35s with 4.56 gears

I hopefully will be regearing soon. What ratio do you guys recommend for a 4.0/35’s/nsg370 combo?

That is my setup and I can't imagine running taller gears. Highway performance here in the high desert region would suck bad with taller gears. We have a combination of mountains and high elevation.

My rig is a bit heavy, LJR with hard top and full doors. But even if it was super light, I would not want taller gearing.

With 35s and NSG370, I can say from personal experience, 5.13 is your sweet spot. You could probably tolerate 4.88 or 5.38. But if your usage includes any amount of highway with high elevation or hills, 4.88 will not be fun.

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
With 35s and NSG370, I can say from personal experience, 5.13 is your sweet spot. You could probably tolerate 4.88 or 5.38. But if your usage includes any amount of highway with high elevation or hills, 4.88 will not be fun.

Damn it.. Now I'm back in that boat of uncertainty. I can only pay to do this one time.

Jerry I'm a big fan of yours and I have a question, i have a 97 TJ 5 speed 4.0 on 35s, I'm about to reheat but not sure what would be best, my jeep is just for highway and around town driving.

I have a 97 5 speed 4.0 on 35's. I have 4.88 gears that I went to from 3.07s. In the high desert where I'm at, I'd actually like 5.13, but I'm in the mountains at over 6k elevation. I've lived in Florida too, a long time ago. There, I'd be very happy with 4.88s.

Reactions: DougyintheBushies

That is my setup and I can't imagine running taller gears. Highway performance here in the high desert region would suck bad with taller gears. We have a combination of mountains and high elevation.

My rig is a bit heavy, LJR with hard top and full doors. But even if it was super light, I would not want taller gearing.
5.13 is perfect for your mountains and higher altitude.

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
5.13 is perfect for your mountains and higher altitude.

The 5.13 gearing I have never seems too low under any circumstances I've encountered and that includes elevations from sea level to 13,000 feet above sea level. If anything, I might prefer 5.38 at times on pavement when I have to shift down to 5th to maintain 75 or so up some grades.

I just can't imagine 4.88 being preferable under any circumstances with 35s and the NSG370 if you drive on roads with interstate speed limits.

I can set my cruise control to 80+ (actual speed) and it maintains pretty well on the interstate. I often have to downshift on climbs but it's not a bad compromise. A lighter Jeep would perform better but not enough to warrant higher gearing (eg 4.88) IMO.

YMMV

Reactions: tworley
The 5.13 gearing I have never seems too low under any circumstances I've encountered and that includes elevations from sea level to 13,000 feet above sea level. If anything, I might prefer 5.38 at times on pavement when I have to shift down to 5th to maintain 75 or so up some grades.

I just can't imagine 4.88 being preferable under any circumstances with 35s and the NSG370 if you drive on roads with interstate speed limits.

I can set my cruise control to 80+ (actual speed) and it maintains pretty well on the interstate. I often have to downshift on climbs but it's not a bad compromise. A lighter Jeep would perform better but not enough to warrant higher gearing (eg 4.88) IMO.

YMMV

I am not scared of rpm, but the downside to 5.13's would be 3400 rpm at 80. It's unnecessary except in the mountains. No, won't hurt anything, but it's a tad high.

I am not scared of rpm, but the downside to 5.13's would be 3400 rpm at 80. It's unnecessary except in the mountains. No, won't hurt anything, but it's a tad high.

this is the reason i'm running taller gears than most recommend in my dd.. i cruise between 80-90 regularly on the 405 and the high rpms were just too much for my liking with how i was geared for 33's. switched to 35's and kept the same gears and it's money on the highway. few extra shifts here and there don't bother me city driving and being in 4th gear at city cruising speeds is fun, not gonna lie.

too bad they don't make 4.72 gears, they would be perfect

this is the reason i'm running taller gears than most recommend in my dd.. i cruise between 80-90 regularly on the 405
80-90 on the 405? What? I almost lived on the 405 for many years and I can't imagine driving that fast on it without multiple stops/tickets by the CHP.

80-90 on the 405? What? I almost lived on the 405 for many years and I can't imagine driving that fast on it without multiple stops/tickets by the CHP.

those are pretty weak speeds on the 405 during off-peak hours.. chp has plenty of other rabbits to hunt :ROFLMAO: