35x13.50R15 or 35x10R15 tires

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
looking at some new Mud tires for my jeep ,,currently I am running a 35x12.5-15.

These tires come only 2 ways.
35x13.5-15 or 35x10-15
Will I really notice any difference in the 13.5 ? its only 1" wider , so 1/2" on each side,
what do yall think??

looking at some new Mud tires for my jeep ,,currently I am running a 35x12.5-15.

These tires come only 2 ways.
35x13.5-15 or 35x10-15
Will I really notice any difference in the 13.5 ? its only 1" wider , so 1/2" on each side,
what do yall think??

Well my wheels are 15 x 8 so It is not in the recommended range to run a 13.5 wide tire on my wheel.

It depends on the type of mud that you are wheelin in. The narrow tire will dig down and find the bottom better if it isn't TOO DEEP where as the wider tire will float over the top better. Less width means your rig might drag against and obstacle becasue the tires are holding you away from it.

On the road the narrow tire has less rolling resistance so better MPG and maybe a little better power felt?
Less wear on suspension and steering parts with the narrow tire.

I ran Toyo M/T 35x13.5x15 tires on a 8" wide rim no problem. And it was a 4 cyl Jeep at the time and I still ran down the road fine. It's more about your choice for the type of wheeling you do.
Also what is the load rating for each tire? C? D? E?

Super Swamper TSL SXII i think they are load range 2
KUSizeAspect RatioSection WidthWeightTire Tread WidthTire Tread DepthTread Ply RatingSide Wall PlySide Wall LetteringMinimum Rim WidthMaximum Rim WidthO.D.C.S.Revs/MileMax PSIMax LoadD.O.T. Approved
SX2-11035x13.50-153513.5085 lb1229/3264BSW91134.8513.5352600Yes

I would get a different brand of tire that comes in a 12.5. 13.5 is going to be good for wheeling, but you will need to make sure you have enough clearance.

The 10" would be better for street driving.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
I would get a different brand of tire that comes in a 12.5. 13.5 is going to be good for wheeling, but you will need to make sure you have enough clearance.

The 10" would be better for street driving.

What is wrong with a 13.5" tire? I've been running some off and on for a while.

My current tires are a 13.5".

I would think I have plenty of clearance, but how would I check that ?

What are you running right now? I forget how much lift and such that you have.

I know you said in another thread your TJ isn't your DD so that makes a difference. By going to a wider tire you run the risk of the tire rubbing on the frame or lower suspension arms. And then of course there is the issue of clearance at the fenders when flexing.

What size wheels do you have ?

When I was running the Toyo M/T's in 35X13.5X15 I had 8 inch rims but I can't tell you what the back spacing was.
Now I have 16.5" rims and they are 9" wide with 4.25" back spacing.

IMG001261[1].jpg

These are 13.5" wide tires.

The BAD to running wider tires IMO is the added wear on steering and suspension parts.

Yeah, I have 37 X 12.5 because I have a Currie 44 front that's TJ width and still stock steering. Rear is JK width. So I have clearance issues up front plus don't want to run the weight of a 13.5.

Yeah, I have 37 X 12.5 because I have a Currie 44 front that's TJ width and still stock steering. Rear is JK width. So I have clearance issues up front plus don't want to run the weight of a 13.5.

I'll be honest I've never paid a lot of attention to weight of tires when I was shopping.

I have a HP44 narrowed to Waggy width so I have clearance issues also. My tire and wheel combo weighs in around 140 lbs but I'm running heavy steel rims.

Reactions: suicideking
i have a 4" suspension ,and a 1.25 body lift. wheels are 15x8 . backspacing are something like 3.75 ??
i may be better off with a 15 x 10 wheel if i were to go to a wider tire.
most tires will give you an idea what wheel width would be the better fot the tire.
I was really excited to tryout the Nitto trail grappler MT but it only comes in a 33 for a 15" wheel.
the 35 starts at a 17" wheel. i thought that was crazy but I am a tj owner and they are phasing out tires i guess .
then i wanted the new TSL /sx 2 and they are at 13.5 wide.
I do have enough flex room for a 35 or 36" tire and if i ran out of room i will just do a highline fender in the front . I still have plenty of room for the rear tire.
so that puts me back the the BFG KM 3 mud tire . or a micky Thompson MT.

i have a 4" suspension ,and a 1.25 body lift. wheels are 15x8 . backspacing are something like 3.75 ??
i may be better off with a 15 x 10 wheel if i were to go to a wider tire.
most tires will give you an idea what wheel width would be the better fot the tire.
I was really excited to tryout the Nitto trail grappler MT but it only comes in a 33 for a 15" wheel.
the 35 starts at a 17" wheel. i thought that was crazy but I am a tj owner and they are phasing out tires i guess .
then i wanted the new TSL /sx 2 and they are at 13.5 wide.
I do have enough flex room for a 35 or 36" tire and if i ran out of room i will just do a highline fender in the front . I still have plenty of room for the rear tire.
so that puts me back the the BFG KM 3 mud tire . or a micky Thompson MT.
What gearing are you running? Your profile didn't tell me or maybe I'm too lazy to find it.
p.s. I run 10" wide wheels on mine. I like to drive in rain and snow and throw shit all over people who follow to close. They also ruin the paint on the doors because they throw crap everywhere.

Rubi tire1.jpg

Last edited: