tuning issues, it's not a slam dunk. I think I've come across more failed I6 supercharger efforts than successful.

Either way you go, please be sure to post up a built thread. We'd love to follow along and see what you do. Lots of help here as well.

Good luck!

You forgot, tons and fodeez!!!

I vote 35's. I just feel that a Jeep wasn't really meant to go fast. It's not aerodynamic and 'fast' won't help you on the trails. A Jeep is for wheeling and 35's will help with that.

Supercharger/turbo is something you think about when everything else is done. If you're not on at least 35's yet, you're not done.

Obviously your money, do what you want.

Yea I’m leaning that way. Since I already have a good majority of the pieces to run 35’s already…I’ve wanted to run 35’s for so long and they have a lot of added benefit as well.

OK - I'll chime in.

Good luck!

For sure! I’ll post pictures when I start! I’m leaning towards 35’s as of now. I also think, given how much I love already done to my Jeep to prep it for 35’s it will be cheaper too. This forum has taught me to do big mods well they need to be done right and I think I’m in the position to run 35’s better rn.

I'd recommend the MORryde tailegate reinforcement kit. Shop around and you can find good prices but make sure it's the correct part number for the full kit. Do you have a body lift?
This is the website I used to buy the kit.

https://www.discountbandit.com/morr...rrier-reinfor.html?_srt=ssr&keywords=JP54-022

I don't think they are the actual people that sell the item, it's fulfilled by someone else but I had no problem.

Last edited:
OK - I'll chime in.

Good luck!

So my question is what would be propper drive line? New trans and transfer case and tons?

So my question is what would be propper drive line? New trans and transfer case and tons?

The 42RLE is fine with a proper cooler, and no issue with the T-Case. Tons are overkill for running 35s, even with a SC, and will kill your ground clearance. The 44 in the back of the LJ is fine - upgraded shafts would not hurt. The 30 up front will work fine with upgraded shafts. Along with all the other things which should be addressed to run 35's - proper gearing and brakes for example.

The 42RLE is fine with a proper cooler, and no issue with the T-Case. Tons are overkill for running 35s, even with a SC, and will kill your ground clearance. The 44 in the back of the LJ is fine - upgraded shafts would not hurt. The 30 up front will work fine with upgraded shafts. Along with all the other things which should be addressed to run 35's - proper gearing and brakes for example.

Yea that's the thought I had. I have the 44 in the rear and am putting chromoly's up front. I have the proper gears at 5.13 and will add High Line fenders to help with clearance. Need to get some Black Magic breaks and ill be golden. I agree, with proper gears the 42RLE is just fine, not great, but fine.

Reactions: John Cooper
Yea that's the thought I had. I have the 44 in the rear and am putting chromoly's up front. I have the proper gears at 5.13 and will add High Line fenders to help with clearance. Need to get some Black Magic breaks and ill be golden. I agree, with proper gears the 42RLE is just fine, not great, but fine.

I say go with with 35s that you’re mostly built for and have always wanted.

And when you’re boosted later, you’ll appreciate rolling up a high elevation grade at 75-90mph instead of 70, 66, 62, 57….

Last edited: